Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral tree is in!

20200117_171136.jpg
20200117_171212.jpg

Murdered a lot of zoas.... a lot. The middle arch had gotten overgrown. I had always planned on SPS to keep the zoas contained. Well the SPS kinda hasn't happened yet, so the zoas took over. Now that we have the tank back on track, hopefully we can keep it there and actually grow some SPS.

Don't worry, we still have a zoa garden on the left side of the tank... Kedd's Reds, Tub's blues, Gatorades, Blue Eyed Blond B*tches, Stargazers, Rainbow Fusions, Blue Hornets, some really tiny orange ones I cant remember the name of.

20200117_174427.jpg

Anyway, I removed all of the branch rocks. A few pieces had sponges on them, so I saved them and put them in the sump. Yay sponges! The rest I'll keep for use later. The sump is holding all it can.

Acans dominate the bottom of the tree. Most of them look like crap. Still recovering from the great tank neglect, and I've re-arranged rocks three times in the last two weeks. Need to let the tank settle for a while before I do anything else. We're hoping they grow out over the base of the tree and form a garden.

20200117_174310.jpg

I placed the birds nest and stylo on the ledge second from the top. They should get plenty of light there while saving the very top in case we start getting better at SPS.

20200117_174236.jpg
20200117_174232.jpg

One of the trumpet frags went on the tree about mid ways up, and the blood moon favia is on the middle ledge. The red monti cap that died off and has started to regrow went on the bottom ledge. I also forgot my red blasto out of water for oh, probably 2 hours. I pulled it off the branch in the 5g bucket and glued it to the rock. Didnt grab a pic because I was being rushed out the door for dinner, but it looked fine. I'll probably have to move it as it looked pretty shaded.

20200117_174246.jpg
20200117_174406.jpg
20200117_174349.jpg
20200117_174355.jpg
I wish you lived closer. I'm probably going to be tossing a bunch of SPS trimmings this weekend. I'm starting to have shading issues that I've been neglecting.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only what, about a 12 hour drive?
Give or take a few speeding tickets.

My purple stags, FF digi and my monti caps are just out of control. Have a few others that just need a small trimming. I'll probably save the skeletons in case I do switch to a calcium reactor.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never been to Memphis... Knoxville, Chattanooga and Nashville several times, but never Memphis.
Don't go!!! Only around 3 blocks of the city are safe enough to enjoy visiting. Pretty sad. The Bass Pro Shop is absolutely amazing though!

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never been to Memphis... Knoxville, Chattanooga and Nashville several times, but never Memphis.
I haven’t been either just rooting for you guys to meet up and picking random spots on the map.

Ive heard similar about Memphis. St Louis just opened a new aquarium though..

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t been either just rooting for you guys to meet up and picking random spots on the map.

Ive heard similar about Memphis. St Louis just opened a new aquarium though..
Atlanta, GA... Biggest aquarium in the world I believe. They have whale sharks. Whale. Sharks. That you can SCUBA with. I mean, I dont have my certifications but I'd get it just for that.

Ugh, Driving from Augusta to Atlanta has got to be the longest drive ever... well, maybe with the exception of Jacksonville to Orlando. Flat, straight, and nothing to look at.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wonderful wife went to one of our LFS we have close and picked up a black long spine urchin for me while I was at work today. First part of the battle crew against the ulva algae. The rest are being shipped out Monday from Reef Cleaners. We ordered 25 astrea snails, 4 tongan nassarius snails, 10 blue leg hermits, 3 emerald crabs and 1 random reef safe conch. The website said they stock 4 types that get up top 3", but most are strawberry conchs.

20200118_193523.jpg
20200118_193634.jpg

Yesterday I made up some water to do a water change. We've decided to do a biweekly water change. I pulled the chaeto out of my refugium and set it in a 5g bucket, used my water change pump and pumped out everything in the refugium and adjacent rock holding camber. Around 20 gallons. Swapped the pump over to my Brute barrel that was heated and mixed at 1.026SG and circulating for the last 24 hours.

Yea, I think I can handle that every two weeks. I just gotta stay on top of myself and just do it.

20200118_210833.jpg

Oh, and these guys are looking great since the removal of the angels of death...

20200118_211312.jpg
20200118_211315.jpg

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That urchin is going to enjoy himself...just watch. He’s going to go hard...think Sherman v. Georgia. MacArthur v. Japan. Germany v. France. A frat guy v. Beer Can.

corals are looking great!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That urchin is going to enjoy himself...just watch. He’s going to go hard...think Sherman v. Georgia. MacArthur v. Japan. Germany v. France. A frat guy v. Beer Can.

corals are looking great!
William Tecumseh Sherman... :mad: he went thru SC too. Burnt his way thru Georgia, then up thru South and North Carolina. Burning everything in his path, even civilian property.

Amazing what happens when you actually take care of your reef... this thing is gonna get back on track.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
William Tecumseh Sherman... :mad: he went thru SC too. Burnt his way thru Georgia, then up thru South and North Carolina. Burning everything in his path, even civilian property.

Amazing what happens when you actually take care of your reef... this thing is gonna get back on track.
You elaborated on my metaphor quite accurately, that’s exactly what your urchin is going to do to the algae! I’ve got a picture somewhere of what my urchin did to my back wall, he has a scorched earth mentality just like ol’ Tecumseh.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You elaborated on my metaphor quite accurately, that’s exactly what your urchin is going to do to the algae! I’ve got a picture somewhere of what my urchin did to my back wall, he has a scorched earth mentality just like ol’ Tecumseh.
I had a pin cushion urchin before. My ex uh... starts with a w and ends with hore named him Fedora. He was always picking up snails and carrying them around on his head. I saw the long spine a week or two ago, but didnt get it. I'd been regretting not picking it up since and told my wife I and had to have him. These guys may pack a sting, but they dont really move rocks or carry snails around.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imagine attaching a green shag carpet to the glass. I'm still scraping that stuff off preparing it to hold my blackwater setup.
Embrace the fuzz my snails walk around with lovely green wigs lol

3E132BB4-5516-43A4-9954-9B907FFBE335.jpeg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Embrace the fuzz my snails walk around with lovely green wigs lol

3E132BB4-5516-43A4-9954-9B907FFBE335.jpeg
Eats algae from everywhere, cant clean it's own shell.

Kinda like my conversation with the chiropractor. Adjusting people's backs all day making them feel better, cant do his own.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eats algae from everywhere, cant clean it's own shell.

Kinda like my conversation with the chiropractor. Adjusting people's backs all day making them feel better, cant do his own.
True! I do brush it though. He doesn’t ever wash it (shockingly, since he lives in water) so I kinda brush it to keep it neat. I think he likes the scalp massage lol

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pin cushion urchin before. My ex uh... starts with a w and ends with hore named him Fedora. He was always picking up snails and carrying them around on his head. I saw the long spine a week or two ago, but didnt get it. I'd been regretting not picking it up since and told my wife I and had to have him. These guys may pack a sting, but they dont really move rocks or carry snails around.
Mine (Magellan II) currently has hermit crab shells, an entire living feather duster, and my cleaner shrimps exoskeleton on his head ;Dead

don’t think I have a big enough tank for a long spine or I would definitely get one!

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back