Red or Green?

• Total voters

Beancounter27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, All -

I'm upgrading and tossing my Aqueon ProFlex, apparently too much flex as it has begun bowing over the years and swear the stand is damp on colder days, but can't find the leak.

Having a hard time deciding which Trigger Sump I'd like to go with, Emerald 26 or Ruby 30. Here is my analysis:

Ruby:
Dual drain pipes - greater flow through system. I have the EcoTech Vectra, and it's way underutilized, because I only have a single drain overflow rated at 800gph (to match the Aqueon sump). I'd be getting a new overflow with dual drains rated for 1200gph (extra expense). My tank has a little bit of clumping sand, so thinking that this can only help it.
Color - my skimmer is a Red Octopus. Aesthetically better, but not make/break.

Emerald:
Enclosed drain box - with the old Aqueon, salt creep is all over my stand and floor. Rushing out my door hinges, and overall just a mess. From other posts, it sounds like the enclosure helps prevent most of this.
Maintenance - Seems that maintaining the sock might be easier, lifting it out, instead of having to loop it over a DIY silencing PVC pipe as I would have to do with the Ruby.
ATO tube holder - nice but also not make/break.

Everything else is pretty much equal, including the price. Water volume isn't too much different, skimmer water level will be set at the max 9.5 (same on both), chambers are pretty much similar in size. Don't have probes yet, so not worried about that yet, but would be ready with either.

I'm leaning towards Ruby because of system water flow, but really want to minimize/eliminate the salt creep around the sump, which I think Emerald might do. Maintenance should be not hateful, so I can stay motivated to do it.

Sigh...Hope you can help.

Thanks in advance for helping this new member of the forums!

90gDT
4 fish - powder tang, black tang, perc clown, flame angel
4 shrimp - 2 peppermints, 2 cleaners
other inverts - 3 urchins (anyone want em?), turbos, hermits, sand sifter
small beginner-ish corals - birdnest, candycane, monty, frogspawn
dying rose anemone :(
bristleworms, aptasia >=(

JBradford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having this debate. I'm leaving towards the emerald because I like the cover for the returns for the same reason you mentioned. And it's green, which is my jam, and I'll be redoing my plumbing with green pvc/black sch 80 fittings which will make it all match. I'd like bigger than the 26, and I can fit it in the stand under my 90 but I can't get it thru the doors. My wife right now is against my cutting a new access door on the end to slide in the sump.

OP
OP
B

Beancounter27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up going with the Emerald 34. In love with this sump. (ok, weird). While it does take up 75% of my cabinet space, I just had to get creative with my cable management. Still working on optimizing it, but had an ich outbreak (whole other discussion). But extremely happy with the leap.

JB - Did you pull the trigger for your Trigger? Always remember, happy wife...well, you know the rest!
RM - Thanks for keeping my thread afloat! =)

-B

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back