What is your dream captive-bred fish?

SurgeonFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here at Biota we've had success in every major family of marine ornamental fishes and I was wondering what species you want to see captive-bred next? Maybe we can make that dream a reality!

For attention, below is a video of our first ever captive-bred red coris wrasse at 49dph which was a really fun one.

Honestly Green chromis. They are cheap and abundant so we don’t talk about their terrible death rates. I have a school of 8 but have lost just as many due to shipping stress.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely clownfish....

......what?

__
Edit: In all seriousness, probably royal grammas. They're quite common, but it'd be nice to know they don't have any ocean diseases.
Best Finding Nemo 2003 GIFs | Gfycat

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely clownfish....

......what?

But what kind of clownfish? Is there a species or type of designer clownfish that is your favorite?

Kellan Lutz Fbifam GIF by CBS

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know that the Blue Stripe Clownfish (Amphiprion chrysopterus) is toward the top of my list right now!

gaki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see very many captive bred yellow clown gobies. I think they're such an underrated fish, so I would love to see them captive bred, I would definitely buy a couple.

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heniochus Diphreutes. They were bred at one point in Fl but never available to the public. They are peaceful, colorful, school in a large tank, very hardy, adapt well to the aquarium, and they are reef safe. Wild caught are difficult to ID so you are taking a risk when you buy one (doable if you count the dorsal spines or get them from Hawaii). But a captive bred Heni would be a guaranteed Diphreutes. Most heni's in the trade are Acuminatus which are not reef safe which give them a bad name.

Joe Rice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got a long way to go in getting the price of your fish down to what someone will want to pay for them. $100 for a $30 fish is more than what most are willing to pay.
They seem to be building a pretty good business, so there must be some folks out there (including me) willing to pay their prices.

calvertc425

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potters wrasse is a must with the Hawaii ban i have one now that is an inch n a half and beautiful

s_spowart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see some captive bred inverts like urchins and snails if they arent already available. In terms of fish, maybe a Fox Face Rabbitfish would be nice.
I am making it a mission to only purchase tank bred fish for my aquarium. I have 2 tanks, one is an African Cichlid tank, well nearly everything is tank bred there, the other a reef. It is still quite hard to get tank bred fish for my reef aquarium, so I have a handful of fish that I could get tank bred, but will likely concentrate on the corals until more fish become available.
I was trying to get a pair of Yellow, and a pair of Regal tangs to go in together, but all the shops have sold out of yellows which are getting so expensive now anyway that it is getting unaffordable, although purple tangs would do as a substitute, and the Regals are all wild caught, so an increase in supply would be handy.

I want to reduce the impact of my aquarium on the reefs, and encourage the breeders, so only tank bred fish, and aqua cultured corals will be purchased. I just have to trust the shop that they are, cant see any way of proving it.

Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see some captive bred inverts like urchins and snails if they arent already available. In terms of fish, maybe a Fox Face Rabbitfish would be nice.
I am making it a mission to only purchase tank bred fish for my aquarium. I have 2 tanks, one is an African Cichlid tank, well nearly everything is tank bred there, the other a reef. It is still quite hard to get tank bred fish for my reef aquarium, so I have a handful of fish that I could get tank bred, but will likely concentrate on the corals until more fish become available.
I was trying to get a pair of Yellow, and a pair of Regal tangs to go in together, but all the shops have sold out of yellows which are getting so expensive now anyway that it is getting unaffordable, although purple tangs would do as a substitute, and the Regals are all wild caught, so an increase in supply would be handy.

I want to reduce the impact of my aquarium on the reefs, and encourage the breeders, so only tank bred fish, and aqua cultured corals will be purchased. I just have to trust the shop that they are, cant see any way of proving it.
you can get captive bred inverts at algae barn https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/captive-bred/invertebrates/
I haven't bought from them so I don't know if they have any issues

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find them directly on our site below:

May I pick your brain a little here.
I have had harem of Royal Gramma before that spawn in my tank. My observation is that Royal Gramma are protogynous hermaphrodites, they are also dimorphic with male have more pink area and less yellow area (transition from pink to yellow are further along the body than female), male have longer pelvic fins also in comparison to female. I never had any problem with get a harem going and get them to spawn. However, another breeder friend of mine did not think this to be the case. He feel that the sex of Royal Gramma are set, not hermaphodites, but the male RG does not fully developed phenotypically unless he is the dominate fish in the group.
What is Biota Marine, having breed Gramma, observation regarding the sexual characteristic of Gramma fish?
TIA for your help.

SaltWaterGoby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a challenge: peppermint angel... Jk. I would love to see more Whitespotted Pygmy Filefish

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I pick your brain a little here.
I have had harem of Royal Gramma before that spawn in my tank. My observation is that Royal Gramma are protogynous hermaphrodites, they are also dimorphic with male have more pink area and less yellow area (transition from pink to yellow are further along the body than female), male have longer pelvic fins also in comparison to female. I never had any problem with get a harem going and get them to spawn. However, another breeder friend of mine did not think this to be the case. He feel that the sex of Royal Gramma are set, not hermaphodites, but the male RG does not fully developed phenotypically unless he is the dominate fish in the group.
What is Biota Marine, having breed Gramma, observation regarding the sexual characteristic of Gramma fish?
TIA for your help.
Todd Gardener or Andrew Rhyne would be the ones to ask as they have been breeding them.

Attachments

• Bisexual juvenile gonad and gonochorism in the fairy basslet, Gramma loreto.pdf
    375.2 KB · Views: 39

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering the demand, it would be great to see more captive bred anthias ... lyretails, bimaculatus, etc.
Also purple and gem tangs.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back