OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hard time keeping mine happy. Water changes usualy picks things up, now Im guessing that high phosphates and low nitrates is my problem.....@najer what do you think
20190110_161212 (1).jpg

Looks good to me. Pretty colors. Unbalanced nutrients can be a problem for lots of things. I'm in the same boat with the high phosphates. Maybe try some phosphate media, but go slow.

Mine has been in high phosphates for a while and seems to have no effect on it. My clowns even rub on it from time to time.

View attachment 20181227_165229.jpg

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It still looks full, just a little less colorful. Try and keep your parameters stable and maybe shade it a bit until it recovers. Also remember, LPS are hungry hungry corals. Feed them, and feed them often. Meaty foods twice a week.

A good way to appetize them is to dust them with some soaked reef roids, or reef chili, or any dried coral food. Just soak it for a bit then use a pipette or turkey baster to gently spray the coral with the food. It should extend feeder tentacles, then you can follow up with some mysis, or other frozen fish food like LRS or Rod's...

I've also made a really thick paste with reef roids and used a syringe to squirt it directly onto the coral's mouth. Looks like soft serve ice cream coming out of the machine. Be gentle squirting, a sharp blast will make the coral close up and it wont eat.

I may have to try the pre feed some time. I've tried to get mine to eat some bigger foods like krill and it's so slow somebody inevitably steals it from them before they get it. My melanarus wrasse actually took a krill out of the big guys mouth when it was 3/4 of the way in.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have to try the pre feed some time. I've tried to get mine to eat some bigger foods like krill and it's so slow somebody inevitably steals it from them before they get it. My melanarus wrasse actually took a krill out of the big guys mouth when it was 3/4 of the way in.

Yea, that is a problem. Opportunistic fish or shrimp will steal food. Try and oppupy them with something on other side of the tank, then try the pre feed method. Once feeders are out, then put the larger food on there. I like something meaty, like fish or scallop. Mysis work. Krill seems a bit too rough around the edges to me, but may be just fine. My trachy has digested a nerite snail once. Fell on top of it when I knocked him off the screen top and out came feeders and in went the snail.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, that is a problem. Opportunistic fish or shrimp will steal food. Try and oppupy them with something on other side of the tank, then try the pre feed method. Once feeders are out, then put the larger food on there. I like something meaty, like fish or scallop. Mysis work. Krill seems a bit too rough around the edges to me, but may be just fine. My trachy has digested a nerite snail once. Fell on top of it when I knocked him off the screen top and out came feeders and in went the snail.

Wow, that's crazy. I will give it a shot one day and see if it works. Both of mine are healthy and are always colored up. The smaller one just hasn't grown much. I keep krill and silversides around for my dwarf golden, maybe I'll try chopping one up and see what the trachy does. I keep the krill because my rock flowers seem to love them so much.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say this, but I have never fed mine any thing but reef roids.... I do feed my tank heavy frozen.
I feed so heavy and I have so much phosphate in the water, that I haven't even fed reef roids in a while. Target or broadcast. My LPS put feeders out daily, but they are always full and colorful also. I've just been dosing phyto to try and help clean the water up some. I figured it's still photosynthesizing in the tank before it gets eaten, right? 20ml a day in 100 gallons probably isn't going to make a difference.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want to find a rainbow trachy. The ones on Aqua SD are a bit overpriced. I finally bought one on their 50% off sale and they called me the night it was supposed to ship and said it wasn't healthy. Womp, Womp! The search continues...

Last edited:

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is still in QT, and this is an older shot, but the colours are still spot on.

happy_trachy_top by Kyl, on Flickr

One of my favourites, lately it's been getting super inflated pre and post feedings (LPS pellets).

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to find a rainbow trachy. The ones on Aqua SD are a bit overpriced. I finally bought one on their 50% off sale and they called me the night it was supposed to ship and said it wasn't healthy. Womp, Womp! The search continues...
Check out Corals.com, He has 25% specials all the time also Vivid corals Had some nice ones and are in CA....Live Aquaria is really a good mix of price and color. Now go find one;) BOL

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya with the Indo ban they are hard to come by
Yep, I haven't seen another raidata on the Diver's Den since I bought mine. All of them have been geoffroyi... A friend of mine picked up a nice red and blue radiata(I think) from a LFS about an hour away.

Not that there is anything wrong with geoffroyi, I just like the compact folded radiata more than the flat geoffroyi. I haven't seen any folded geoffroyi in a long time either.

gencarson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Robin. I'll move him into a little less bright of a location. I target feed all the LPS with some reef roids, and coral snow at least twice a week. That was a good call about thickening it up a bit. I feed the rest of the tank a mix between San Fran frozen mysis, brine shrimp, fish eggs, and plankton. I usually do it opposite, frozen then coral targeting. I think I'll try to reverse it a bit and see if that helps.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back