The Seek Discomfort Waterbox

jesspal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered media basket's but I was thinking the felt filter socks would at least help clear the fine particulates in the water when the tank is first filled? Am I wrong?

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered media basket's but I was thinking the felt filter socks would at least help clear the fine particulates in the water when the tank is first filled? Am I wrong?
Not at all. I used inTanks filter floss and that also worked to filter out my initial sandstorm etc.. but the socks that came with it are fine as well

OP
OP
KyleJ42

KyleJ42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all. I used inTanks filter floss and that also worked to filter out my initial sandstorm etc.. but the socks that came with it are fine as well
I was just using the supplied sponge filter that waterbox supplies, but i just cut a piece of poly filter pad to hopefully catch the finer stuff!

OP
OP
KyleJ42

KyleJ42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found another small gorilla crab in the rocks earlier. I can tell im going to have some evicting to do ;)
giphy.gif

OP
OP
KyleJ42

KyleJ42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could use some help with ID on these.

hoping its not cirolanid isopod, but it looks like it. Also not sure thats a bristle worm. Let me know what you think!

F963ADDE-6BC7-4E94-898B-B72A305B3919.jpeg 3B1C17CE-C7E6-4ACD-9C51-2534D8DBC16D.jpeg 7BD04B8A-1554-4165-858D-971DCBFC3A43.jpeg A877200A-11E9-4D69-B9D4-6EB99E43626F.jpeg

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad luck with the live rock. I got bristle worms (don't mind them much) and a live clam. His name is Steve.

OP
OP
KyleJ42

KyleJ42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad luck with the live rock. I got bristle worms (don't mind them much) and a live clam. His name is Steve.
Im going to set up a trap for the isopod(s) and see if there are any more. I wasnt able to find any others when the lights were out last night, but that doesnt mean they arent there. I Also still need to get rid of one gorilla crab, he just hides in his hole all day and wont come out, so i’m going to have to force him out lol

OP
OP
KyleJ42

KyleJ42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve gotta say, after 3 days of this rock/sand being in the tank, its incredible stuff. I had a tube coral and a star coral come in on some rock, various barnacles and other feather dusters/ filter feeders. The amount of life is insane compared to your regular dry rock. Pests dont scare me, as the tank is fishless, so it allows me to take my time and get rid of the things unwanted. So far, its been a unique experience!
Also, for anyone wondering, i havent had any die off, and i basically skipped the cycle. Ammonia hasnt risen since its been put in. All snails/crabs are doing very well.
it was so cool looking into the tank last night and seeing one of the barnacles(atleast thats what i think it was) extend its two tentacles just slightly out of the mouth to catch anything in the water.
I think i may have killed a pompom crab by accident. It was so small, and i was trying to see if it was a gorilla, and ended up poking it and killing it. Good with the bad i guess!

OP
OP
KyleJ42

KyleJ42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Got that other dang gorilla crab out! That one was much smaller than the one i got out before the rock went into the tank. Proved to be much more difficult to get out as well, as there were so many holes inside of the rock that you couldnt see, so i could trap the guy in on one side, but when id try to pull him out, he’d go up into another hole. Ended up forcing him out the back side and taking the rock out of the tank into a container, and scooping him out that way. FWEW!

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! I've considered tbs rock many times over the years, but I always back out at the last moment. Maybe ill set up a little nano and give it a try

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What container are you using for you ATO supply? I'm currently using a Seachem 5 gallon water transport container, but the its beena little challenging since the entire top doesn't open. What you are using seems like a nicer solution.

OP
OP
KyleJ42

KyleJ42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What container are you using for you ATO supply? I'm currently using a Seachem 5 gallon water transport container, but the its beena little challenging since the entire top doesn't open. What you are using seems like a nicer solution.
It was an $8 food storage container from walmart. Teal lid. Had a separate serving lid inside that could open and close depending on what you had in there, but i took it out so i could just drill the two holes for the hose and power line. Pretty simple setup and its about 3 gallons. I dont get much evaporation so it lasts over a week or 2

OP
OP
KyleJ42

KyleJ42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! I've considered tbs rock many times over the years, but I always back out at the last moment. Maybe ill set up a little nano and give it a try
Dont back out! The small nuisance pests can be removed. Its so worth it imo. Just staring at rock has kept me busy and i dont even mind not having any fish in there. I’ll take the slight time it takes to remove hitchhikers i dont want, than for it to take 2 years to establish a dry rock tank. Just my .02 though, i’ve done it both ways. Im loving it!

OP
OP
KyleJ42

KyleJ42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have the second shipment sometime next week hopefully! I cant tell you how excited i’ve been over freakin rock. Brings that whole “pet rock” thing back years ago to a whole new level.

OP
OP
KyleJ42

KyleJ42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found the “didnt know there was another one” gorilla crab hiding in a small rock. Thing was tiny. Had no idea how to get that sucker out so i just “poked” him out unfortunately.

On a side note, if you really want to see where all the algae is at, put a yellow lens on your camera

6310BD61-A89C-468D-ADFF-BB2477F2320E.jpeg CD4D0BB5-C45B-4091-9224-8DA4DC979B4E.jpeg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back