What salinity checking method result do I trust?

Cmooreinor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I have a question. I noticed my salinity was high in my last ICP test so I wanted to make sure my method of checking was accurate. I use a Hanna salinity checker. I calibrate it often and it shows my water at 35 ppt. I check using a refractometer correctly calibrated using a brand new bottle of Brightwell calibration solution and my salinity shows a little over 37.... what do I go by? And, is this a reason my corals have looked annoyed. Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cmooreinor

Cmooreinor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also... this is making me question Hanna checkers! Which sucks because I love them!
giphy.gif

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

To be honest this is why I use the old coralife hydrometers for 30 years. What I can recommend is take your refractometer. First calibrate it with Rodi to zero. Take a reading of the tank. Then calibrate with your reference solution and calibrate. See what you get then and compare to icp. I would have a fellow reefer of LFS also test Just to be sure before making changes. An extra day or so to be sure is being safer than making a wrong change In salinity

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as it pains me to say this, I don't trust the Hanna salinity checker. I'll trust my $25 calibrated refractometer.
Trust the refractometer

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hanna, brs refractometer and a coral life hydrometer. The coralife and the refractometer and within .001 of each other so that can come down to user error or microbubbles. My hanna reads .002-3 below the accual measurement (unless both my refractometer and my hydrometer are wrong). I sent in a icp test a few days back so I will know for sure then. The other thing is that my hanna consistently reads that amount over so I still use it but just to get a general number then use the refractometer to confirm.

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting I was just wondering if the hanna salinity checker was worht the investment or not. i kinda like using the refractometer anyway guess i just stick to that.
Its hit and miss. Some are good, others not so much. I found that mine was not so great. I bought it as my first salinity measurment tool and got the refractometer and coral life after some suspicions that the hanna may be inaccurate.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My old floating hydrometer seems to be the most accurate tool I've used

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda going through the same thing here. I sold a frag to a guy yesterday and he texts me that my salinity is 1.028 So I check my refractometer and the calibration fluid shows 1.026 and my reef shows 1.026 I figured it was the other guys test that was wrong, but he had it double checked today at 2 LFS and he says his unit is spot on. I purchased a new unit that will be here in 10 days. I guess in the mean time I will drag it over to another reefers house and double check it.
Cheers! Mark

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Hanna but keep my tank at 33 ppt and refractometer test 35. Either way I’m in a range that is ok

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a refrac. Also have a tropic marin floating and a swingarm.
If I get a weird reading I check with the TM floating.
Swingarm is acurate if you get all the bubbles off.
I just bought a new bottle of brs fluid for the refrac and it was reading 1.028 while all others read 1.026.
My old fluid is still 3/4 full and I will be using that.
I tested it at lfs and a friends and it still read 1.028.
Like all other tests its good to have more than one way to measure whatever you are testing imo.

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
out of my budget. sometimes I think we over complicate things with all this tech.
I used a swing arm for years just fine. maybe I should get one as a back up double check sorta thing.

A refractometer and or hydrometer will be perfect. Unless you have ample amounts of cash laying around, I would not get a 500 dollar salt reader. Id much rather buy better lights, coral or fish with that money xD

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I have a question. I noticed my salinity was high in my last ICP test so I wanted to make sure my method of checking was accurate. I use a Hanna salinity checker. I calibrate it often and it shows my water at 35 ppt. I check using a refractometer correctly calibrated using a brand new bottle of Brightwell calibration solution and my salinity shows a little over 37.... what do I go by? And, is this a reason my corals have looked annoyed. Thanks.
I had an ICP test come back at 43ppt once! What??!! Yea no way. My corals looked fine and my refractometer had me @ 35ppt. I also use Brightwell calibration fluid. Re-calibrate every 2 weeks. Only thing I could think is some of the water evaporated from the sample tube leaving levels higher than they were in my tank. A handful of other things we ridiculously high as well. Next test 2 weeks later came right in @35ppt. So it's possible ICP was wrong but if your corals don't look happy it's possible you're devices are wrong. Have the LFS test for you.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back