Turtle's Fairy Tale

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considered them weeds at first... grew on me. Mushrooms on the other hand, still don't see what the fuss is about. Ricordea florida and yuma are a bit different but still meh.
No mushrooms in my tank either. My biggest concern is the zoas taking over my tank, so I have them all on little islands.

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for your parents beach home. I live in FL so I have some xp w/hurricanes. The trend due to warming climate and oceans is that the hurricanes are driving SLOW over land. If it stays on track, I would tell your parents to have that home ready to experience 40-60 inches of rainfall.

In central FL, Irma knocked power out from not at all to 8 days for some people. I was without power for about 29 hours.

Tank is looking better and better!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for your parents beach home. I live in FL so I have some xp w/hurricanes. The trend due to warming climate and oceans is that the hurricanes are driving SLOW over land. If it stays on track, I would tell your parents to have that home ready to experience 40-60 inches of rainfall.

In central FL, Irma knocked power out from not at all to 8 days for some people. I was without power for about 29 hours.

Tank is looking better and better!

The house was originally Grandaddy's when he bought it in 1968. It's been thru every hurricane since, including Hugo which wrecked SC in 1989. The only thing that happened was one piece of siding was blown loose. It's on stilts too, just over 15' off the ground so it can handle storm surge and rainfall.

Thanks for the compliment. I've got a bit of GHA to take care of, but I'm pretty happy with it. I may not have the secret to keeping acropora right now, but I'm happy with Stylos and birds nest. hopefully in a few months I can keep Montis again.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy like Wednesday morning in Cherry Grove, SC. Forecast keeps pushing further south. Expected landfall in Murrels Inlet, SC. That puts us on the north side of the eye. Dad and I got here at 2330 last night and have been boarding up and bomb proofing the house all morning.

Slightly concerned about the tank too. I'm probably going to be at the plant all weekend, and likely going to have several outages. I have someone I can get to check on tank but that's about as far as they can help. We'll see how things go when it gets here.

20180912_082528.jpg

florence-spaghetti-models-wednesday.png

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy like Wednesday morning in Cherry Grove, SC. Forecast keeps pushing further south. Expected landfall in Murrels Inlet, SC. That puts us on the north side of the eye. Dad and I got here at 2330 last night and have been boarding up and bomb proofing the house all morning.

Slightly concerned about the tank too. I'm probably going to be at the plant all weekend, and likely going to have several outages. I have someone I can get to check on tank but that's about as far as they can help. We'll see how things go when it gets here.

20180912_082528.jpg

florence-spaghetti-models-wednesday.png
I'm going to call CNN to report you. ;Brb

This hurricane is all your fault. You just HAD to get your tank stable and growing stuff. You left Murphy no choice but to resort to drastic measures. ;Punch Think of all the people you have put at risk by having a healthy reef tank that needed a serious challenge. ;Wideyed

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to call CNN to report you. ;Brb

This hurricane is all your fault. You just HAD to get your tank stable and growing stuff. You left Murphy no choice but to resort to drastic measures. ;Punch Think of all the people you have put at risk by having a healthy reef tank that needed a serious challenge. ;Wideyed

What he said. :p

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait wait wait wait wait....a last minute shift in hurricane track...growing up in south Florida, this is my surprised face.......

I don't know about y'all but the last thing we need in SW GA is more rain. The crops are already going to be poor producers due to how much rain we've had this year and literally everything is filled to the brim. If this thing covers the state and sits on us for 5"+ we're going to have issues even on the western side of the state.

We had 3" days 3 separate times in July :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait wait wait wait wait....a last minute shift in hurricane track...growing up in south Florida, this is my surprised face.......

I don't know about y'all but the last thing we need in SW GA is more rain. The crops are already going to be poor producers due to how much rain we've had this year and literally everything is filled to the brim. If this thing covers the state and sits on us for 5"+ we're going to have issues even on the western side of the state.

We had 3" days 3 separate times in July :(

We've been in a drought all August. My grass is fried at the house. Crispy deep fried. I'm on top of a hill, so I'm not worried about floods. I was well above water when we had the 1000 year flood in 2015.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a spot in out yard that is a tad low, but not bad. Our property doesn't flood either. That said I have had standing water in a few spots in my yard 5 times now since the 4th. Our water table is so high right now it's silly. We've had a break in August compared to July, but we're still averaging around an inch a week which just hasn't allowed all the water we got in July to recede any.

The thing that worries me here is we went out of a drought into that flood a few years ago that we had. We're already starting almost flooded now. I'm not much worried about the house, but I worry for our farmers. As I mentioned already most crops are already only looking like they'll produce 50% yield or less. Even more rain will devastate both the peanuts and the cotton.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a spot in out yard that is a tad low, but not bad. Our property doesn't flood either. That said I have had standing water in a few spots in my yard 5 times now since the 4th. Our water table is so high right now it's silly. We've had a break in August compared to July, but we're still averaging around an inch a week which just hasn't allowed all the water we got in July to recede any.

The thing that worries me here is we went out of a drought into that flood a few years ago that we had. We're already starting almost flooded now. I'm not much worried about the house, but I worry for our farmers. As I mentioned already most crops are already only looking like they'll produce 50% yield or less. Even more rain will devastate both the peanuts and the cotton.

Englishman has no concept of how it must be like to deal with this sort of weather, be safe all! :)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back