Trident FAQ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my tank as of today as a result of good reef keeping and Apex Control :

8f86708d945540a298ad9b0aa0c4d881.jpg

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regal for sure the king of the tank. He begs me for food. He eats like a pig... I can actually hand feed him pellets...

Here's my Apex Fusion:
cc848c444081068696fbaecbf0aac9b0.jpg

Last edited:

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good catch on the wrasse.... That Rhomboid was a drab looking female. 6 months later almost terminal male..
He's some others I have. I have a passion for wrasse...
c6625ffbdf6e1d634dd112308fb4bb0f.jpg
e338b6cb9052cd4e0e36306504edfb73.jpg
706f5fc5b0724fc1391b3d1eced7475f.jpg
3e59c2350a47ff273cf28aa0818e2d82.jpg

Last edited:

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Reeferhigh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have any type of controller at the moment so I am most interested in the Trident so I can kill 2 birds with one stone.

I tried to read through and find out but I couldnt see it so sorry if this has already been answered.

It states that it monitors the parameters, I will definitely be sold on it if it can also control the dose to keep these paramaters. Can it do that? and if it can, how does it go about it? at the moment I dose 24 times a day, will this system only dose 4 times a day based on the readings? or will it do 24 doses a day, and top up/skip/alter dosage amounts split over 24 doses?

Thank you

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do not have any type of controller at the moment so I am most interested in the Trident so I can kill 2 birds with one stone.

I tried to read through and find out but I couldnt see it so sorry if this has already been answered.

It states that it monitors the parameters, I will definitely be sold on it if it can also control the dose to keep these paramaters. Can it do that? and if it can, how does it go about it? at the moment I dose 24 times a day, will this system only dose 4 times a day based on the readings? or will it do 24 doses a day, and top up/skip/alter dosage amounts split over 24 doses?

Thank you
Neptune has the DOS system for dosing. I'd imagine that there will be some type of integration with this that will allow you to control amounts being dosed out over the day based on the readings of the Trident.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any of you concerned with the fact that the same pump fills the chamber with tank water and reagent? Considering both liquids (different liquids) will be coming from different locations using different length hoses, they would need separate calibration points. Even if they can be calibrated individually up to the hose switching point, I wonder if this could cause accuracy issues overtime. I haven't been following this really as I have an alkatronic but was curious and read this:

"For those unfamiliar with the concept behind this new device, here’s a simplified overview: A small pump is utilized to sample tank water. The same pump then applies reagents to the sample, while an electronic eye monitors for the color change that occurs as a result of the test. Once complete, the system is flushed and ready to test again."

I also am very curious if they will actually obtain +/- .05 DkH accuracy by monitoring color change with an optical eye vs pH based titration.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is interesting to have some insight into how the unit works but i am sure that the accuracy is, or is very close to the stated accuracy.

But for the record, ph probes are notorious for going bad and wavering from calibration. I use them everyday at work and I can tell you that we are constantly swapping out high quality, laboratory grade PH probes.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is interesting to have some insight into how the unit works but i am sure that the accuracy is, or is very close to the stated accuracy.

But for the record, ph probes are notorious for going bad and wavering from calibration. I use them everyday at work and I can tell you that we are constantly swapping out high quality, laboratory grade PH probes.

Well did they say that was the final official accuracy? I assumed that was preliminary. If not I agree it would be what's stated. Regardless It'd be pretty dumb to release that without being confident it would hold true.

As far as your experience of pH probes being notorious for going bad and wavering from calibration, that's your experience and also are two different things and not necessarily mutually exclusive. Wavering from calibration can be easily remedied by calibrating regularly, which everyone should be doing anyway. "high quality" lab grade probes are also not all the same and there are several factors as far as installation and operating environment that influence their performance and longevity. Having said that I'm not here to challenge your experiences lol, so let's move past that.

The alkatronic uses pH based titration and has stated accuracy of the same +/- .05 dkH. However in later testing and supposedly expected in most installations it will achieve greater than that like +/- .03. So pH based titration is certainly as if not more accurate. I have found that to be true through my testing of dkh standardized solutions as well as in the accuracy and consistency of the testing of my aquarium.

I'm less concerned with that aspect though, so please focus on this (i dont want to debate ph probes/ph titration accuracy etc): the one pump dosinh different solutions. They may have come up with a way to deal with that and I'm curious to know what it is. That's really what I was expecting to receive as a reply. Someone telling me how/why it's not an issue. I'm curious.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well did they say that was the final official accuracy? I assumed that was preliminary. If not I agree it would be what's stated. Regardless It'd be pretty dumb to release that without being confident it would hold true.

As far as your experience of pH probes being notorious for going bad and wavering from calibration, that's your experience and also are two different things and not necessarily mutually exclusive. Wavering from calibration can be easily remedied by calibrating regularly, which everyone should be doing anyway. "high quality" lab grade probes are also not all the same and there are several factors as far as installation and operating environment that influence their performance and longevity. Having said that I'm not here to challenge your experiences lol, so let's move past that.

The alkatronic uses pH based titration and has stated accuracy of the same +/- .05 dkH. However in later testing and supposedly expected in most installations it will achieve greater than that like +/- .03. So pH based titration is certainly as if not more accurate. I have found that to be true through my testing of dkh standardized solutions as well as in the accuracy and consistency of the testing of my aquarium.

I'm less concerned with that aspect though, so please focus on this (i dont want to debate ph probes/ph titration accuracy etc): the one pump dosinh different solutions. They may have come up with a way to deal with that and I'm curious to know what it is. That's really what I was expecting to receive as a reply. Someone telling me how/why it's not an issue. I'm curious.
I am curious..if you have an alkatronic.. why are you concerned at all about the trident?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back