Yellow Coris Wrasse with Mandarin pair?

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I have a pair of Mandarins currently growing up in a small 15g loaded with copepods. Once they get larger, they will move into a 60g penninsula with two clowns and a coral beauty. I've been interested in adding an active fish like a Wrasse and the yellow coris wrasse is very striking to me. I understand this genus of Wrasse likes to feed on copepods, so I'm wondering if I can get a consensus on whether or not the Wrasse would provide too much competition for pods with the Mandarin pair?

I'll add that I replenish pods monthly, feed phyto daily and also feed the fish 4+ times a day, frozen LRS morning and night, pellets at lunch time, then various reef nutrition snacks throughout the day like ROE, Brine shrimp, Mysis etc

Let me know what you think!

pandn1021

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I have a pair of Mandarins currently growing up in a small 15g loaded with copepods. Once they get larger, they will move into a 60g penninsula with two clowns and a coral beauty. I've been interested in adding an active fish like a Wrasse and the yellow coris wrasse is very striking to me. I understand this genus of Wrasse likes to feed on copepods, so I'm wondering if I can get a consensus on whether or not the Wrasse would provide too much competition for pods with the Mandarin pair?

I'll add that I replenish pods monthly, feed phyto daily and also feed the fish 4+ times a day, frozen LRS morning and night, pellets at lunch time, then various reef nutrition snacks throughout the day like ROE, Brine shrimp, Mysis etc

I've got a 125g with a six line wrasse, yellow coris wrasse, melenarus wrasse, leopard wrasse, red fin fairy wrasse, and a mandarin and have tons and tons of pods when I look at the tank at night with a flashlight. I do have a large refugium but with amount of feeding you mentioned I believe you'd be good to go and they will not out compete for pods. I feed a homemade blend of squid, shrimp, octopus, mussels, nori, broccoli, amino acids and powder coral food I blended up into a paste and froze into little pouches. And all my fish love even the leopard and mandarin so maybe that helps my case but either way I believe you'd be fine.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

It should work however the downside is that the Yellow may outgrow the tank rapidly. These guys grow fast even on a 1 day feeding but with 3-4 times of feeding they’ll likely grow much quicker.

pandn1021

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should work however the downside is that the Yellow may outgrow the tank rapidly. These guys grow fast even on a 1 day feeding but with 3-4 times of feeding they’ll likely grow much quicker.
20230811_114710.jpg
i can't think may have a point about the yellow growing rather quickly. They are pigs when eating, I got mine a 1/4 the size of the others and it's catching up in size very fast. Here's my red fin fairy, melenarus, leopard and yellow coris all swimming together.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thank you for all the replies. I'm tempted to give it a shot, my LFS has some that are very small, 1.5" or so. Should hopefully take a bit for them to grow up, though I've always heard the Yellow Coris Wrasse only gets about 5" in captivity. Is a 60g really too small for one fully grown?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi there,

Yellow coris is a nice fish but will outcompete the mandarins for food and eat most of the pods. I would focus on a slower eater or one not too interested in pods.
Tail spot blenny who also eats algae is a good mate

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow coris is a nice fish but will outcompete the mandarins for food and eat most of the pods. I would focus on a slower eater or one not too interested in pods.
Tail spot blenny who also eats algae is a good mate
I disagree… Wrasses wait between each meal. A mandarin won’t, if anything the mandarin will outcompete.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree… Wrasses wait between each meal. A mandarin won’t, if anything the mandarin will outcompete.
I'm not even sure if my mandarins sleep (whenever I see them they're actively hunting...)

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thank you for all the replies. I'm tempted to give it a shot, my LFS has some that are very small, 1.5" or so. Should hopefully take a bit for them to grow up, though I've always heard the Yellow Coris Wrasse only gets about 5" in captivity. Is a 60g really too small for one fully grown?
Since being in the large tank my chrysus has grown about a 1/2” each month.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the insight. I think I will hold off on adding a Wrasse for a while. I will wait for the Mandarins to grow up and enter the main tank, observe their health and fatness and maybe in time when I feel they are well established, I'll add in a Wrasse of some type.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the insight. I think I will hold off on adding a Wrasse for a while. I will wait for the Mandarins to grow up and enter the main tank, observe their health and fatness and maybe in time when I feel they are well established, I'll add in a Wrasse of some type.
If you’re adding pods you’ll be fine.. my yellow corris hangs with the tang gang all day and begs for food! He’s the laziest wrasse I’ve ever owned haha! I never see him hunting he just wants mysis or brine etc.. my mandarin is super fat and eats pods all day and starting to eat frozen mysis when it’s in his general area and moves.

OP
OP
Enad

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re adding pods you’ll be fine.. my yellow corris hangs with the tang gang all day and begs for food! He’s the laziest wrasse I’ve ever owned haha! I never see him hunting he just wants mysis or brine etc.. my mandarin is super fat and eats pods all day and starting to eat frozen mysis when it’s in his general area and moves.

I'm sure it will be fine, but I've had too many lessons about rushing into things. I have a plan and I'm going to try to stick with it. Mandarins have been a dream fish for me, and right now the two little CB babies are my top priority. Once they are happily thriving in the main tank, I can look at other fish to add. I appreciate your reassurance though!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back