OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw my brittle star for the first time since I added it to the tank. Good to know it's still alive.

20181022_165844.jpg

Also something I've been working on, well planning. Today was the first day of working on it. I painted the back. It's Dark Walnut from Rust-oleum. Not a reef, but it's my thread I'll go off topic if I want. It'll be a freshwater tank, more specifically, an amazon blackwater aquarium. Low pH, low hardness, tannin stained water, driftwood, low light plants and amazon river fish. I'm planning on a few German ram cichlids, ember tetras and my emerald cory cats will move over as well. May add a few more emerald corys.

20181022_170733.jpg
20181022_164824.jpg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, Ive always liked Bow Front tanks.

They make taking pictures of coral tricky... but for a freshwater tank, and only a Benjamin for the tank, stand, hood, filter and heater... I couldn't turn it down.

I'm not sure if I want to buy a bio wheel hob, or spend the extra money and get a canister filter and inline heater so everything is hidden in the stand. Either way, no carbon in a blackwater tank. The whole point is to have stained water.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id go canister to keep a clean look but I know nothing really about fresh water.

I'm in the same boat. This is my first time getting serious about a freshwater tank other than just having a set up basically running itself... I've had several tanks, but I just threw fish and water in there and kinda let it go.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping it was you with the winning ticket!

Unfortunately, you have to buy the ticket before they let you win. Altho, my chances of winning weren't that much worse than people who did. 1 in 300 million chance. ;Facepalm

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking since I rescaped the right side of the tank, and since I won that box of shapes rock...

I was going to save it for a future nano build, but I think I'll use it in the Fairy Tail. I added a bunch more room for some LPS on the right, I think I'll do the same on the left but add some, or all, of the new shapes rock.

That'll give me more hiding/sleeping places for more wrasse in the future while still keeping somewhat of an open scape. I'm getting an acclimation box for the future, not for Bonnie I won't be trying any new coral beauties. Not after she's 2-0 on the handling out severe beat downs to coral beauties. My brunneus is a bit territorial and took a few weeks before he let my mccoskers swim where he wanted. I have a few more fairies and maybe some flashers I want to add.

I'll probably work on that tomorrow after I get up from this night shift rotation. Soo... pictures tomorrow night, probably. ;Snaphappy

Last edited:
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opened the box up before I left. Four nice sized rocks, two caves and two arches. Nothing is broken either! Yea, I think I'll use all of this, it's all way too big pieces for a IM Nuvo 10g.

20181024_170546.jpg

Here is the large cave on the right, upside down. Pretty nice sized rocks.

20181024_170230.jpg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like that piece.
From what I've seen, all of their "shapes" are very similar to each other. Caves, arches and rings. Another box should produce rocks of the same general shape. I think that smaller piece may be a ring. It's got a fairly large hole in the center.

I'm excited to play with them tomorrow and see what I can come up with. I need more space, I'm running out of room to put corals.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, this is why I bought those no name acans from Jason Fox... feeders for days. He said they stay like that almost all day in his tank. Seems like they like my tank too.

20181024_153957.jpg

That’s a nice snag for sure!

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, this is why I bought those no name acans from Jason Fox... feeders for days. He said they stay like that almost all day in his tank. Seems like they like my tank too.

20181024_153957.jpg

NICE ! ! ! ! !

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aurora acans had feeders too... look a bit washed out by the whites but they are still magnificent once the Kessils go back blue. I think I'm going to lower the color on them for the first part of the day.

20181024_154008.jpg

Pink Zippers on the left and Nirvanas on the right. They are on the next branch back. Altho they may be in a different spot tomorrow night. That level in the tank seems to be perfect for zoas tho. All of them there are super healthy and growing like crazy.

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back