3D Printing thread

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Print turned out great. Unfortunately I didn't actually measure my QT rim so it doesn't quite fit (clip is a bit long), nothing gluing a spacer won't fix. Thanks.

IMG_0229.jpeg

It looks so cool in that orange! If you want a STL with a narrower gap let me know, I've worked to make that part easily adjustable in fusion360. Thanks for sharing the photo, awesome to see it in the wild!

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks so cool in that orange! If you want a STL with a narrower gap let me know, I've worked to make that part easily adjustable in fusion360. Thanks for sharing the photo, awesome to see it in the wild!
No problem. I think it’s fine like this. I’m not picky :D I just download fusion 360, about time I learn how to model :cool:

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You darn prusa guys are really making me almost pull the trigger on the mk3 haha. Need to get this Tevo back up and running..

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found a seller on Amazon... Almost all of his listings are someone else's design and none of them give the author credit, many of them were published with a non commercial license.

Scumbag.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found a seller on Amazon... Almost all of his listings are someone else's design and none of them give the author credit, many of them were published with a non commercial license.

Scumbag.
----------- Thou I quoted a user direct this is not meant to apply directly to this users post.. Just my opinion disputes i have seen pop up--

I am thinking r2r should make it against the rules to post 3d printed or any DIY Projects if you not willing to share them with the Community..This would stop the buying and selling that is AGAINST The rules....

My thinking is 3D PRINTERS are all Based on open source Hardware and Software development. 99% of all stl files out there were Designed on open source or Corp. Purchased software (purchased for other uses being used by employees for side projects). My Thoughts are if you post designs on the web using expecting someone to not copy the design you MIGHT need to rethink your strategy on a 3d business.
I do agree with you on the thinking of someone taking a open source or published design by a hobby user and trying to make money on it.. The exception is the person should tell where she / he got the design and provide the Cad and STL FILES ...

There are going to be Legal battles over 3d printing designs and Files in the Near Future. I just hope its a few years out from now...

My Conclusion opinion.. if your using open source software or free (such as the hobby agreement from fusion) OPEN SOURCE HARDWARE .. The term scumbag could actually be used. For not giving back to the open source community..... Everyone uses parts of someone elses designs Just by browsing the web for Inspiration..... the whole patent law thing needs to be revised ... and example is apply patented the curve of button of the i- phone... ITS A COMMON THING.....

Again my opinion and not trying to argue your point because i see both sides...

Thank you for READING..

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
----------- Thou I quoted a user direct this is not meant to apply directly to this users post.. Just my opinion disputes i have seen pop up--

I am thinking r2r should make it against the rules to post 3d printed or any DIY Projects if you not willing to share them with the Community..This would stop the buying and selling that is AGAINST The rules....

My thinking is 3D PRINTERS are all Based on open source Hardware and Software development. 99% of all stl files out there were Designed on open source or Corp. Purchased software (purchased for other uses being used by employees for side projects). My Thoughts are if you post designs on the web using expecting someone to not copy the design you MIGHT need to rethink your strategy on a 3d business.
I do agree with you on the thinking of someone taking a open source or published design by a hobby user and trying to make money on it.. The exception is the person should tell where she / he got the design and provide the Cad and STL FILES ...

There are going to be Legal battles over 3d printing designs and Files in the Near Future. I just hope its a few years out from now...

My Conclusion opinion.. if your using open source software or free (such as the hobby agreement from fusion) OPEN SOURCE HARDWARE .. The term scumbag could actually be used. For not giving back to the open source community..... Everyone uses parts of someone elses designs Just by browsing the web for Inspiration..... the whole patent law thing needs to be revised ... and example is apply patented the curve of button of the i- phone... ITS A COMMON THING.....

Again my opinion and not trying to argue your point because i see both sides...

Thank you for READING..

Buying and selling 3d prints is no longer against R2R rules. There is a special marketplace section just for 3d printing.

Someone selling your design that has a non commercial license is no different than someone selling your music, your movie or your artwork.

You want a stipulation that any shared projects requires sharing source files... That will just stifle creativity since people who don't want to share files will stop posting projects. This is why the creative commons license exists, so people can share their creativity for others to enjoy without someone taking financial advantage of their work.

You're confusing "open source" with licensing. Most of the software is licensed for use for free, not "open source" where the company shares its software design files so anyone can copy it and make their own. That's a big difference.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying and selling 3d prints is no longer against R2R rules. There is a special marketplace section just for 3d printing.

Someone selling your design that has a non commercial license is no different than someone selling your music, your movie or your artwork.

You want a stipulation that any shared projects requires sharing source files... That will just stifle creativity since people who don't want to share files will stop posting projects. This is why the creative commons license exists, so people can share their creativity for others to enjoy without someone taking financial advantage of their work.

You're confusing "open source" with licensing. Most of the software is licensed for use for free, not "open source" where the company shares its software design files so anyone can copy it and make their own. That's a big difference.

I AGREE.. Then it might be best to take up this issue with the platform which they are selling your designs. I also think share your files or keep them to yourself. posting in a non selling area.. I sell 3d printed stuff.. Look what i created today (image here) This is advertisement to sell something..

anyway this is a GRAY area just like much of open source software. also free licenses say for personal use or in the case of fusion 360 you get one year free commercial use for small business with a gross profit of 100k total... that is not 100k in 3d designs only..

With the above. I agree with you about the guy who is selling other peoples work on retail store fronts.. Going after this person on that platform where the designer feels the stealing is happening.

My thinking is this thread and others on here are going to end up with images of items for sale and less Sharing of STL Files. Posting I just made this check it out... in the same post your talking about you sell 3d printed items for a living should be in a vender or selling forum.

Again my Opinion not trying to Cause confrontation.... Check out the reef-pi forum and user created sub forums . this is how it should be... Same situation but done correctly..

I shup up about this now.. yes it does hit a nerve .

Erica Renee

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get what your saying Erica and while I wouldnt want to require users to share the STL I still think its a good idea that they do.

I sell a Hydra light shade on here in the 3d print Selling forum but I also share the STL for anyone who wants to print their own. It costs me money to print them and my time to design them but Im personally happy to donate my time to the open source community. My printer wouldn't exist without the open source community and I'm happy to give back.

I take pride in my designs and print quality and hope to sell to users who dont have the ability to print their own or those who want to buy it with confidence that it will be printed with the quality the designer had in mind. So far I have had more people want to buy it complete rather than print it themselves and I doubt the print people would have bought it instead if I said no to sharing the STL.

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lindux, I absolutely agree.

I assume anyone with a printer can easily reproduce anythibg I make, and many have. I'd rather save them the time and have others modify my design to fit their needs so I can get feedback on the design. I'm not an engineer so my designs leave a lot to be desired.

People with printers are not who buy what I make, it's a win-win situation to share files with them.

Every time I publish designs with a non commercial license, I find half a dozen people on ebay selling my design in violation of it. They are not paying income taxes or business fees with their profits so they sell less than I do. Ebay, etsy and Amazon don't understand this issue very well and don't take it seriously at all.

I left a career of ten years as a firefighter to take care of my daughter (epilepsy) while my wife was in school for nursing. Selling coral and 3d printing is the only way I can make financial contributions to my household.

If the creative commons license was easier to enforce or respected, I'd share everything.

There are a few non-commercial licensed designs I sell online. The designers don't sell online and I believe the designs are a benefit to the hobby and should be out there. I asked the designers for permission and they receive a portion of every sale of it.

I feel like this mentality that if you designed something in open source software (that isn't open source, just free), slice it in open source (*free) software and print it on open source design (that you built from materials you purchased) then you have no right to put a non commercial license on it.... Is a bit flawed.

Last edited:

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get what your saying Erica and while I wouldnt want to require users to share the STL I still think its a good idea that they do.

I sell a Hydra light shade on here in the 3d print Selling forum but I also share the STL for anyone who wants to print their own. It costs me money to print them and my time to design them but Im personally happy to donate my time to the open source community. My printer wouldn't exist without the open source community and I'm happy to give back.

I take pride in my designs and print quality and hope to sell to users who dont have the ability to print their own or those who want to buy it with confidence that it will be printed with the quality the designer had in mind. So far I have had more people want to buy it complete rather than print it themselves and I doubt the print people would have bought it instead if I said no to sharing the STL.
Look into modifying your design to add a diffuser panel to it. Lots of people are looking for them.

I'm still trying to get a par meter to test mine.

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2c is that you should never represent designs as your own. However If it’s put into a common place with a free for all license you lose all rights to selling it. Your doing it for the betterment of the community and that + recognition is your reward.

Not everyone has a printer and people are willing to pay for a print (heck even thingiverse has a buy button). It’s not something I am interested in doing but for a bit of fish money in an otherwise expensive hobby why not.

People who want to share will and I think it’s a super dirty move to charge for someone else’s design that is not allowed to be used for commercial use but that is a legal issue if your license prevented it.

At least if your going to sell them .. ASK. Worst they say no then work on your own model copy, beat case most be like go for it

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ludnix,

Do you have an .stl for the prime?

My design is just not coming out how I want it to.

:(

I actually have back burnered a design for it for a local club member but I really want it get it going now that my printer is set back up again. Any specific requests with it? My exisiting design is the same idea as my hydra, it slides over the top with a lip to keep it on.

Look into modifying your design to add a diffuser panel to it. Lots of people are looking for them.

I'm still trying to get a par meter to test mine.

I have been thinking similarly! Especially with the Coralcare phillips light that has come out in Europe and the attention it has gotten. Do you have any thoughts on diffuser materials? I imagine I'll check what's available locally and just test it out until I find something that isn't too opaque. I do have a PAR meter so if there any materials or designs I can test for you let me know!

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have designed a diffuser for the A360we and the noopsyche K7.

The kessil one is to reduce shadowing and only works if you have at least 3 fixtures and only diffuse one. But, it does a good job.

The noopsyche works really well.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ludnix I would appreciate it if you would finish it. I am just stuck. My son took a stab at it and it just looked clunky. I tried and, although it looked better, I couldn't get it to stay on without double sided tape.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back