triton milk container leaking

Discussion in 'Triton Applied Reef Bioscience' started by Jimmy Lee, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Want2BS8ed

Want2BS8ed Active Member R2R Supporter

Well said...

M

2. Want2BS8ed

[​IMG]

For no other reason than I love eggnog and looking at Lasse's refrigerator every time I open TapaTalk is killing me!! LOL

rockskimmerflow likes this.
  3. Daltrey

Daltrey Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

I believe these are just rumors. Mine haven't leaked yet.

20180118_215546.jpg

rockskimmerflow and tastyfish like this.
  4. Want2BS8ed

Ha ha! Unobtainume... the plastic bottles formerly known as _____________...

5. tastyfish

tastyfish Active Member UK Reef Club Member

Is that all they were shipped in Joseph?

6. Want2BS8ed

I'm not sure... I'll ask though!

One thing is for sure, that's how the old containers came. Uniquecorals would tape two of those boxes together, slap a label on them and ship them from California to Virginia without incident with the plastic bottles.

M

7. tastyfish

tastyfish Active Member UK Reef Club Member

Ah, sorry Michael, didn't realise that these aren't yours, and that you're re-posting what someone else put up on the Triton FB group?

8. Want2BS8ed

No worries. Joseph was kind enough to answer: the Triton box shown in his picture was shipped inside another box.

That's disconcerting for both Triton's distributors and end users as well. Before the bottles and boxes were reliable enough they could be shipped in their original 4-pack carton. Now they must be packed in a second box to protect the more delicate milk cartons...

More volume, more packing, a second box, more weight and thus more shipping expense from the distributor to the end user.

It would appear that even without the penalty pricing that any savings to the final consumer will be negated and will likely wind up costing more in the long run.

Meantime in the US and elsewhere outside of Europe, we will continue to pay a double penalty: first for the plastic bottle we are not getting and then a second time for the final extra delivery cost to protect the contents in a less robust container on the final 'to door' delivery.

Triton, if you are too stubborn to admit the transition to cardboard packaging, leaking containers and 3-month supply outage has been an unmitigated public relations disaster, at least have the common sense to recognize that maintaining an artificially high price to cover your missteps is only tossing salt in an open wound.

You need to do SOMETHING to keep your customer base satisfied or it will continue to transition to your competitors.

M

9. rockskimmerflow

rockskimmerflow Active Member

Exactly. I called this literally as soon as I saw the milk containers and leaking issue. U.S. distribution channels are so rough on packaging I knew they would have huge damage losses due to the flimsy milk containers. I literally went oh man how many of these are going to get split on their way to my business. Little did I know it was a defect in the the milk cartons themselves causing the intial widespread issues, but I'd wager some of what Triton thought was defective cartons were actually just ones subjected to normal U.S. shipping wear and tear. I got in my first ever order of core 7, months ago, a set of 4 of the 1L cases. 2 of them came in with the box crumpled and rounded into a proverbial oval, and to my shock the bottles were pristine inside. I was 'sold' from that point on that Triton not only was committed to high level reefkeeping science but packaging quality as well. I guess my initial thoughts were wildly incorrect and misplaced. I think there should be at minimum a lower volume run of the old bottles offered at all times at the 'current' price premium and then cartons offered for cheaper. Lasse laughed at this as stupid for paying more to have better packaging since in his mind the milk cartons are the be all end all of futuristic packaging, but I think a shocking amount of customers would shell out more money in the US for better packaging. This is a hobby for most people and nearly all of my customers, while they enjoy saving a buck, understand that convenience is what keeps hobby's enjoyable and the milk containers are a huge turn off for them and myself. I am going to keep on with the Triton for now, but I just ordered 5 sets of the ATI system to keep in reserve since I obviously can't order any Triton at the moment anyways lol.

10. Daltrey

Daltrey Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Case in point. I spent $75 just for the fact that they were in the plastic bottles alone. I literally had to waste hours tracking down someplace online that still had them. NYAquatic.

I said it once and I will say it again. If you can punt kick your boxed up item across the room and it is still ok then by all means go ahead and ship it via UPS. If not, I’m sorry to say but the chances of it making it undamaged are slim to none.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  11. ReefingwithO

ReefingwithO Active Member Build Thread Contributor

A friend of mine just a set last week from BRS and guess what, they are leaking. BRS was out of stock for a while so I thought they had new inventory where the issue was corrected.

This is frustrating on so many levels and I'm starting to lose confidence in Triton.
    1. Triton solutions always out of stock. What's going to happen when I need them and you don't have them? I'm going to go to another method and never look back.
    2. Solutions leaking
    3. Test taking up to 2 weeks now to get processed and no notification whatsoever of tests being received in California, and when I can expect results.

12. rockskimmerflow

rockskimmerflow Active Member

Yep, you share the same concerns as myself. My business has a lot of tanks relying on Triton's system now and I really am not looking forward to breaking it to the customers that the company just isn't reliable for US supply of necessary supplements and that I have to convert the systems to another method. Really, really frustrating. I'm super lucky I scored some of the last 10 Liter containers that, of course, come in solid plastic jugs. But man would I be up a creek already if I hadn't. I still may be since I have less than a month's reserve left. Keeping some ATI essentials on standby currently in case they're needed.

I suspect your friend may be experiencing a set of the 'fixed' containers which don't leak on their own, but likely don't take well to shipping by US carriers. I saw that coming a mile away with the milk cartons before I caught wind of any inherent leaking issue. I just assumed they would come to their senses and switch back to the bottles once the US shipping services started having massive losses in transit alone. And of course packing them better and super securely might help, but then they just really defeated their own 'eco' friendly new package by having to surround it with more packaging, taking up more material and space during transit etc - when the original bottles could handle a drop kick off the 2nd story of a building in just their basic cardboard box and survive just fine.

13. SlvrZ

SlvrZ Active Member

The shortage is enough for me to begin looking at running a CaRX again...

FDAWG and rockskimmerflow like this.
  14. Jaculus

Jaculus Active Member R2R Supporter

Resurrecting this old thread with small amount of good news. No leaks on new product received today from BRS that was received in Monday and out of stock on Monday (LOL) Anyhow no leaks, set the cartons on paper towels for two hours after I got them out and dry still. I know I am just one customer now but I was also one customer that had two sets of leaky ones before.

20180307_173359.jpg

20180307_173349.jpg

20180307_172856.jpg

20180307_172842.jpg

pelphrey and Lasse like this.
  15. HolisticBear

HolisticBear Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I ordered the Boron supplement from @Bulk Reef Supply last week, delivered Monday (Feb 5th). It uses the same milk-style container and is leaking. Probably lost 1/8 of the container. In my case, it's not a problem because there's no way I'll need the full 1L of supplement.

Just an FYI

p.s. I'd prefer if it was simply a higher concentration and came in a smaller container like the Iodine supplement.

16. Jaculus

Just for clarity,,,, do you know if this particular milk carton of Boron supplement was packaged before or after they made corrections to their packaging? By the way, I am not defending or promoting their efforts to remedy this,, just that its worth noting whether this was packaged and sat on BRS shelf before the change in their milk carton packaging process/method/whatever.

17. BobNY

BobNY Member

I have received 7 sets in the past month and a half or so. All after the time in which they remedied the leaking. One carton had a small leak, but I think it was shipping damage. the other 20 cartons are doing well.

18. Jaculus

@HolisticBear sent me a pic of his product that was leaking slightly ,, it appears to have a date stamped from somewhere mid last year so it could be surmised that it was packaged before the "corrections" to the milk carton sealing process

HolisticBear likes this.
  19. jose hernandez

jose hernandez Active Member

Don’t know y they went to the cartons Guess costs are cheaper in the cartons as opposed to the bottles I still have my bottles I will be using them just n case I get my shipment with leaky ones

20. bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o Active Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I got my latest shipment and no leaks..:):):):):). This is just a funny post meant to make light of the situation... 20180306_171718.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted