★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I learned that trick from a Pro QT Guy....
So I did put in a MaxiJet in QT (WITH GLUED on Guard) so nobody dies like my Helfichi Firefish did.

The QT guy also taught me a trick about Soaking Pellets/Food in Salt water for a while, so the food sinks and doesn't stay on surface of water, going down overflow. Something like that.

My Anthias are doing very well on eating. Especially with Rakie's food receipe.
Today they started gobbling up the Soaked Freeze Dried Mysis. That Selcon must have helped.

@Janci really. Fish Eat Pellet? You need to come and lecture my fish about that.
I tried every kind. Have full jars of many sizes. Have sample of Soft Pellets too. I kind of gave up.
Tang and Angel are the only ones that eat pellets. So I feed them first so they don't hog the other food the other fish like.

Yes, all my fish eat pellets.
I feed them twice per day with it with an automatic feeder.
The know the sound of the feeder and gather around the feeding corner like crazy piranhas.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, all my fish eat pellets.
I feed them twice per day with it with an automatic feeder.
The know the sound of the feeder and gather around the feeding corner like crazy piranhas.
So what's the secret? How did you train them? or are were they Natural Pellet Eaters from the start?
I hate seeing Pellets floating around and poluting tank and that's why I give up.
LFS said, stop the FLAKE and FROZEN, and they will eventually eat the Pellet....but I loose patience and worry that the Fish that don't eat pellets will starve.
I am trying with my Anthias in QT to Feed Pellets once a day (nothing else)...Hopefully before DT they will learn.

I would Love to get my Fish on Pellets. Works great in a AutoFeeder, and also Pellets are more dense on nutrients than Flake.
Frozen has to be done by Hand.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what's the secret? How did you train them? or are were they Natural Pellet Eaters from the start?
I hate seeing Pellets floating around and poluting tank and that's why I give up.
LFS said, stop the FLAKE and FROZEN, and they will eventually eat the Pellet....but I loose patience and worry that the Fish that don't eat pellets will starve.
I am trying with my Anthias in QT to Feed Pellets once a day (nothing else)...Hopefully before DT they will learn.

I would Love to get my Fish on Pellets. Works great in a AutoFeeder, and also Pellets are more dense on nutrients than Flake.
Frozen has to be done by Hand.

I only keep the more easy anthias and do not dare to try my luck with the finicky ones. I have 5 Lyretail and 2 Red Bars left which are doing well for the moment.
I started with feeding them frozen to get them a stronger. The other fish continue to receive pellets which the anthias probably pick up in their feeding frenzy.
Then slowly I start removing the frozen and add more pellets till they are used to it.
With Lyretails it always worked well. Red Bards are easy too, but I have not been successful with any other anthias.

A healthy fish, is a fish that eats. I always check in the store if the fish is eating.
And since I do not have QT, I prefer to pick up fish from local reefers from which I know they are disease free.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MIND BOGGLING (( 1 Anthias out of 3 is MISSING in QT))

Today only 2 Anthias came out to eat. Yesterday or there were 3.

This is a FIRST for me.

Losing a Fish in a 10 Gallon QT with LID.
Impossible!!

But I removed everything and there is only 2 fish and a few hermits.

NO CARCASS. Nothing on the Floor, and we don't have dogs or cats to eat fish off floor.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait until they are in the main tank and you need, for some sort of a reason, try to catch them... they are impossible.
Too fast and they can spiderman them against the rocks like spiderman himself.
Even if you take out the rock, they will not let go.

Good that he is still in there.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting worried about the Anthias.

I just did a clean water Change on QT since I've been running it on DT WC Water and Bacteria to keep it clean.

The one Anthias is still in the Castle House and won't come out. Even to eat.
Now the other two are not swimming out in open as much. They do come out to eat and scoot right back.

This all started Yesterday.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like they are pretty spooked.
You got that right.

I guess the 10 Gal QT doesn't have much Security For them. Just the Castle.
And then this MONSTER Walks by many times a day. (ME)

But it's so true about them doing SpiderMan Stuck to the Wall thing

31138627047_caf9a36ac4_o.jpg

They all look healthy. Two eat in the Open, and I guess 3rd one get's float by food.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias CASTLE SPYCAM (LIVE Day/NightCam)

So one Anthias wasn't play Games and hide and keeping my worrying.

TWO CAN PLAY THAT GAME.
45358427714_d2024c02c8_z.jpg

ALL 3 are fine. Even interesting to see some good fights going on in there.

Can't wait to see if that 3rd one is eating (in bed)....(((( TOO Lazy to come out a eat )))

And even more interesting is when LIGHTS go out. (Camera has night vision :) )

Last edited:

IgnatiusRath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just got two knockoff brand cameras to keep an eye on the dogs, but i think i can place one to catch my fish room mostly too. Be awesome to be able to catch my tank from work!

What cameras you using Wally?

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just got two knockoff brand cameras to keep an eye on the dogs, but i think i can place one to catch my fish room mostly too. Be awesome to be able to catch my tank from work!

What cameras you using Wally?

I tested tons of cameras. And my favourites are the DLINKS. (DC5010 5030)

I have them watching my house, tanks, my mothers place, etc

-> All the NEW CAMERAs are over priced. Don't have the control/fliexibility and sometime want you to pay for Service fees.
-> Some of the knock offs have terrible Apps (and no windows support) and Servers go down. (DLINK will be here forever, and stable)

The reason these are great are Pan and Tilt Control. (One well placed camera allows me to move around and see whole basement areas, DT,QT, SUMP, COntrollers, etc)
PLUS....Night Vision. Fully configurable (anything you want). Picture, Video Captures, timelapse, motion detection (zones)

works on a Stable App 24/7 WORLD WIDE (Win, ANdriod, Mac) and also Generic Browser (IE).

Work on Internet and most important HOUSE LAN (Wifi and Hard Wired)....So you can setup a FTP server on your laptop to store picture and video.

https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DCS-5...TF8&qid=1543423887&sr=8-2&keywords=dlink+5010

The link above is the Meidum Res Version with I like since Fast Transfer and low data costs.

The HD Version is nice too.

https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DCS-5...TF8&qid=1543427481&sr=8-2&keywords=dlink+5030

One of the versions (5030___) has a built in SD card slot that will continue to record if Internet goes doewn.

You can't go wrong with the PRICE. I can show you how to set these up to do wonders.

Last edited:

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wally what do you do? It must be something technical. I am a project manager for an MSP (IT company) and I feel like you could be one of our t2 or t3's haha.

1 star on amazon for the first camera.. haha I trust your review more than the lone review on Amazon. I will note this and may circle back later for your tips n tricks. Do you use any things like Ring for your doorbell? I want one or something like it to monitor my front door.

IgnatiusRath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested tons of cameras. And my favourites are the DLINKS. (DC5010 5030)

I have them watching my house, tanks, my mothers place, etc

-> All the NEW CAMERAs are over priced. Don't have the control/fliexibility and sometime want you to pay for Service fees.
-> Some of the knock offs have terrible Apps (and no windows support) and Servers go down. (DLINK will be here forever, and stable)

The reason these are great are Pan and Tilt Control. (One well placed camera allows me to move around and see whole basement areas, DT,QT, SUMP, COntrollers, etc)
PLUS....Night Vision. Fully configurable (anything you want). Picture, Video Captures, timelapse, motion detection (zones)

works on a Stable App 24/7 WORLD WIDE (Win, ANdriod, Mac) and also Generic Browser (IE).

Work on Internet and most important HOUSE LAN (Wifi and Hard Wired)....So you can setup a FTP server on your laptop to store picture and video.

https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DCS-5...TF8&qid=1543423887&sr=8-2&keywords=dlink+5010

The link above is the Meidum Res Version with I like since Fast Transfer and low data costs.

The HD Version is nice too.

https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DCS-5...TF8&qid=1543427481&sr=8-2&keywords=dlink+5030

One of the versions (5030___) has a built in SD card slot that will continue to record if Internet goes doewn.

You can't go wrong with the PRICE. I can show you how to set these up to do wonders.

You are the man! That is exactly the type of info I needed! Way better than combing review sites and hoping it works out

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 37 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 143 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back