Unequal dosing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

joeyrm7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Readings right now are 8.2 alk, 435 calc and 1280 mag. In order to keep it close to this I find that I need to dose about 40% more part 1 than 2 and about 20% more of part 3 (both a and b not combined) than B. Is this an acceptable practice or do I need to bring back to equal parts and hope for the best? Using the same dosers at appx the same distance but have not calibrated them. Thanks for the help

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Readings right now are 8.2 alk, 435 calc and 1280 mag. In order to keep it close to this I find that I need to dose about 40% more part 1 than 2 and about 20% more of part 3 (both a and b not combined) than B. Is this an acceptable practice or do I need to bring back to equal parts and hope for the best? Using the same dosers at appx the same distance but have not calibrated them. Thanks for the help
I've always done what is required to keep parameters stable and not worried too much about ratios. Of course, making my own calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium additive solutions encourages me not to worry too much about ratios :)

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 30 years of on and off reefing, I have never dosed equal amounts.

I simply dose whats required to keep my levels stable, which typically means way more ALK then CAL, and hardly ever MAG.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I also dose in unequal amounts though I know Triton says not to.
But when I did equal dosing my Ca was to 600+ and Mag was 1500+.
With a Dkh at 9.

OP
OP
J

joeyrm7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. thats similar to the problem that I have had. I switched testing to a Trident which makes it super easy to track but the differences in my readings doing the same amounts was large and I was worried about scaling some back, which I have to bring the readings into balance. Guess they want to sell more product by grouping 1-3. This is probably the reason that I have to add some other trace elements when my tests come back.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have only done one ICP test and that was back in April of last year.
I had the typical high tin results.
I also have a Trident, best Apex peripheral by far.
The individual probes and ATK are worthless IMO. Well with the exception of the temp probes, they have always reported accurately and consistantly.
But anyway back to the topic.
I dont know if any harm to the livestock would come on overly high Ca and Mag levels and I have not done any reaserch yet on that.

But I know my tank has stable paramiters and the few corals I have are growing, and look healthy.
So for now I will continue to have my elements dosing unequally to maintain the base line parameters.

GemCorals

Instagram @Gem_Corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not need to dose equally nor does Triton recommend you dose equally without consideration (the equal dosing recommendation is only a starting dose recommendation until you figure out your tank's specific needs). Many tanks track well with equal dosing but if yours doesn't you should dose each Core 7 solution at a variable rate to achieve your desired level of that specific element.

Check out this thread which is specifically on unequal dosing posted by and commented by Triton.

Last edited:

GemCorals

Instagram @Gem_Corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 30 years of on and off reefing, I have never dosed equal amounts.

I simply dose whats required to keep my levels stable, which typically means way more ALK then CAL, and hardly ever MAG.
Core 7 is already generally balanced to account for this. That is not to say it will be perfect and not require additional adjustment for a given tank but generally what you are saying is already accounted for in the concentration of the stock solutions.

cjpitt80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tim @ Triton recommends balanced dosing for all parts. That said, I've also not been able to keep parameters stable with Core 7 #2 (calcium) being higher than the rest. I combine 3A/B and dose double the amount of #1 and dose #2 separately to keep calcium in line.

GemCorals

Instagram @Gem_Corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tim @ Triton recommends balanced dosing for all parts. That said, I've also not been able to keep parameters stable with Core 7 #2 (calcium) being higher than the rest. I combine 3A/B and dose double the amount of #1 and dose #2 separately to keep calcium in line.

If you read the most recent posts #12 down in the above posted parameter balance issues thread, @Julian@Triton seems to support unequal dosing to target appropriate levels of the major 3. I've run Triton tanks this way for years with very good success and no issues with trace levels getting off from unequal dosing. The level of unequal dosing you are likely to experience is not enough to really change trace levels materially or quickly. If certain levels start to drift from long term unequal dosing this is easily corrected by supplementing those specific elements as needed.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.1%
Back