What a Fish Goes through Before we get Him

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished having breakfast with my wife. I made her egg whites and I had steel cut oatmeal, but who cares. I was thinking about what our fish goes through before we get them. It goes something like this:

The fish, lets say it's a copperband butterfly is swimming around the reef, minding his own business perhaps raising his dorsal fin occasionally if he sees a cute Babe Copperband who looks single. He is sticking his snout in crevices looking for worms for breakfast while also scanning the sea scape for moray eels, groupers, sharks and anything else that would eat him, when all of a sudden he finds himself in a net. He never saw a net and doesn't know what to make of it. He is lifted out of the water, sees the bright sun and is in a place he has never seen. He gasps for breath and tries to swim away but his tail doesn't seem to work. Then he is thrown into a small bucket with 6 or 7 other fish, some of which he doesn't even like.
After a noisy ride in a boat he arrives at a beach where some of his fellow fish are not feeling to well so they are thrown on to the sand. But he is thrown into a larger bucket and gets a ride in a rusty Oldsmobile station wagon to a holding facility with concrete tanks where he is deposited with many more fish.

He realizes he is hungry but there is nothing to eat, he also realizes he is scared, but there is no place to hide.
The next day he is again netted and put into a plastic bag which he thinks is the belly of a jellyfish having never seen a plastic bag. Something is added to the bag to make him "woozy", maybe LSD.
Now he is really terrified and he shows his fear by turning a dark gray to mute his beautiful yellow stripes.
He doesn't know it but now he is in the hold of a commercial air liner where he will stay for an entire day. His captors didn't pay for extra leg room either.
Eventually it gets very bright and someone cuts open the bag he is in with a razor blade and dumps him into a dark, Tupperware container that has 2" of water in it and 30 other, different fish that he never met. The water is too shallow for him to even "stand" upright. A tiny hose is dripping odd tasting water into this tub and he is starting to wake up and become more terrified.
Now he is netted and put into a small glass tank.
He has never encountered glass and tries to swim through it. He keeps bumping his delicate snout on the glass and can't figure out why this "water" is so hard. He realizes he is stuck.
His lateral line keeps telling him there is something surrounding him, but he can't see it.
All of a sudden there are strange particles in the water, weird looking flakes and pellets along with tiny dead shrimp which he has never seen before. He is now really hungry but can't find anything that looks like the food he has been eating every day of his life.
OMG, he realizes he must have died and went to the "other "place besides heaven.

But, No!
He is in a store, an LFS, whatever that is, marked $39.99.

Humans constantly walk by on their silly legs ogling at him and tapping the glass.
A net comes in and chases him around until it traps him against the glass and lifts him out, he again gasps for water as he did before and he really hates when that happens.
Now he is put into the smallest place he has ever been in and it gets very dark.
He is running out of oxygen and he can't move more than a few inches. He is more terrified than he has ever been.

He is thinking he is going to be chopped up with onions, doused with olive oil, stuffed into a small can labeled "Dolphin Safe" and put on a shelf in the canned food aisle of "Super Stop and Shop".

The light returns and a human hand plunges into the bag and takes him out, he knows he will be eaten any second and wishes he could close his eyes, then he realizes, he has no eye lids.
Now he is in a tiny container and it has an irritating blue chemical in it that he doesn't recognize.
After an hour of torture he is placed into a larger, but still tiny tank with that same chemical.
Again some particles are added to his jail cell.

Now if this copperband was going into my tank, he would be released into a natural tank with plenty of hiding places and in a day or so of getting comfortable, eating food he recognizes he would make friends with the other fish and he would go on to live 10 or 15 years of heavenly bliss.

If he is going to some one who quarantines, he will go into a bare tank with plumbing elbows and little else but a bright light.
He will stay there for 72 days all the while saying Jesus, Mary and Josephine, what the heck did I ever do to deserve this!
Will this ever end!.

After the 72 days, he goes into a tank and tries to go about his business without getting into trouble because he doesn't want to be punished any more.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B you amaze us more and more everyday. This made me not want to buy live caught fish any more. That was, until you said "If he was in my reef". Then it clicked, If you are doing it right, everyone should be happy. This is proving your point of quarantining can be bad. It looks nothing like what they were on a few days before, and the food is not food to them. Nice write up

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B you amaze us more and more everyday. This made me not want to buy live caught fish any more. That was, until you said "If he was in my reef". Then it clicked, If you are doing it right, everyone should be happy. This is proving your point of quarantining can be bad. It looks nothing like what they were on a few days before, and the food is not food to them. Nice write up

I was not trying to say Quarantining is bad. I would get in trouble for that and would not be able to look at Supermodels for 20 days. This was just what happens to a fish that we rarely think about. Many people quarantine and it's their tank and their fish so they can do what they like. Either way, if the fish is taken care for properly, quarantined or not, and it lives for it's entire, natural life span, we succeeded. If it dies earlier from anything besides it's natural life span, we, and the fish failed.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely makes you say [emoji848]

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are Supermodels are put in a QT tank and only fed alcohol and cigarettes? Maybe that's why they are so thin.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To feed most Supermodels all you have to do is spray some chicken soup in their face once or twice a day. I worked with quite a few of them and I sometimes helped with their feeding. :rolleyes:

alex.mccann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Staring at my fish after reading this, dang man, you made me feel like crap. Thankfully most my fish are tank bred, so they've never known the "big blue". I was at a local LFS near me that has some huge Mandarins. This kid about 12 years old was buying one and had it all bagged up. He couldn't wait to get it home to his Biocube he just got. Holy crap I had to say something. The LFS employee got ticked off at me and assured the kid it would be fine. They left with the fish anyways. Should be a criminal act IMO, I won't be back to that store.

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across this documentary about the journey wild specimens take as they exchange hands at multiple distributors on their way to LFS and finally our tanks. It's a bit disheartening to see all the stress they are subjected to and all the time they sit in bags during transit.

Ponraj A

RIP Mr.Donovan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B
I hope you remember we had a personal conversation on the Copper band in QT and i really felt the same and seen the reaction of CBB in QT as you have described above. After 5 days in QT I would not able to see him struggling and I put him in my 150g. Within 2 hours i think he made up his mind and started to do his job. Me and my Hercules (CBB) are really thankfull for your reply on my message on that day, otherwise i would have lost him !!!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ponraj A some fish just don't tolerate quarantine well, especially after what they just went through and I think it is the reason so many of them don't eat. I think it causes brain damage but I am speculating. A fish such as a copperband is a very nervous fish to start with, so are hippo tangs as you can never approach then in the sea, they head right into the coral.
I get in trouble for my views on quarantine but my fish die of old age, not disease. I have a gobi dying of old age now. He is in a small container so the fish don't pick on him but if your fish doesn't die of old age, you failed.
Leave the fish in the ocean if you can't properly take care of him. Most fish should live at least ten years and if we kept all our fish that long, there would be no need to collect so many.
The guy in the LFS I go to laughs when he sees me because we joke about how long my fish live. He tells me if fish live a year people think that's great. Of course if all fish lived for 10 or 20 years there would be no LFSs either. :rolleyes:

TheLadyCrash, never spit out wine, if you do, spit it back into the glass. :eek:

Last edited:

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my OT. Observation tank. When I put fish into QT, (quarantine) not quarantine tank, they go here. It has been running for 4 years now. The Jawfish in the center has been in there for three years. He has seen about 30 of the 54 fish I have go through his tank. He has never been sick or has had a parasite. He has been exposed to Prazi 2 times in 3 years. The other photo is my Golden Hawkfish. He is my most expensive fish at $225. He was never in OT. He went straight into the FOWLR as I did not want to expose him to the stress of a small OT. He went in a month after I added my PBT. The PBT spent an extended time in OT because the SG of the LFS water was 1.012. That another stress put on fish in transit. The different SG of all the tanks they are exposed to. My point is that there is no set procedure for all fish due to their different needs. Talking home a fish and throwing him into sterile QT tank after what they have been through is not always a good idea. Some fish have been through so much stress no matter what you do they die soon after you get them home. In the last 5 years I think I have lost 10 fish in OT. It anybody guess why. They could have been speared like a Mandarin, or captured using explosives or poison. These methods have been banned but still exist. Do your fish a favor and use established tanks to house new arrivals and feed quality live or fresh foods to help them settle in. Treat them as pets and not replaceable ornaments.

qt.jpg

gh.jpg

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope copperbands can be captive bred soon. With tangs and other fish such as coral beauties being captive bred it is only a matter of time.

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that video was really good. I cried on some parts but I think it's something we should all watch.
Hopefully they will find better ways to successfully breed for our hobby.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope copperbands can be captive bred soon. With tangs and other fish such as coral beauties being captive bred it is only a matter of time.

All fish can be captive bred. It's just that wild caught are still vastly cheaper.
If you had a small lagoon on some tropical lagoon and it had a screened opening to the sea and you filled it with copperbands, angels, tangs or manta rays they would reproduce because that's what fish do.
If you have ever flew over the South Pacific you will find dozens of uninhabited Islands that could be used for fish propagation. But they are all remote, have no fresh water and are owned by a county that wants to make them into a military installation some day so they are not used for our hobby.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back