Turtle's Fairy Tale

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea... these fish are horrible shippers. They stress out really bad and don't end up lasting very long. Im really hoping this last one makes it. It was out again today swimming around and pecking at the live rock and chaeto
I hope he makes it, too. I haven't been brave enough to get one and I worry that with 2 mandarins, a desire to have 3 wrasses and a school of 5 anthias that I couldn't keep everyone fat and happy.

Fingers crossed!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope he makes it, too. I haven't been brave enough to get one and I worry that with 2 mandarins, a desire to have 3 wrasses and a school of 5 anthias that I couldn't keep everyone fat and happy.

Fingers crossed!

The wrasse would likely starve out your mandarins. Much faster predator.

I really hope this last one survives... there is enough bbs in there they are probably breathing them.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryopsis day 9... 9-9-18

I've missed a few days, life has gotten in the way a little. The first and last picture are about dead. Just a little bit of stem still left on the rock. The second picture I'm fairly confident is GHA and not bryopsis. The flucon is supposed to kill it also, but takes longer. I'll probably just pull and scrub as much of it as I can after the 14 days. I've melted the rest of my GHA with low nutrients and out competing it with chaeto, shouldn't take long after scraping that stuff.

20180909_124625.jpg
20180909_124635.jpg
20180909_124643.jpg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work on the algae! Bummer about the wrasse, hopefully the other one is still looking good!

So far so good. The leopard and the radiant are both out swimming around. I fed a little frozen earlier and the radiant ate. The leopard is still pecking at the rocks so I'm hopeful for this last one.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update from work...

I've decided to test alk every Sunday just to keep a check on it, and the first Sunday of each month I'll test everything. That way I went have all my test kits strewn all over my dining room table. Seriously... it's a mess.

20180909_165905.jpg

That is all getting put away tomorrow. The tank is on cruise control now, I dont need them out any more.

Alk has been locked in and stable. Test today was 8.2dKH.

20180909_140617.jpg
Screenshot_20180909-200429_Aquarimate.jpg

The JKR Apocalypse Now is dead. No idea what happened. Last I looked at it, it was fine. I won't blame the fluconazole outright, but it is suspiciously coincidental. Skimmer cup is back on and my carbon reactor it turned on. I'll make up a 10 gallon water change later this week.

The rest of my SPS looks great and is growing. One of my Emerald crabs even decided to take up residence in my birds nest.

20180909_135511.jpg
20180909_135501.jpg
20180909_141435.jpg
20180909_141430.jpg

No pictures, but all LPS and zoas are doing well and growing as well.

High hopes for the last black leopard. It is active and hunts for pods and brine. No luck on the frozen yet but it is still getting adjusted and doesn't flee as often or as quickly when I approach QT.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update from work...

I've decided to test alk every Sunday just to keep a check on it, and the first Sunday of each month I'll test everything. That way I went have all my test kits strewn all over my dining room table. Seriously... it's a mess.

20180909_165905.jpg

That is all getting put away tomorrow. The tank is on cruise control now, I dont need them out any more.

Alk has been locked in and stable. Test today was 8.2dKH.

20180909_140617.jpg
Screenshot_20180909-200429_Aquarimate.jpg

The JKR Apocalypse Now is dead. No idea what happened. Last I looked at it, it was fine. I won't blame the fluconazole outright, but it is suspiciously coincidental. Skimmer cup is back on and my carbon reactor it turned on. I'll make up a 10 gallon water change later this week.

The rest of my SPS looks great and is growing. One of my Emerald crabs even decided to take up residence in my birds nest.

20180909_135511.jpg
20180909_135501.jpg
20180909_141435.jpg
20180909_141430.jpg

No pictures, but all LPS and zoas are doing well and growing as well.

High hopes for the last black leopard. It is active and hunts for pods and brine. No luck on the frozen yet but it is still getting adjusted and doesn't flee as often or as quickly when I approach QT.
That is a lot of test mess! I test Alk at least twice a week, but everything else is no more than weekly. My alk consumption is changing fast enough that I'm not comfortable going an entire week without bumping up my additives and monitoring it. Much easier than what you have been doing!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a lot of test mess! I test Alk at least twice a week, but everything else is no more than weekly. My alk consumption is changing fast enough that I'm not comfortable going an entire week without bumping up my additives and monitoring it. Much easier than what you have been doing!

Honestly, I dont eat at the table much so I've just let it build up. It all gets put away tomorrow. Alk will stay in the end table with the rest of my fish supplies and I'll take the rest back to the office. My demand doesn't seem to be changing, so once a week is all I'll test for alk.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I'm slightly concerned about Florence... not so much for my house, I should just get severe thunderstorm weather... but predicted landfall is really close to my parents vacation home that has been in the family since '68. It's in Cherry Grove, SC... Right on the boarder on NC.

florience3png-118d8c2a579c4b5b.png

If you're ever on an SC coast and see this guy, leave. Your belongings are supposed to be safe but it's a warning to get inland. He's the Gray Man. Legend has it he was traveling to Pawleys Island from Charleston to see his fiancee and to set a date for their wedding. He died when his carriage got stuck in the marshes on the way. Some time later his fiancee was walking a beach and saw a gray shadowy figure. As it got closer she recognized it as her lost fiance and then he vanished. That next day her father decided to move back to the family's inland home. Just after they left, a storm came thru and wiped out the entire area causing several casualties. Their house was the only thing left standing.

394.jpeg

Doom despair destruction... imma end this on a positive note. Took this from on top of the plant at the beginning of my shift. "Red sky at night, sailors delight."

View attachment 20180909_193453.jpg

Last edited:

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really hope that last leopard pulls through for you! It wont be for a lack of food thats for sure. I haven't seen them before.

Also hoping Florence turns North.... i think I saw that Grey man once on bar stool in Murrels Inlet. I had assumed I was overserved when I could see through him but now Im not so sure!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too cool , Is that a real pic or was it fabricated? Never really know nowadays. Hope your cottage get spared. ...My kitchen table would ALMOST look like yours and I would get a category 5 storm bear down on me:mad: so I picked this up. https://www.ebay.com/itm/DeWALT-DWS...643857&hash=item27eec02066:g:6bQAAOSw-4RaaQNf
It handles everything. Good luck with the wrasses

Pretty sure it's a computer generated image. Last "sighting " was just before hurricane Hugo in 1989.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evacuation presents? ;):p

I always told myself I wasn't going to do zoas. Couldn't help it... fell in love with them.

Considered them weeds at first... grew on me. Mushrooms on the other hand, still don't see what the fuss is about. Ricordea florida and yuma are a bit different but still meh.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back