This (Kessil) or that (radion)

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard 180. 6x2x2. Going to be sps dominant. Maybe a few lps or softies here and there. Would you go with Kessil a360x mixed with t5 bulbs. Or some radion xr30. Was thinking 3-4 Kessil with 4 t5 bulbs. And 3-4 xr30 probably without t5 unless corals got to a size where it seemed necessary. I’m having trouble deciding between the two options

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard 180. 6x2x2. Going to be sps dominant. Maybe a few lps or softies here and there. Would you go with Kessil a360x mixed with t5 bulbs. Or some radion xr30. Was thinking 3-4 Kessil with 4 t5 bulbs. And 3-4 xr30 probably without t5 unless corals got to a size where it seemed necessary. I’m having trouble deciding between the two options
I currently have a RedSea 750 XXL (Very similar dimensions to a standard 180) with 3 Kessil A360s and 2 AP 9Xs. I am very happy with this combination If you are going All LED I would suggest 3 XR30 or 3 9Xs. I only went with the combo of 360s and 9Xs because the 360s came from my previous tank.

If I am honest. My last tank was a 4x2x2 With 4 t5s and 3 360s. I believe I got better results with the hybrid than the 5 Kessils I have on the tank now. It is cool to have all LED but T5s offer great coverage and a very broad spectrum with more UV and infrared than most any LED can provide.

I would recommend going with the Hybrid setup. 3 Kessils would work 4 would be better.

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above, except I think you will need more than 4 Kessils if going SPS dominant. I really enjoy my Kessil A360WE's, with ATI Blue Plus T5 and Blue/Violet LED bars as supplementation. Great color, great shimmer, great coverage. My high light demanding anemones and my SPS frags are doing great under this combo. I have 4 spaced over a 4 foot long tank.

OP
OP
T

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a RedSea 750 XXL (Very similar dimensions to a standard 180) with 3 Kessil A360s and 2 AP 9Xs. I am very happy with this combination If you are going All LED I would suggest 3 XR30 or 3 9Xs. I only went with the combo of 360s and 9Xs because the 360s came from my previous tank.

If I am honest. My last tank was a 4x2x2 With 4 t5s and 3 360s. I believe I got better results with the hybrid than the 5 Kessils I have on the tank now. It is cool to have all LED but T5s offer great coverage and a very broad spectrum with more UV and infrared than most any LED can provide.

I would recommend going with the Hybrid setup. 3 Kessils would work 4 would be better.
Would you happen to be familiar with you park levels in your tank?

OP
OP
T

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above, except I think you will need more than 4 Kessils if going SPS dominant. I really enjoy my Kessil A360WE's, with ATI Blue Plus T5 and Blue/Violet LED bars as supplementation. Great color, great shimmer, great coverage. My high light demanding anemones and my SPS frags are doing great under this combo. I have 4 spaced over a 4 foot long tank.
I think that if I would end up needing more than 4 Kessil and some t5 then I would just go with xr30. Maybe 4 of them

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your tank have bracing on the top? Mine has two bracing bars. Because of that, I ended up with six kessil a360 we’s in my T5 hybrid for my 6 ft 180 gallon mixed reef tank. I was an early adopter of kessils from MH and kept accumulating them :)

I do like my lighting. But there are definitely more economical options.

If I were to start over, I might look at something like the Reefi Unos or reefbreeders. I do really like kessil shimmer though.

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with kessil over radion simply to not have to bother with Mobius and after seeing other people with radions complaining about it I am SUUPER happy I did.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't ask but I'll toss this out there anyway. I have the same size 180g. I'm running 6 Noopsyche K7 v3 pro lights. I have two over each section between the braces mounted lengthwise front to back. The only sps are monticaps which are growing like never before and a few branching montis. I am able to keep clams now which I never could before. I'm getting 300 par on the bottom where the derasa sits and 350 a couple of inches off the bottom where the maxima is. I also have two reefbreeder photon pro and 3 xr15 gen 4 (I refuse to use Mobius) as well as am Ai hydra 26. All are great lights but for some reason I'm able to get better colors. At least what to me look better. Just food for thought :winking-face:
A fts to show how they are mounted
20230805_195708.jpg

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you happen to be familiar with you park levels in your tank?
I measured the par during the initial setup with the goal of 150 in the sand. The kessils were at about 60% intensity at that time. I have since raised the intensity slowly but have not remeasured it. The par is there. I personally like high-par tanks with say 200 in the sand.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Radion by a mile.

I ran both Kessil and Radion on the same tank. 1 side had Kessil and the other Radion. After 6 months it wasn’t even close which side was doing better.

If you want Kessil, plan to run double what they recommend or add something like the AI Blade Glow for some good fill light.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For starters, you are comparing two different LED styles, point source and panel, so this isn't an apples to apples comparison. Whatever LED fixture you choose, you're gonna need double what you think if you're planning sps dominant. If I were to go all LED sps dominant tank, I would do a combo of different styles/types of fixtures, but this depends if you're going to have a canopy or this is a clean rimless look? If you're considering Radions, then I would look into Reefi Uno Pro 2.0, you'll get more bang for your buck with these fixtures. Personally, I would go with Quanta Pro bars as my fill light, a couple Kessil's for shimmer/contrast and a couple Reefi's for power.

OP
OP
T

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your tank have bracing on the top? Mine has two bracing bars. Because of that, I ended up with six kessil a360 we’s in my T5 hybrid for my 6 ft 180 gallon mixed reef tank. I was an early adopter of kessils from MH and kept accumulating them :)

If I were to start over, I might look at something like the Reefi Unos or reefbreeders. I do really like kessil shimmer though.
It does have two braces across the top. The tank does have a hood but depending on which route I end up going with I’ll either redesign the hood or just remove it altogether. I’m chasing after a bit of form and function. I like the Kessil shimmer. I also like how the spectrum is set. Radion well tbh I feel like I know they’ll do the job buuuuut if I don’t have to spend that much on lighting then I’m not opposed to saving a little bit either. I currently have two other tanks. One is Kessil lit and the other is radion

OP
OP
T

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you have your Kessils in 2 rows of 3?

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say that I love my 9Xs These are great. The difference in coverage between a 2-puck 9X and 1-puck 360s is massive. I have considered going to 3 9Xs instead of the 3 360s and 2 9Xs but ultimately that would be spending money on something that is working just fine.

My dream SPS set up would be 3 9Xs with t5 but I have a mixed tank that is doing well as is.

OP
OP
T

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For starters, you are comparing two different LED styles, point source and panel, so this isn't an apples to apples comparison. Whatever LED fixture you choose, you're gonna need double what you think if you're planning sps dominant. If I were to go all LED sps dominant tank, I would do a combo of different styles/types of fixtures, but this depends if you're going to have a canopy or this is a clean rimless look? If you're considering Radions, then I would look into Reefi Uno Pro 2.0, you'll get more bang for your buck with these fixtures. Personally, I would go with Quanta Pro bars as my fill light, a couple Kessil's for shimmer/contrast and a couple Reefi's for power.
Very good point about point and panel source I have considered it. What I haven’t considered was a combination of lighting beyond led/t5. I never thought multiple led types. Definitely some good food for thought here. It currently has a canopy. If I do remove it which I’m not opposed depending on how I mount the lights it’ll be canopy-less but it’ll have a rim still

OP
OP
T

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radion by a mile.

I ran both Kessil and Radion on the same tank. 1 side had Kessil and the other Radion. After 6 months it wasn’t even close which side was doing better.

If you want Kessil, plan to run double what they recommend or add something like the AI Blade Glow for some good fill light.
So I’m not opposed to adding supplemental lighting if anything I’m actually hoping for it. I’m also kind of for the idea of adding to the lighting as the tank needs instead of all at once. Tbh I even considered doing half and half.

In your experience was that purely growth? Over all look? Sps? Lps? Mixed?

OP
OP
T

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 A360x with a T5 hybrid over my 36 inch tank.

My PAR level is 450 4 inches deep at the center of the tank with the Kessils set at 65 intensity and 20 color.

4 Kessils will get it done with T5.
I am thinking that should be plenty. At least until the tank is full of larger colonies. But smaller frags and or smaller colones won’t require as much

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back