Vermetid snail HOW to kill them help!

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i got invaded by these darn Vermetid snail absolutely hate and want destroy them all within 2 days i had 4 on my hammer coral keep him 1/3 the size have liek 3 on my toadstool

I’ve tried ripping them off currently ordered some stainless steel clippers to start chopping but is there any other dang way to stop this invasion i heard bumble bee snails eat them would be getting 10-20 of them in my 10g tank causes issues? Reason i want a lot is so they starve and target them ASAP any input is good input please

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anything has changed since you asked about this yesterday. And trying to starve a animal in hopes that it'll eat something that your not even positive it actually eats is cruel.
Just saying what other people wrote on other forums and before i didn’t know what they where reason why i asked now since i know done some research couldn’t find any ways of eliminating them reason why I’m here

gencarson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had at least 100+ in my 40 Cube. Here is the trick..... Long Stainless Steel Forceps and Long Clamps. Get ready to spend 8 hours crushing the life out them. Lazy *** fish and crabs all join in the feast, but only if I bust em out. Worked like a charm. Wasted a. Weekend though.
And I'm not talking about snapping their tubes, I mean getting medevil on them. The tube leads me to the killing blow. The crunch will quickly become satisfying. Oh, and run the Skimmer and do a water change after your murder spree is over.

DAMMITKAI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pest free 120g tank. I got a couple frags from a coral swap. One had a vermetid, I didn’t know what it was and bam! 2 years later of trying everything. Broke the tank down. The best thing I could do was decrease feedings but I tried to be careful of where I target fed my corals and fish.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I'm not talking about snapping their tubes, I mean getting medevil on them. The tube leads me to the killing blow. The crunch will quickly become satisfying. Oh, and run the Skimmer and do a water change after your murder spree is over.

Yup that is my next step ordered some clippers gonna take each rock out clip the crap out of them only way to do it looks like it

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get all the hate for vermetids. I have tons of them. They are just part of the fauna that grow naturally in our tanks. They don't bother my corals. Don't really bother anything. I like them because they collect particulates in the water column and keep the water clean.

If you really want to get rid of them, then you need to reduce the amount of particulates in the water column. That means feed less more often. Reduce broadcast feeding and just target feed. Run a filter sock. Just realize that other flora/fauna; sponges, bivalves, pods, etc, feed on those particulates as well.

These worms are just one part of a larger ecosystem, and taking steps to destroy them will inevitably impact the rest of the system.

gencarson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get all the hate for vermetids. I have tons of them. They are just part of the fauna that grow naturally in our tanks. They don't bother my corals. Don't really bother anything. I like them because they collect particulates in the water column and keep the water clean.

If you really want to get rid of them, then you need to reduce the amount of particulates in the water column. That means feed less more often. Reduce broadcast feeding and just target feed. Run a filter sock. Just realize that other flora/fauna; sponges, bivalves, pods, etc, feed on those particulates as well.

These worms are just one part of a larger ecosystem, and taking steps to destroy them will inevitably impact the rest of the system.
https://reefbuilders.com/2017/01/31/vermetid-tubeworms-are-bad-for-aquariums-and-coral-reefs/

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 is testing calcium carbonate dosing.

I added bumble bee snails recently to see if will eat mine. They are not always considered a safe addition as more carnivorous than a lot of snails. I havent noticed one eating one yet. Manual removal is the only tried and true method. If have the larger species can treat by closing the hole with super glue.

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 is testing calcium carbonate dosing.

I added bumble bee snails recently to see if will eat mine. They are always considered a safe addition as more carnivorous than a lot of snails. I havent noticed one eating one yet. Manual removal is the only tried and true method. If have the larger species can treat by closing the hole with super glue.
10 days in and it hasn't killed them yet. The anecdotal reports were that it was noticed they were gone after a month, so the test continues....

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've learned the best way to deal with pests that are invasive but don't directly harm things is to learn to ignore them. Vermatids and red turf algae are just a part of my tank. They don't hurt anything so why pull my hair out.
This

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it hilarious that we have people in this post talking about how cruel it would be to add bumblebee snails to a tank. These are the same people telling you to kill vermatid snails with super glue.

I might have miss typed, i was meaning the snails proclivity to eat helpful members of your clean up may detract from their use for killing vermitids. :)

Ocean Lotion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had hundreds. Cut back on feeding, took out sand and put down starboard on the bottom, added bumble bee snails. Don't know what did it but they are gone. Maybe the combination. Who knows.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back