mcqueenokc1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up everyone!

I had a nano reef Biocube 14 gallon back in college but now that I am settled (& have more cash) I am getting back into the hobby! I am by no means an expert so all constructive criticism and advise is welcome. There isn't much material out there regarding the Waterbox 50.3 AIO so I thought I would start a build thread for everyone. I am in the planning/budgeting process currently. After going back and forth between this tank, the IM NUVO Fusion 50 Lagoon and the Red Sea E 260 I have decided on the waterbox.

This build thread will not only have the equipment and livestock I use but I will do my best to include pricing upfront as well as maintenance cost, that way someone getting into the hobby can get a full understanding on exactly how much this all costs. This is by no means a budget build as I am wanting to get the right equipment off the bat that will last. After a few weeks of research this is what I have come up with so far:

Initial Equipment:
  • Waterbox AIO 50.3 with the Oak Stand: Link ($1,248.00) - the tank is about 50 gallons total and about 40 gallons in the display tank. 35.4" wide x 19.7" deep" x 17.7" Tall.
  • Wavemakers: Two Aquallluumination Nero 3's Link ($170/each) positioned on opposite ends of the tank.
  • Tunze Comline DOC DC Protein Skimmer 9004 Link ($200.00)
  • Pump: Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5 Link ($70.00)
  • ATO: Tunze Nano Osmolator Auto Top Off w/ 7.1 Gallon ATO Reservoir Link ($120.00)
  • Heater: 200W Titanium Heater System BRS Link ($103.00)
  • Two inTank Media Basket Link ($50/Each). Replacing the filter socks. Filter floss on top with chemical and biological filtration chambers next. Any suggestion on what media to use?
  • Controllers? Are these really worth the high price?
I would love to run a refugium at some point but understand the back wall on waterbox AIO's is semi transparent has anyone had success painting the back of the tank? If so, what type paint did you use? I do not want the refugium light to shine through.

I am planning on doing a long cycle to hopefully avoid the "ugly stage" and in that case I am going to wait to get lights down the road. Open to all suggestions on which lights to get, I have heard great things about the AI Primes, Red Sea, and Ecotech.

Regarding live rock and sand I was thinking the following:
  • Caribsea Liferock 20lb Shapes and Caribsea 20lb Original to use as base pieces Link($220.00 total)
    • Not sold on this. I am wanting a minimalistic look with open spaces for fish to swim. Also like the shelf look so any other ideas??
  • Caribsea Aragontie Reef Sand Link ($23.00/20lbs)
As for RODI water, I am not very interested in the hassle of making my own water as there are a few fish stores close to home that sell it relatively cheap ($0.30/Gallon not mixed, $1.00/Gallon mixed)

This is all for now, going to do a livestock post when I get further down the road! Any ideas? I am thinking 5-8 fish, lps and soft corals, maybe a few easier SPS corals.

Thanks guys!

- McQ

Last edited:

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey nice write up. Adding prices is a great touch. The only issue I see is buying water from the lfs. I tried that once and it had higher tds than my tap water. Had to dump it. Rodi or distilled only imo

doh_nutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also agree. Awesome write up. Makes me want to go back to my build thread and rewrite it. Haha

KaijuKMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up. Excited to see what you do with the scape/livestock.

I have a WB 50.3 aio as well and I went with the AI Prime HD bundle. cycled for around 60 days. I can't wait to put in the first fish currently in QT.

OP
OP
M

mcqueenokc1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a WB 50.3 aio as well and I went with the AI Prime HD bundle. cycled for around 60 days. I can't wait to put in the first fish currently in QT.
Thank you! Embarrassed to say this but I've never QT my livestock. How do you set this up and what do you look for to ensure a healthy fish? What do you plan to stock the tank with? Did you do the flex arms for the AI Prime's?

OP
OP
M

mcqueenokc1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey nice write up. Adding prices is a great touch. The only issue I see is buying water from the lfs. I tried that once and it had higher tds than my tap water. Had to dump it. Rodi or distilled only imo
Thank you! Where do you buy your distilled water from?

Chasing_Nemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, since I'm starting same tank in about a month I gave a thought about live stock I will share. I will do bare bottom tank as I hope it will help with maintence and success long term, i will limit myself with 5 fish. Current plan to have pair of clowns, a goby (Midas probably for vivid coloration), carpenters wrasse for active swimming and pest control. For last fish initialy I was thinking about one of the smaller tangs, but then kinda realised it will penalize my bioload severely as I'm not planning to have a skimmer. So for 5th fish I might go for royal gramma, firefish or similar. I went for 2 AI primes HD and one Nero 5. Haven't thought about corals that much, but i think softies, some LPS would require less attention to thrive than having some SPS.

KaijuKMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Embarrassed to say this but I've never QT my livestock. How do you set this up and what do you look for to ensure a healthy fish? What do you plan to stock the tank with? Did you do the flex arms for the AI Prime's?
I'm new to this and I read up a lot of about QT on this forum. I decided to not use copper treatment unless needed.
I set up an old 10 gal tank as QT and seeded with some sponges from the cycled display tank. Added in a heater and some hiding spots (PVC tubing works great).

After I got my clown pair and acclimated them, I used Safety Stop QT dip and released them into the QT. Observed for a week and feed them well with different types of foods along with a vitamin supplement (Selcon). Next two weeks, I did 2 doses of Prazipro. I released them into the DT today after a 90 min bath with ruby reef rally pro. So far so good.

I got the flex arm kit with the AI Primes.

KaijuKMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for stocking ideas, apart from the 2 clowns, I was hoping to add a flasher wrasse...Carpenters or McCosker's. I definitely want a Royal Gramma. A two spot blenny for that goofy face and algae control.
I was looking into a juvi yellow tang but it will soon outgrow this tank. Instead, I want a Flame angel. I don't want to rush into adding corals yet, so might as well go for the fish I like.

Chasing_Nemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for stocking ideas, apart from the 2 clowns, I was hoping to add a flasher wrasse...Carpenters or McCosker's. I definitely want a Royal Gramma. A two spot blenny for that goofy face and algae control.
I was looking into a juvi yellow tang but it will soon outgrow this tank. Instead, I want a Flame angel. I don't want to rush into adding corals yet, so might as well go for the fish I like.
YT will not outgrow this tank, go ahead if you really want. Just tank will need more maintenance long term and you'd probably should rethink rest of live stock e.g tang and 3-4 smalish not timid fish to avoid aggression issues with the tang. This is your concern and not "outgrowing" thing.

AJJ0501

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm contemplating buying a WB AIO 65.4. Currently researching skimmers, return pumps and regular flow pumps. How/why did you decide to use:
- the Tunze Comline DOC DC Protein Skimmer 9004 (does it fit?)
- the Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5 (is 357GPH enough for a 50G tank? I would consider buying two - in case one fails - and so you can run both at a lower % - or isn't that possible with these ones?)

I'm following the build!

snr1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I am waiting on my AIO 50.3 arriving. Question about the outlet pipe where pump goes. Is it a hard pipe or a hose. Just wondering as pumps I,ve looked at have different size output nozzles. Thanks

ImTheMooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I am waiting on my AIO 50.3 arriving. Question about the outlet pipe where pump goes. Is it a hard pipe or a hose. Just wondering as pumps I,ve looked at have different size output nozzles. Thanks
most likely it's a hose as AIO rarely use hard pipe for pumps. Hose allows for easy removal and maintenance.

snr1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers. Just got the rock today. Not impressed with the 20lb box of arches. 4 small arches weight 9.5lb. Have made claim on website so see what happens

pentest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up everyone!

I had a nano reef Biocube 14 gallon back in college but now that I am settled (& have more cash) I am getting back into the hobby! I am by no means an expert so all constructive criticism and advise is welcome. There isn't much material out there regarding the Waterbox 50.3 AIO so I thought I would start a build thread for everyone. I am in the planning/budgeting process currently. After going back and forth between this tank, the IM NUVO Fusion 50 Lagoon and the Red Sea E 260 I have decided on the waterbox.

This build thread will not only have the equipment and livestock I use but I will do my best to include pricing upfront as well as maintenance cost, that way someone getting into the hobby can get a full understanding on exactly how much this all costs. This is by no means a budget build as I am wanting to get the right equipment off the bat that will last. After a few weeks of research this is what I have come up with so far:

Initial Equipment:
  • Waterbox AIO 50.3 with the Oak Stand: Link ($1,248.00) - the tank is about 50 gallons total and about 40 gallons in the display tank. 35.4" wide x 19.7" deep" x 17.7" Tall.
  • Wavemakers: Two Aquallluumination Nero 3's Link ($170/each) positioned on opposite ends of the tank.
  • ATO: Tunze Nano Osmolator Auto Top Off w/ 7.1 Gallon ATO Reservoir Link ($120.00)
  • Two inTank Media Basket Link ($50/Each). Replacing the filter socks. Filter floss on top with chemical and biological filtration chambers next. Any suggestion on what media to use?
I would love to run a refugium at some point but understand the back wall on waterbox AIO's is semi transparent has anyone had success painting the back of the tank? If so, what type paint did you use? I do not want the refugium light to shine through.

I am planning on doing a long cycle to hopefully avoid the "ugly stage" and in that case I am going to wait to get lights down the road. Open to all suggestions on which lights to get, I have heard great things about the AI Primes, Red Sea, and Ecotech.

• Caribsea Liferock 20lb Shapes and Caribsea 20lb Original to use as base pieces Link($220.00 total)
    • Not sold on this. I am wanting a minimalistic look with open spaces for fish to swim. Also like the shelf look so any other ideas??
As for RODI water, I am not very interested in the hassle of making my own water as there are a few fish stores close to home that sell it relatively cheap ($0.30/Gallon not mixed, $1.00/Gallon mixed)

This is all for now, going to do a livestock post when I get further down the road! Any ideas? I am thinking 5-8 fish, lps and soft corals, maybe a few easier SPS corals.

Thanks guys!

- McQ
Thanks for posting, will follow I am getting the same 50.3

wetwillie07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up everyone!

Initial Equipment:

Thanks guys!

- McQ
im looking at getting this same tank wondering how it's going now that it's been a few months? Also wondering where you put your protine skimmer? would love to see some pics of your set up.

Ltaylor18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Does the system come with a pump or do you have to buy that separately?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back