OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine (Magellan II) currently has hermit crab shells, an entire living feather duster, and my cleaner shrinks exoskeleton on his head ;Dead

don’t think I have a big enough tank for a long spine or I would definitely get one!
Yea, an 8" ball of venomous needles wont fit in a tank your size too comfortably.

U

User1

View Badges
Atlanta, GA... Biggest aquarium in the world I believe. They have whale sharks. Whale. Sharks. That you can SCUBA with. I mean, I dont have my certifications but I'd get it just for that.

Ugh, Driving from Augusta to Atlanta has got to be the longest drive ever... well, maybe with the exception of Jacksonville to Orlando. Flat, straight, and nothing to look at.

I was making a couple work trips a year to Atlanta. Always wanted to visit but never made it :( On the other hand long before the Atlanta aquarium there is a large aquarium up North in Okinawa, Japan. We used to make a road trip a couple times a year when I was stationed there. Great place actually and they had a whale shark :) I believe it was the largest aquarium until Atlanta's.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was making a couple work trips a year to Atlanta. Always wanted to visit but never made it :( On the other hand long before the Atlanta aquarium there is a large aquarium up North in Okinawa, Japan. We used to make a road trip a couple times a year when I was stationed there. Great place actually and they had a whale shark :) I believe it was the largest aquarium until Atlanta's.
Sweet, bucket list! Always wanted to visit Japan. How long of a drive is that? ;Hilarious

U

User1

View Badges
Sweet, bucket list! Always wanted to visit Japan. How long of a drive is that? ;Hilarious

Hmm...I don't know. Interesting enough there was a article I just read that a couple drove from their home in New Zealand to the UK in their Toyota Land Cruiser (New Job I think it was). It was a rather interesting read their route, crossing water, visa's, etc. I probably wouldn't have gone their route but whatever reason they did. We used to take our 2015 Mustang GT/PP on long trips. Leave Northern California, head down to Vegas for a couple days, then shoot back to Southern California, and back home. Fun. Daughter and I had a longer trip planned but I ended up selling the car.

That trip was Northern California to Key West Florida :) It started as a joke but quickly turned into "I have shotgun!". I think it was something like Vegas, Santa Fe NM, Waco Tx, New Orleans, Atlanta, Key West FL, Keystone SD, Gold Beach, OR, then home. May still do that after she finishes with her Masters. Just have to take the Explorer instead. Or I find a reasonable prices GT 500 or pick up a GT 350.

Edit: Also forgot to say I was just passing by and catching up on the updates :) Great thread.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Corky's in Memphis is good, but I'd certainly try yours!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhh!!! Completely forgot to mention. Our 200w Neotherm heater is going out. Only after 3 years of reliable service. My hands have gotten pretty darn reliable at detecting 78° water, and I noticed my tank felt cool the other day. So I get my over priced thermometer with a built in non functioning ph probe and it was reading around 74.

Yep, that was cool. I checked the heater and its set to 78, but the LED dial was flashing 80. It was in the chamber with the fuge light so I thought maybe the light was making it warm? Infrared from the LEDs? Moved it to a shaded area but had to unplug it in the process. When plugged back up, it was reading 74 and still set to 78. Huh, glitch in the thermostat maybe? We'll keep this in the front of our mind and keep an eye on it.

Fast forward to last night. Feeding the eel(bicep deep in tank) and it felt a little cool, but not quite like last time. Get the thermometer back out and check. 76.

Dang lab calibrated skin cells I'm telling you. Anyway I checked the dial and it was still set at 78 and said 78. Ok, bump it to 80 as they gave 2 degree adjustments but hold temp to within less than .5 when working properly.

Doing my water change tonight it felt a bit warm. 79. I'm telling you I can feel 1 degree change. Heater still set at 80.

So, we ordered a new 300w Neotherm heater. The 300w is actually just 2 150w heaters daisy chained together with one thermostat. I'm not too worried about the heater falling on. It seems to be failing cold, so thats gooder than getting stuck on.

Last edited:

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhh!!! Completely forgot to mention. Our 200w Neotherm heater is going out. Only after 3 years of reliable service. My hands have gotten pretty darn reliable at detecting 78° water, and I noticed my tank felt cool the other day. So I get my over priced thermometer with a built in non functioning ph probe and it was reading around 74.

Yep, that was cool. I checked the heater and its set to 78, but the LED dial was flashing 80. It was in the chamber with the fuge light so I thought maybe the light was making it warm? Infrared from the LEDs? Moved it to a shaded area but had to unplug it in the process. When plugged back up, it was reading 74 and still set to 78. Huh, glitch in the thermostat maybe? We'll keep this in the front of our mind and keep an eye on it.

Fast forward to last night. Feeding the eel(bicep deep in tank) and it felt a little cool, but not quite like last time. Get the thermometer back out and check. 76.

Dang lab calibrated skin cells I'm telling you. Anyway I checked the dial and it was still set at 78 and said 78. Ok, bump it to 80 as they gave 2 degree adjustments but hold temp to within less than .5 when working properly.

Doing my water change tonight it felt a bit warm. 79. I'm telling you I can feel 1 degree change. Heater still set at 80.

So, we ordered a new 300w Neotherm heater. The 300w is actually just 2 150w heaters daisy chained together with one thermostat. I'm not too worried about the heater falling on. It seems to be failing cold, so thats gooder than getting stuck on.
Any opinions on an Eheim?

wish I had lab calibrated skin cells...my tank was at like 84 degrees for the first month I had a heater in it...stupid Chinese thermometer...no idea how nothing died!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any opinions on an Eheim?

wish I had lab calibrated skin cells...my tank was at like 84 degrees for the first month I had a heater in it...stupid Chinese thermometer...no idea how nothing died!
Got one for the Reefer. It's big, a lot bigger than the Cobalt was for 200W. It's also glass so you have to be a bit more careful with it than you do impact resistant plastic... but I liked the adjustable thermostat and it seems to be accurate once calibrated. It's like sighting in a gun... If it's shooting right move your sight to the right.

Last edited:

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got one for the Reefer. It's big, a lot bigger than the Cobalt was for 200W. It's also glass so you have to be a bit more careful with it than you do impact resistant plastic... but I liked the adjustable thermostat and it seems to be accurate once calibrated. It's like sighting in a gun... If it's shooting right move your sight to the right.
It holds at precisely 77.5 on the nose and has since I set it. (My tank heats up during the day, I just let it happen and turn the fan on when it hits 79) and it will eventually drop back down to 77.5 at night. It seems like a more natural day/night cycle than trying to keep a tank right at 78 all day every day, and means my heater barely has to do anything...hopefully I get more use out of it.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a good pic of the new additions to the zoa garden. Now that I've decided to keep all my zoas contained to one spot. I've had them for a while, but never put them on rock.

Center are Rainbow Infusions
Left are Orange Blossoms (the tiny ones)

20200119_211211.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a good pic of the new additions to the zoa garden. Now that I've decided to keep all my zoas contained to one spot. I've had them for a while, but never put them on rock.

Center are Rainbow Infusions
Left are Orange Blossoms (the tiny ones)

20200119_211211.jpg
Gorgeous

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These blastos are doing much better than expected. I forgot them out of water for 2, possibly 3 hours when I was removing all the branch rock. I remembered them as we were leaving to go eat dinner, and quickly glued them in a spot, any spot. They are under a ledge on the side of the tree. Seem to be perfectly happy tho.

20200119_184630.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These blastos are doing much better than expected. I forgot them out of water for 2, possibly 3 hours when I was removing all the branch rock. I remembered them as we were leaving to go eat dinner, and quickly glued them in a spot, any spot. They are under a ledge on the side of the tree. Seem to be perfectly happy tho.

20200119_184630.jpg
They do like lower levels of light.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best BBQ is a few blocks away from Graceland.
Best BBQ is a few steps away from my pool. When it's not this cold outside, anyway. ;) :p

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put your money where your mouth is. Lol. I think I'll see ya in March.
Just remember, I said the best BBQ, not the best tasting BBQ. Given the choice to enjoy BBQ at some restaurant I have to drive to or next to my pool and well stocked bar.. I can tell you which one I will enjoy more!

Of course, my BBQ isn't bad and I'll be more than happy to throw something on the smoker for you! I've had quite a few friends ask me to do some cooking for parties they were throwing.

Back