Toadstool corals

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’m new to saltwater and I heard toadstool is a easy beginner coral can I see everyone’s and do you recommend putting in the sand on a frag plug and let it grow or atach it to a rock
Thanks

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are fairly easy and pretty hardy. They can be temperamental and stay closed at times. Mine will close for up to a week or more when they shed. Just mentioning that because folks not familiar with them tend to worry when that happens. They need to be attached to a rock that they will grow on. If you buy one it should be attached to some type of rock. They can not be glued like coral but need to be allowed to grow on the rock. Some people use rubber bands or fishing string to secure them to the rock untill they attach. Mine like a lot of light and flow but I've seen them kept in lower light and flow as well. These are two of my 3. The third is being temperamental today :winking-face:
20231210_133933.jpg

20231210_133945.jpg

Just throwing this out there since you said you were new. I've had good luck with Sinularia which is another type of leather and have been pretty easy and hardy. Mine love high flow and light. I find high flow caused them to grow big thick stalks which I prefer over long and skinny.
These are my two Sinularia,one neon green and a plain one.
20231210_135243.jpg

OP
OP
Benji k

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are fairly easy and pretty hardy. They can be temperamental and stay closed at times. Mine will close for up to a week or more when they shed. Just mentioning that because folks not familiar with them tend to worry when that happens. They need to be attached to a rock that they will grow on. If you buy one it should be attached to some type of rock. They can not be glued like coral but need to be allowed to grow on the rock. Some people use rubber bands or fishing string to secure them to the rock untill they attach. Mine like a lot of light and flow but I've seen them kept in lower light and flow as well. These are two of my 3. The third is being temperamental today :winking-face:
20231210_133933.jpg

20231210_133945.jpg

Just throwing this out there since you said you were new. I've had good luck with Sinularia which is another type of leather and have been pretty easy and hardy. Mine love high flow and light. I find high flow caused them to grow big thick stalks which I prefer over long and skinny.
20231210_135243.jpg
I have not the best light but I have lots of flow in the first photo of that leather is it sitting in a rock on the sand can I keep mine on the frag plug it comes in and sit it on that in the sand and should the toadstool grow up to the light

OP
OP
Benji k

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20231210_133933.jpg

20231210_133945.jpg

20231210_135243.jpg
Yeah I’ve heard about the pulsing pink Sinularia is that the one you have I’ve heard they can get big but ther really cool

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’ve heard about the pulsing pink Sinularia is that the one you have I’ve heard they can get big but ther really cool
No they don't pulse. They can get large but I've also seen some huge toadstools.
They do grow toward the light. One will outgrow a frag plug pretty quickly. I really need to mount the one of mine on the sand to a larger rock.

OP
OP
Benji k

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they don't pulse. They can get large but I've also seen some huge toadstools.
They do grow toward the light. One will outgrow a frag plug pretty quickly. I really need to mount the one of mine on the sand to a larger rock.
I’ll get some more smaller rocks for my tank so I can put the toadstool on when it put grows

OP
OP
Benji k

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the one I’m thinking about I’m not sure if they pulse but I saw someone on YouTube that had this coral and it was really big and clown fish were hosting it
0891F10C-1586-43A8-A4D5-FD0FCBCCCB25.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back