Trident FAQ (official)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose you could reset the time zone on the apex ..... in my case I could adjust it to two hours ahead. I’d have to change all my lighting program as well, but that would align the 6 am/pm alk at least with lights on/off. Probably more trouble than it’s worth though.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree. the question is - does it matter in 'real life'. The theory sounds good - I might change my alk dosage more to daytime:)

I think it matters more depending on how much dkh your tank consumes. Mine consumes 3+ dkh. Once I split my dosing schedule, I saw a noticeable difference in my acros. But dialing it in manually testing twice a day is annoying! I’d much rather do it with a Trident. Just can’t do it as currently designed.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MnFish1, this thread too has rolled out of control and I cannot keep up due to the amount of crosstalk that goes on. Not enough time in the day for me to do that and all the other stuff I have to do and follow. From time to time if I happen to catch an actual question in passing, I will answer it.

In this case the schedule is the way it is because of how the Apex schedules things between 00:01 and 00:00 and because of the desire to have the the tests be equidistant from each other. That’s as much as I have been told so no point in trying to press me for more details than that. Can’t say if that’s the way it will always be or not. Just that’s the way it is.

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Terence, what happens if some tiny bits of detritus is sucked up while it's testing? I'm just thinking of the cumulative effects of detritus getting sucked in after hundreds of tests. Does the Trident have some sort of filter? Thanks.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terence, what happens if some tiny bits of detritus is sucked up while it's testing? I'm just thinking of the cumulative effects of detritus getting sucked in after hundreds of tests. Does the Trident have some sort of filter? Thanks.

After what is likely hundreds of thousands of tests performed, we have possibly one case of this issue that was mostly cause by where the tube was located. We have explored a filter option, but that came with a whole slew of other potential side effects. Knowing how things work, it is most likely to have an acute incident of clogging or potential clogging from using a clear tube and algae building up inside it. It is unlikely that any foreign matter will accumulate over time.

Hoyhoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear @Terence, are you guys doing anything to increase the production rates of the tridents? Judging by how fast the units sell on most online retailers, I wont be able to get one this year...

Thanks.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I think people are finding that just the opposite is true. The corals use alkalinity during the day while the lights are on, so that’s when the big alkalinity demand is. If you are dosing at night you’re creating much more of a swing than you would be doing most of your dosing during the day when the high demand is happening.

This has been know for quite some time now. Personally never understood increasing dosing at night. I even feed during lights on.

I don’t have a Trident, but notice that my dKH decreases right about the time my T5 lights go out around 5pm. I get to test as frequently as I want though so I change frequency based on what I am doing with my system. Was testing every hour will adding kalk into the mix now back to every 6 hours.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I - for example start my alk at 8PM - and dose every hour until 8 AM - Its common sense (I dont need a trident) to decide to dose more alk at night.

My corals are still in-taking the big-3 / 3 hours after lights out.

Most of us use to dose alk during the night to help hold the ph during lights out.

But... Keeping alk rock steady 24/7, has shown improvement in my reef.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, dosing Alk at night comes from a time where keeping pH stable was a key priority. However, it makes no sense from a metabolic point of view given corals consume most Alk and Calcium during the day hours, when most of the skeleton growth occurs.

My tank consumes about 1,5dKh daily. During the night it only takes up about 10% of this (without dosing Alk drops 0,15 dKH). I now dose kalk during the night which boosts pH and keeps up with the small demand and two part during the day. Alk is rock solid all around [emoji4].

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This has been know for quite some time now. Personally never understood increasing dosing at night. I even feed during lights on.

I don’t have a Trident, but notice that my dKH decreases right about the time my T5 lights go out around 5pm. I get to test as frequently as I want though so I change frequency based on what I am doing with my system. Was testing every hour will adding kalk into the mix now back to every 6 hours.

Dosing at night (esp if using soda ash) increases the pH (at least some). But - if your alkalinity starts decreasing at 5PM - doesnt that suggest you would want to dose at that time?

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Terence ,
I know you said previously:
Our products generally release to markets outside NA around 90 days subsequent to their NA release.
Is this "still" the plan with the Trident? I spoke to CHA here in the UK when the Trident first launched and they where hoping for 90 Days, however when i spoke to them again this week i was told to forget about it this year and it would likely be mid next year due to the demand. Is this true? I know the Trident is in very high demand and you guys are doing the best you can however could you shine a light on your UK plans?
Kind regards,
TinCanHero

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence When doing controlled dosing with the DOS is there a way to see how many mls vs target range that I programmed after running the task? After running the Trident for a month and consistently testing my alk/ca consumption is going up slightly and I’d like to keep track of that info today vs lets say 2yrs from now.

sticksreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence after i calibrated my trident i realized it logged the calibration to the graph. Alk was 8.2 and mag 1450 just like the bottle indicated.

But for Calcium is showed 607 on the calibration and the bottle is marked at 470. Does that means its off? Miss calibrated?

61EE4F28-F002-4326-8F64-5BCE06120F7C.png

eschulist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence after i calibrated my trident i realized it logged the calibration to the graph. Alk was 8.2 and mag 1450 just like the bottle indicated.

But for Calcium is showed 607 on the calibration and the bottle is marked at 470. Does that means its off? Miss calibrated?

<---- Was on NSI for Trident since Jan.

This happens in the background midway through the test. Its actually doing the full run of test 2-3 times during Calibration. It does a wide range test to get a rough idea where to perform a precise version on the next test. This wide range test can make it seem like it grabbed a bit of bad data but the next test will usually nail the calibration solution.

DwFyZ2Xl.png

Here are my final test results. (Check the time and look at the graph closely)

IOXexOmh.png

Here are the values from just minutes before when it got results from the wide range test. Low Mg and High Mg that aren't anywhere near the calibration values.

rP1MR4eh.png

I bet if you ran a manual test while keeping the sample line still in the calibration solution it would be very close to the labeled values.

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this has already been asked but what’s the release date for the UK ?

I need to have one! Lol

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For individual customer situations I will ask that you use our normal support channels.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Terence When doing controlled dosing with the DOS is there a way to see how many mls vs target range that I programmed after running the task? After running the Trident for a month and consistently testing my alk/ca consumption is going up slightly and I’d like to keep track of that info today vs lets say 2yrs from now.

Not that I am aware of. Sorry.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Terence ,
I know you said previously:

Is this "still" the plan with the Trident? I spoke to CHA here in the UK when the Trident first launched and they where hoping for 90 Days, however when i spoke to them again this week i was told to forget about it this year and it would likely be mid next year due to the demand. Is this true? I know the Trident is in very high demand and you guys are doing the best you can however could you shine a light on your UK plans?
Kind regards,
TinCanHero

We still have not set a firm date for Tridents to move outside of North America. That said, I think that CH is way off base here. It will happen this year.

TinCanHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We still have not set a firm date for Tridents to move outside of North America. That said, I think that CH is way off base here. It will happen this year.

Many thanks for your reply! This gives me hope I can get mine before Christmas! :) Keep up the good work.
Kind regards,
TinCanHero.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back