triton milk container leaking

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly sure how this all played out but as a company that in this case makes a liquid housed in a carton that probably will be around electrical devices finds out that their containers are faulty and are leaking the right thing to do would be to halt production of said containers and immediately inform distributors to remove their items from the shelves until further notice. During this time the company should release the findings through their media outlets such as forums/websites etc in an effort to alert all customers of the potential risks of the problem. The Free Replacements of damaged goods is a given and doesn't even need be discussed, the information dispersed/ how its dispersed and how much of it however is what really matters. Correct me if I'm wrong but the original reply from Triton seemed as though they were just interested in customers who are experiencing the problem and not so much in alerting the existing/potential community with the potential dangers. I want a company that is pro-active not just re-active. Again, I don't know the full story but if it didn't go as outlined above IMO there's some priorities that need adjusting.

Well said...

M

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
f479d64cad657b08a7fa7f2bca6ea97f.jpg

For no other reason than I love eggnog and looking at Lasse's refrigerator every time I open TapaTalk is killing me!! LOL

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that all they were shipped in Joseph?

I'm not sure... I'll ask though!

One thing is for sure, that's how the old containers came. Uniquecorals would tape two of those boxes together, slap a label on them and ship them from California to Virginia without incident with the plastic bottles.

M

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure... I'll ask though!

One thing is for sure, that's how the old containers came. Uniquecorals would tape two of those boxes together, slap a label on them and ship them from California to Virginia without incident with the plastic bottles.

M

Ah, sorry Michael, didn't realise that these aren't yours, and that you're re-posting what someone else put up on the Triton FB group?

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, sorry Michael, didn't realise that these aren't yours, and that you're re-posting what someone else put up on the Triton FB group?

No worries. Joseph was kind enough to answer: the Triton box shown in his picture was shipped inside another box.

That's disconcerting for both Triton's distributors and end users as well. Before the bottles and boxes were reliable enough they could be shipped in their original 4-pack carton. Now they must be packed in a second box to protect the more delicate milk cartons...

More volume, more packing, a second box, more weight and thus more shipping expense from the distributor to the end user.

It would appear that even without the penalty pricing that any savings to the final consumer will be negated and will likely wind up costing more in the long run.

Meantime in the US and elsewhere outside of Europe, we will continue to pay a double penalty: first for the plastic bottle we are not getting and then a second time for the final extra delivery cost to protect the contents in a less robust container on the final 'to door' delivery.

Triton, if you are too stubborn to admit the transition to cardboard packaging, leaking containers and 3-month supply outage has been an unmitigated public relations disaster, at least have the common sense to recognize that maintaining an artificially high price to cover your missteps is only tossing salt in an open wound.

You need to do SOMETHING to keep your customer base satisfied or it will continue to transition to your competitors.

M

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. Joseph was kind enough to answer: the Triton box shown in his picture was shipped inside another box.

That's disconcerting for both Triton's distributors and end users as well. Before the bottles and boxes were reliable enough they could be shipped in their original 4-pack carton. Now they must be packed in a second box to protect the more delicate milk cartons...

More volume, more packing, a second box, more weight and thus more shipping expense from the distributor to the end user.

It would appear that even without the penalty pricing that any savings to the final consumer will be negated and will likely wind up costing more in the long run.

Meantime in the US and elsewhere outside of Europe, we will continue to pay a double penalty: first for the plastic bottle we are not getting and then a second time for the final extra delivery cost to protect the contents in a less robust container on the final 'to door' delivery.

Triton, if you are too stubborn to admit the transition to cardboard packaging, leaking containers and 3-month supply outage has been an unmitigated public relations disaster, at least have the common sense to recognize that maintaining an artificially high price to cover your missteps is only tossing salt in an open wound.

You need to do SOMETHING to keep your customer base satisfied or it will continue to transition to your competitors.

M
Exactly. I called this literally as soon as I saw the milk containers and leaking issue. U.S. distribution channels are so rough on packaging I knew they would have huge damage losses due to the flimsy milk containers. I literally went oh man how many of these are going to get split on their way to my business. Little did I know it was a defect in the the milk cartons themselves causing the intial widespread issues, but I'd wager some of what Triton thought was defective cartons were actually just ones subjected to normal U.S. shipping wear and tear. I got in my first ever order of core 7, months ago, a set of 4 of the 1L cases. 2 of them came in with the box crumpled and rounded into a proverbial oval, and to my shock the bottles were pristine inside. I was 'sold' from that point on that Triton not only was committed to high level reefkeeping science but packaging quality as well. I guess my initial thoughts were wildly incorrect and misplaced. I think there should be at minimum a lower volume run of the old bottles offered at all times at the 'current' price premium and then cartons offered for cheaper. Lasse laughed at this as stupid for paying more to have better packaging since in his mind the milk cartons are the be all end all of futuristic packaging, but I think a shocking amount of customers would shell out more money in the US for better packaging. This is a hobby for most people and nearly all of my customers, while they enjoy saving a buck, understand that convenience is what keeps hobby's enjoyable and the milk containers are a huge turn off for them and myself. I am going to keep on with the Triton for now, but I just ordered 5 sets of the ATI system to keep in reserve since I obviously can't order any Triton at the moment anyways lol.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. I called this literally as soon as I saw the milk containers and leaking issue. U.S. distribution channels are so rough on packaging I knew they would have huge damage losses due to the flimsy milk containers. I literally went oh man how many of these are going to get split on their way to my business. Little did I know it was a defect in the the milk cartons themselves causing the intial widespread issues, but I'd wager some of what Triton thought was defective cartons were actually just ones subjected to normal U.S. shipping wear and tear. I got in my first ever order of core 7, months ago, a set of 4 of the 1L cases. 2 of them came in with the box crumpled and rounded into a proverbial oval, and to my shock the bottles were pristine inside. I was 'sold' from that point on that Triton not only was committed to high level reefkeeping science but packaging quality as well. I guess my initial thoughts were wildly incorrect and misplaced. I think there should be at minimum a lower volume run of the old bottles offered at all times at the 'current' price premium and then cartons offered for cheaper. Lasse laughed at this as stupid for paying more to have better packaging since in his mind the milk cartons are the be all end all of futuristic packaging, but I think a shocking amount of customers would shell out more money in the US for better packaging. This is a hobby for most people and nearly all of my customers, while they enjoy saving a buck, understand that convenience is what keeps hobby's enjoyable and the milk containers are a huge turn off for them and myself. I am going to keep on with the Triton for now, but I just ordered 5 sets of the ATI system to keep in reserve since I obviously can't order any Triton at the moment anyways lol.

Case in point. I spent $75 just for the fact that they were in the plastic bottles alone. I literally had to waste hours tracking down someplace online that still had them. NYAquatic.

I said it once and I will say it again. If you can punt kick your boxed up item across the room and it is still ok then by all means go ahead and ship it via UPS. If not, I’m sorry to say but the chances of it making it undamaged are slim to none.

Last edited:

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A friend of mine just a set last week from BRS and guess what, they are leaking. BRS was out of stock for a while so I thought they had new inventory where the issue was corrected.

This is frustrating on so many levels and I'm starting to lose confidence in Triton.
  1. Triton solutions always out of stock. What's going to happen when I need them and you don't have them? I'm going to go to another method and never look back.
  2. Solutions leaking
  3. Test taking up to 2 weeks now to get processed and no notification whatsoever of tests being received in California, and when I can expect results.

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine just a set last week from BRS and guess what, they are leaking. BRS was out of stock for a while so I thought they had new inventory where the issue was corrected.

This is frustrating on so many levels and I'm starting to lose confidence in Triton.
  1. Triton solutions always out of stock. What's going to happen when I need them and you don't have them? I'm going to go to another method and never look back.
  2. Solutions leaking
  3. Test taking up to 2 weeks now to get processed and no notification whatsoever of tests being received in California, and when I can expect results.
Yep, you share the same concerns as myself. My business has a lot of tanks relying on Triton's system now and I really am not looking forward to breaking it to the customers that the company just isn't reliable for US supply of necessary supplements and that I have to convert the systems to another method. Really, really frustrating. I'm super lucky I scored some of the last 10 Liter containers that, of course, come in solid plastic jugs. But man would I be up a creek already if I hadn't. I still may be since I have less than a month's reserve left. Keeping some ATI essentials on standby currently in case they're needed.

I suspect your friend may be experiencing a set of the 'fixed' containers which don't leak on their own, but likely don't take well to shipping by US carriers. I saw that coming a mile away with the milk cartons before I caught wind of any inherent leaking issue. I just assumed they would come to their senses and switch back to the bottles once the US shipping services started having massive losses in transit alone. And of course packing them better and super securely might help, but then they just really defeated their own 'eco' friendly new package by having to surround it with more packaging, taking up more material and space during transit etc - when the original bottles could handle a drop kick off the 2nd story of a building in just their basic cardboard box and survive just fine.

Jaculus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resurrecting this old thread with small amount of good news. No leaks on new product received today from BRS that was received in Monday and out of stock on Monday (LOL) Anyhow no leaks, set the cartons on paper towels for two hours after I got them out and dry still. I know I am just one customer now but I was also one customer that had two sets of leaky ones before.

20180307_173359.jpg

20180307_173349.jpg

20180307_172856.jpg

20180307_172842.jpg

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the Boron supplement from @Bulk Reef Supply last week, delivered Monday (Feb 5th). It uses the same milk-style container and is leaking. Probably lost 1/8 of the container. In my case, it's not a problem because there's no way I'll need the full 1L of supplement.

Just an FYI

p.s. I'd prefer if it was simply a higher concentration and came in a smaller container like the Iodine supplement.

Jaculus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the Boron supplement from @Bulk Reef Supply last week, delivered Monday (Feb 5th). It uses the same milk-style container and is leaking. Probably lost 1/8 of the container. In my case, it's not a problem because there's no way I'll need the full 1L of supplement.

Just an FYI

p.s. I'd prefer if it was simply a higher concentration and came in a smaller container like the Iodine supplement.

Just for clarity,,,, do you know if this particular milk carton of Boron supplement was packaged before or after they made corrections to their packaging? By the way, I am not defending or promoting their efforts to remedy this,, just that its worth noting whether this was packaged and sat on BRS shelf before the change in their milk carton packaging process/method/whatever.

BobNY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have received 7 sets in the past month and a half or so. All after the time in which they remedied the leaking. One carton had a small leak, but I think it was shipping damage. the other 20 cartons are doing well.

Jaculus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HolisticBear sent me a pic of his product that was leaking slightly ,, it appears to have a date stamped from somewhere mid last year so it could be surmised that it was packaged before the "corrections" to the milk carton sealing process

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know y they went to the cartons Guess costs are cheaper in the cartons as opposed to the bottles I still have my bottles I will be using them just n case I get my shipment with leaky ones

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 44 57.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 27.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%

Back