UV sterilizer or algae scrubber

Weyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing the bulk reef supply videos, i am in the debate between those two methods
my gold is like everybody here avoid any kind of algae in my tank. But don't know what to choose because I am in a budget.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While both can help keep algae out. Neither is perfect and both are really different in what they do. Also, neither is a good substitute for a poor set up and bad husbandry.

A UV is good at killing spores that are in the water column. UV when used to control Algae does a good job but it won’t stop it.

A scrubber is really meant to control nutrients. It does it by growing algae in a controlled environment.

If I had to choose, I would say a UV light is more useful post cycling

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The place to grow algae is in the sump. UV isn't run by many reefers for algae control as it doesn't help much.

OP
OP
W

Weyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you mean is that in the cycle process, UV more effective then algae, so at the begging of my tank journey, it's a more useful way to go?

wes urquhart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion would be to go for the UV. It has additional benefits of keeping your water crystal clear and helping combat some parasites and disease.

However, if your only goal is nutrient/algae control. The algea scrubber would probably be better. But there are many other ways to control nutrients.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more algae grown in the sump the less will be in display. Not for cycling, you will still be go through all the ugly algae stages for about 6 months. UV isn't for algea control and really isn't need for a new tank. Down the road you can add it in.

OP
OP
W

Weyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after thinking i probably go with the two, but because I'm in a budget build, I think what will do the work for now, down the road I probably go with the two methods but for the first year of a beginner hobbyist what do you suggest?

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do very different things. A UV is only going to help with what is in the water column, many kind of algae never even enter the water column. And that's even assuming you run it at proper algae/bacteria setup. A scrubber is going to help export nutrients and from this somewhat help with algae growth.

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
google search diy algae scrubber. They are quite easy to diy and I can't believe people spend a lot of money on them. It's just light, rough screen and water movement. I see the price for these ATS's online and my head explodes.

OP
OP
W

Weyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
google search diy algae scrubber. They are quite easy to diy and I can't believe people spend a lot of money on them. It's just light, rough screen and water movement. I see the price for these ATS's online, and my head explodes.
I'm not a DIY guy and probably go with an algae reactor, so you suggest I go with an algae reactor instead of a UV?

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to choose, I would choose the scrubber. Then add the UV later.

But as I and others said, scrubber or UV is comparing apples to oranges.

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A UV sterilizer and algae scrubber are SO different. UV sterilizer can help with algae control, especially with free-floating algae cells, but the real purpose of algae scrubbers are to out-compete your system for nutrient export so that YOU, the aquarist determine WHERE the algae grows from the nitrate and phosphate levels within the aquarium. You are going to, by nature, produce these by-products within the aquarium (NO3 and PO4)...and the question is, where if anywhere, would you wan't algae to grow IF it where to grow... and the algae scrubber is designed (or refugium) to use the nutrients necessary to grow algae PRIOR to the tank getting an opportunity. In other words, grow the stuff you don't want in the place you DO want. They are like "apples and oranges" as @Miller535 stated. If you can do both, you'll find them better than just one (typically). I'm not saying they'll both be necessary as people run their tanks in a myriad of ways, but they do both way different things typically.

With water clarity, UV sterilizer wins over the two easily. Prevention/reduction of bacterial/protozoan infections also entirely to the UV sterilizer. Other than some prevention of algae growth, the UV sterilizer does NOT rid tank and/or utilize any nutrients (ie nitrate/phosphate).

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess we really need to understand your overall goal, parameters, and how old is the tank? Also do you have a sump with an area for a refugium?

OP
OP
W

Weyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the cycle process, and i will start with fish, and later corals only hardy corals ( hardy by mean easy to grow) down the road, I open to any kind of corals. my goal is a visual appeal as possible, don't want to use any chemicals

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess we really need to understand your overall goal, parameters, and how old is the tank? Also do you have a sump with an area for a refugium?
what size tank?
do you have a sump?
sorry if the answers are here and I missed them.

Waiting for that info too lol

OP
OP
W

Weyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i cant add a refugium to my sump, and it's a 24x24x24 cube with 20x20x20 sump

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 72 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back