220 Gallon predator Stock List Help

newpredatortank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

I recently set up my tank and currently it houses ten blue damsels. I have a service that will maintain it and they set it all up for me but im in charge of stocking it. I have a Wishlist and I want to know if im missing anything good or if some are not compatible. The guy running my tank said the damsels can be removed or just stay when the predators come.

The tank is 220 gallon with a sump its full of live sand and about 200 lbs of live rock

Panther grouper
Eel Snowflake or tessalata
blue tang
yellow tang
triger: Clown, Picasso, Or niger
Chocolate star
coral cat shark: or bamboo or maybe short tail nurse?
Also the fish guy said I need some type of angle fish so what are good options

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why, the BEST Angel, of course! Lol. An Emperor Angel.

76DB7631-C065-4FAC-8BDB-3E4F650D2D9F.jpeg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DF63DA1E-AEDB-4F43-82DF-1176883B135A.jpeg

It’s a little harder to say with predator fish, because you can buy them and introduce them at such different sizes. From your list, for example, a very tiny juvenile Panther Grouper would probably be a fairly ‘chill’ fish at first. While it’s mouth is still small. Lol. Regardless of the order, a good acclimation box can really help.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll need much larger tank for any of the sharks you mentioned. You might be able to get away with a blue spot stingray though….

OP
OP
N

newpredatortank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DF63DA1E-AEDB-4F43-82DF-1176883B135A.jpeg

It’s a little harder to say with predator fish, because you can buy them and introduce them at such different sizes. From your list, for example, a very tiny juvenile Panther Grouper would probably be a fairly ‘chill’ fish at first. While it’s mouth is still small. Lol. Regardless of the order, a good acclimation box can really help.
I have seen the tiny panther groupers at some stores by me and they are absolutely adorable. Ill definitely get an acclimation box. I want to make sure everything goes fairly smooth while Introducing them. Your tank looks awesome btw I love the clown trigger.

OP
OP
N

newpredatortank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll need much larger tank for any of the sharks you mentioned. You might be able to get away with a blue spot stingray though….
I've read that the stingrays aren't really great in captivity. I've been reading these forums for awhile and I see not a lot of people like sharks in these size tanks but it seems loads of people do it successfully with the lazier types of sharks. That being said I know my girlfriends would like a stingray so I'm not opposed to switching that around it just seemed to me that the shark would be happier than a stingray. I also have the room and budget to probably go up to an 8x4 tank that's what I had originally looked into but i was having trouble finding someone to move it into my basement (i got a quote for $9500). But I'm sure if in a year or two i could have one built down there if i needed to upgrade. Im wondering if you think any of those sharks would be ok for 2 year in that size tank. 2.5 years to be on the safe side? I appreciate your input even if its not what i want to hear.. Thats the reason I made this post instead of just doing what i wanted

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read that the stingrays aren't really great in captivity. I've been reading these forums for awhile and I see not a lot of people like sharks in these size tanks but it seems loads of people do it successfully with the lazier types of sharks. That being said I know my girlfriends would like a stingray so I'm not opposed to switching that around it just seemed to me that the shark would be happier than a stingray. I also have the room and budget to probably go up to an 8x4 tank that's what I had originally looked into but i was having trouble finding someone to move it into my basement (i got a quote for $9500). But I'm sure if in a year or two i could have one built down there if i needed to upgrade. Im wondering if you think any of those sharks would be ok for 2 year in that size tank. 2.5 years to be on the safe side? I appreciate your input even if its not what i want to hear.. Thats the reason I made this post instead of just doing what i wanted

Hats off to you for being open minded and trying to learn as you go!!

I’m not an expert on the sharks you mentioned as I’ve never looked into them with anything more than mild curiosity. So I’m not sure how quickly they grow. If slow growth is the norm it might be doable.

let me get some people in here who know more than me and could answer your question better:

@lion king @ReefSquad

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hats off to you for being open minded and trying to learn as you go!!

I’m not an expert on the sharks you mentioned as I’ve never looked into them with anything more than mild curiosity. So I’m not sure how quickly they grow. If slow growth is the norm it might be doable.

let me get some people in here who know more than me and could answer your question better:

@lion king @ReefSquad
If I’m not mistaken .
I remember reading about them from hatching the egg . They will grow 12” in less than a year . But … that could also be a different species of shark ?

@vetteguy53081 do you know the min take size requirements and how fast they grow from hatch ?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick google search
A bamboo shark will grow 12-1’5” in the first year .
and additionally 9” per year after
If given the proper conditions, nutritional foods etc

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any or all of the triggers would be good additions. They will likely chomp on the starfish, and sharks need a tank that is primarily designed for them. I'm not a shark guy but every additiin needs to have the sharks best interest in mind and the tank design needs to take their needs as priority. Personally not a good idea for a newbie without a lot of research, and even then a shark tank. A 220g will be a tank for a tessa alone, whether you want it or not. If you keep one long enough, they will either eat or fubar everyone else in the tank. Most people don't keep them alive long enough. It would be best to stick with a pebbletooth: snowflake is fine, or a zebra, skelator, or chainlink. Even a combo as long as you give enough den options. An angel is great, snd yesthe emporer is king, and a crowd pleaser. Tangs are great as mates in an agressive tank; I enjoy the orange shoulder or the lieutenant, and a trio of zebrasomas like the scopas. Many options in tangs. As far as groupers go, the panther will get huge even in a 220g, think about one of the smaller ones like the miniatus, v tail. or the blueline. You could also include a puffer, the dogface is my fav, or a stars and stripes would be a good choice.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If I’m not mistaken .
I remember reading about them from hatching the egg . They will grow 12” in less than a year . But … that could also be a different species of shark ?

@vetteguy53081 do you know the min take size requirements and how fast they grow from hatch ?
At least 240 gallons , very clean water especially since they’re messy eaters and growth varies depending on diet and tank size although they can outgrow given tank
I can post more later as I’m in meetings

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All this talk of gallons all the time…

…gallons don’t mean anything, it’s all about foot print.

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

I recently set up my tank and currently it houses ten blue damsels. I have a service that will maintain it and they set it all up for me but im in charge of stocking it. I have a Wishlist and I want to know if im missing anything good or if some are not compatible. The guy running my tank said the damsels can be removed or just stay when the predators come.

The tank is 220 gallon with a sump its full of live sand and about 200 lbs of live rock

Panther grouper
Eel Snowflake or tessalata
blue tang
yellow tang
triger: Clown, Picasso, Or niger
Chocolate star
coral cat shark: or bamboo or maybe short tail nurse?
Also the fish guy said I need some type of angle fish so what are good options
Don’t get chocolate stars man starfish donot do well in captivity, wait until there captive bred.

OP
OP
N

newpredatortank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s an update. I have Elon to e eel and chip the starfish. I still have the blue damsels and I just added my emperor angel. I also have a dozen hermit crabs and 6 turbo snails cruising around. I see the starfish post saying they are not good but I bought her before I saw that but I’ve had her a month and she seems to be doing great. I’m no longer planning on the triggers because of the starfish but my girlfriend had to have it. Any good ideas on what else I should add?
5CF16B2D-150D-488A-8956-C009772F3AED.jpeg

Attachments

• F28C2EC9-7AD3-4ED4-AE0F-01CA87D03D88.jpeg
    F28C2EC9-7AD3-4ED4-AE0F-01CA87D03D88.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8584.mov
    2.3 MB

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s an update. I have Elon to e eel and chip the starfish. I still have the blue damsels and I just added my emperor angel. I also have a dozen hermit crabs and 6 turbo snails cruising around. I see the starfish post saying they are not good but I bought her before I saw that but I’ve had her a month and she seems to be doing great. I’m no longer planning on the triggers because of the starfish but my girlfriend had to have it. Any good ideas on what else I should add?
5CF16B2D-150D-488A-8956-C009772F3AED.jpeg
Awesome man, I would add some conchs cause ur tanks pretty huge if u like conchs. Chocolate chip stars are one of my favorite maybe my favorite sea animal of all time. I just believe they should be left in the ocean because they do not do we’ll in captivity. If they ever find a way to captive breed them I will most likely get one. But they have not found out exactly what they eat, and there very sensitive to water changes and nitrates.

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome man, I would add some conchs cause ur tanks pretty huge if u like conchs. Chocolate chip stars are one of my favorite maybe my favorite sea animal of all time. I just believe they should be left in the ocean because they do not do we’ll in captivity. If they ever find a way to captive breed them I will most likely get one. But they have not found out exactly what they eat, and there very sensitive to water changes and nitrates.
And keep updating this forum, I would like to continue to hear about your tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back