Translate this Sump

freshwaterguy0987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I inherited this sump with a home purchase. It's a freshwater sump. Has anyone seen one like this? There is a drawer that goes in in the top of the left compartment.

My assumption is that water moves left-to-right, with the drawer meant for floss/pads. I want to have a freshwater refugium, but I'm not sure whether it's best in the first compartment (below the drawer) or second compartment (will there be enough water in this one?).

Please help with thoughts on how best to utilize this! It will sit under a 680 gal aquarium.

sump.png

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The drawer was used for filter floss sheets before filter socks were invented.

Below the floss folks had bioballs, that sat on another drawer / rack inside the sump/.

OP
OP
F

freshwaterguy0987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The drawer was used for filter floss sheets before filter socks were invented.

Below the floss folks had bioballs, that sat on another drawer / rack inside the sump/.
Yes, there is a shelf that inserts at the bottom of the first compartment (below the drawer). So, I'll follow that setup. Thanks! Any thoughts on what to do with the 2nd and 3rd compartments?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to put live rock, skimmer, and a fuge area in a sump if I can. Not sure what you are talking about "Fresh water?" :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Sorry, actually-
Agree with @TX_REEF that the second chamber would make an excellent refugium. I have a freshwater pond with water hyacinth in it, but I'm not familiar with what other plants folks might use for this application?

Otherwise, the second chamber can house heaters, carbon filtration, filter brushes, UV, all the common pond filter equipment you might want to hide from view.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back