S

Stonefish1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so you're on your own for testing.
Without Mag within a range of say 1280 to 1350 you won't be able to balance and maintain Alk and Ca.
If it's too low you'll need to dose stupid high amounts of Soda Ash to keep Alk where you have it.

What brand test kits do you have for Alk and Ca?
Hanna Alk and Salifert Cal. Thanks for the info but I'm starting to get confused. Others in this conversation suggest I don't need to be dosing Alk and Ca at this time...that water changes should take care of everything, so if that's the case, why do I even need to dose or test for Mag. Not being rude, just asking to learn.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna Alk and Salifert Cal. Thanks for the info but I'm starting to get confused. Others in this conversation suggest I don't need to be dosing Alk and Ca at this time...that water changes should take care of everything, so if that's the case, why do I even need to dose or test for Mag. Not being rude, just asking to learn.
Yes, WCs should take care of things if your system is low demand/no or minimal corals. But a new system does consume Alk (and Ca will fluctuate with it) while it's maturing due to bacterial population growth.
No you don't need to dose right now as long as your salt is within a decent range, but some are low in Ca and many are low in Mag, with some being very high in Alk.

OP
OP
S

Stonefish1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So describe to us you testing method with the Salifert kit for Ca
Greg...Really? I love the fact that you are on my thread trying to help me, but...really. You can read the directions and watch youtube and see how to do it correctly.;) Not trying to be mean I just thought it was a funny question.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greg...Really? I love the fact that you are on my thread trying to help me, but...really. You can read the directions and watch youtube and see how to do it correctly.;) Not trying to be mean I just thought it was a funny question.
If you're making a mistake we'll spot it for you.
If you've been using the same kit for a long time then forget it.
I just find it hard to believe Ca could be so low as 140

Ryan3313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you reading the syringe for calcium. I know when I first started the red sea syringes were kinda confusing on how to read them.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you reading the syringe for calcium. I know when I first started the red sea syringes were kinda confusing on how to read them.
Red Sea is completely opposite compared to salifert .

Red Sea is measured with how much used .
salifert is measured by how much is left

OP
OP
S

Stonefish1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're making a mistake we'll spot it for you.
If you've been using the same kit for a long time then forget it.
I just find it hard to believe Ca could be so low as 140
Your not the only one that finds it hard to believe Ca is so low. Thats why Im so confused. Im new to the hobby but I have done months of research before I started up my tank, and I have not once found this problem with anyone else. How can it be so low when I only have a few very small corals and dosing? Maybe my tank is possessed? :eek:

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your not the only one that finds it hard to believe Ca is so low. Thats why Im so confused. Im new to the hobby but I have done months of research before I started up my tank, and I have not once found this problem with anyone else. How can it be so low when I only have a few very small corals and dosing? Maybe my tank is possessed? :eek:
It's possible your Mag is too low so everything is kinda outta whack.
What brand salt are you using?

Ryan3313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was saying that's its probably easy to misread it. I've never used salifert but obviously something is wrong here and I'm just trying to rule out user error on the test kit.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of which one you're using, you should be seeing above 400 Ca.

During shipping, salt mixes will settle so it's best to thoroughly mix a new bag/bucket before first use. Then you'll get consistent measurements throughout the whole bag/bucket.
If you use the whole bag/bucket in one go then you're fine.

Moving forward, I'd recommend;
Get a Salifert Mag test kit
Test your newly mixed water before adding it to your tank
Test your tank before a WC to know where you're starting at
Test your tank after a WC to know what's changed
Keep records

And by testing, I mean the Big 3 - Alk, Ca and Mag

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as you PO4 testing results goes, have a look at the paperwork to see what the margin of error is.
For example;
The 713 Phosphate reads 0.00 to 2.50PPM with a +/- of 0.04
The 736 Phosphorus is 0 to 200PPB with 5

Jordan92595

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using nothing but RODI water, live sand, water changes 30% about every 10-12 days, and not sure what you call the rock. TLFS told me its man made and has bacteria within that slowly releases in time. Not sure how the CAL can be so low when I am dosing it? I've been using the testers for two months the same way it shows on youtube. Everything has been pretty consistent with the dosing except the CAL. And the Hanna PHOS is inconsistent.

Reef Tank (1).jpg
Have you been doing water changes since you started the tank? Do you want to let your tank fully cycle before you do any water changes and I wouldn’t change the water for about 8 to 12 weeks after starting the tank or until you see a spike in nitrates and or phosphate: you want to let your tank build up bacteria.. if you started doing water changes too early or kept messing with rock in the tank you could keep restarting your cycle over and over again. Let that tank do its thing For 2 months without touching it or adding to it so it fully cycles

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back