40 Long Macroalgae tank

Dos Ocho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I know i don't post much here, but i do frequent this forum and appreciate the treasure trove of information here. Anywho, thought I'd share a couple videos of my 40 long system. It's been running for about 8 months now. 40 long display and a 33 long sump with display fuge. Macro heavy, with a few soft corals and anemones. Only 2 fish, a chromis and a court jester goby. Cleaner shrimp and 2 Peppermint shrimp in the display. Tons of snails and pods too. Maybe a porcelain crab too, but he has always been hiding and i have not seen him in a while.
Got a handful of hermit crabs in the display fuge, along with starfish, snails, and an elusive emerald crab hitchhiker. Got GSP, pulsing Xenia, and Anthelia as well. The majority of the display fuge came from a 10 gallon tank that i had running since July of last year. I started with a 20 long sump, but was kinda tired of managing the 10 gallon (it was a very low tech setup; lots of manual maintenance) so i made a 33 long sump and transferred everything over back in February, hence the corals in the sump.

I really love macroalgae and was the purpose of this tank from day 1. I estimate about 15 or so different varieties. Hard to say what my favorite is, they all have their own unique beauty. The system is very nutrient rich and i do fed heavy, but the whole system is teeming with life and i really like how it looks.

Enjoy the vids and i can list all the details of the setup if anyone is interested. Happy 4th!!

Display :

Sump / Fuge :

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I know i don't post much here, but i do frequent this forum and appreciate the treasure trove of information here. Anywho, thought I'd share a couple videos of my 40 long system. It's been running for about 8 months now. 40 long display and a 33 long sump with display fuge. Macro heavy, with a few soft corals and anemones. Only 2 fish, a chromis and a court jester goby. Cleaner shrimp and 2 Peppermint shrimp in the display. Tons of snails and pods too. Maybe a porcelain crab too, but he has always been hiding and i have not seen him in a while.
Got a handful of hermit crabs in the display fuge, along with starfish, snails, and an elusive emerald crab hitchhiker. Got GSP, pulsing Xenia, and Anthelia as well. The majority of the display fuge came from a 10 gallon tank that i had running since July of last year. I started with a 20 long sump, but was kinda tired of managing the 10 gallon (it was a very low tech setup; lots of manual maintenance) so i made a 33 long sump and transferred everything over back in February, hence the corals in the sump.

I really love macroalgae and was the purpose of this tank from day 1. I estimate about 15 or so different varieties. Hard to say what my favorite is, they all have their own unique beauty. The system is very nutrient rich and i do fed heavy, but the whole system is teeming with life and i really like how it looks.

Enjoy the vids and i can list all the details of the setup if anyone is interested. Happy 4th!!

Display :

Sump / Fuge :

Hi!

I think it looks really nice. :) I love natural looking tanks.

Also, what is it about watching Xenia pulse that is sooooo relaxing?

OP
OP
Dos Ocho

Dos Ocho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Xenia is definitely one of my favorites. The fuge is lit up at night opposite they display so i honestly watch that more than the display during the work week. They spread quick but seem to have leveled out and have not reproduced much over the last few months. The colony is very healthy though and i have spent a lot of time getting lost watching the pulses!!

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Xenia is definitely one of my favorites. The fuge is lit up at night opposite they display so i honestly watch that more than the display during the work week. They spread quick but seem to have leveled out and have not reproduced much over the last few months. The colony is very healthy though and i have spent a lot of time getting lost watching the pulses!!

It’s beautiful.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Display :

Sump / Fuge :

Loving this loads, that is stunning. :)

OP
OP
Dos Ocho

Dos Ocho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a few pix of the system.

E8C9BF2C-FDCD-498C-82EC-DDAD0FBEF24C.jpeg

C0BE2DA9-A45D-4F4C-8E32-91A6293D7827.jpeg

19177546-8879-4ADE-8354-A06AF51BDACB.jpeg

FFC24FCC-6507-41B9-8DD3-128BB6C51D43.jpeg

540855B0-CCAC-4CD9-A990-5719D5F43B9F.jpeg

CB112877-6172-4DE1-9A8C-4D08A8C4DF9C.jpeg

B676E690-8651-49A9-80D5-0A3308D9D920.jpeg

35FDF0E3-7346-4BD3-9FE8-3E949D0BB802.jpeg

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been meaning to do a full update, but here are some sump shots i took tonight. Did my monthly water change. The system is rocking and the display fuge was looking good tonight. I'll have more info later, but for now, enjoy the pix.

IMG_4868.JPG

IMG_4867.JPG

IMG_4866.JPG

IMG_4865.JPG

IMG_4864.JPG

IMG_4863.JPG

IMG_4862.JPG

sooo pretty :)

OP
OP
Dos Ocho

Dos Ocho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a video walkthru of the display and a few pix. Everything is looking great!! The biocube refugees are settling in, anemones doing well, and the fish are all healthy and cohabiting nicely. I had a string of the feather caulerpa go sexual and dissolve a few weeks ago, but the system was not affected at all. I had about half the back wall on the blue light side covered in hair algae, but that is all gone now. Unfortunately my calcified algae is mostly gone, but the "fleshy" stuff is thriving.
So, that is about the long and short of it. The system is fantastic and is now super low maintenance. I stopped using filter floss as the last strip i used stayed clean after 1 month. I use GAC and replace it every 2 weeks. 4.5 gallon water changes monthly.
I feed a cube of food in the morning, then one at night. Used to do two in the morning but the Cardinals seem more nocturnal and eat better at night. I drop in some reef roids a few times a week. The sump critters get an algae tablet once a day, and i feed some more cod slices now that i have 2 peppermint shrimp in the sump. I see the shrimp eat some of the bigger pods occasionally, but they have not made the slightest dent in their population. This is turning into my dream tank and i love looking at it every day! Enjoy the pix and video.

IMG_4875.JPG

IMG_4874.JPG

IMG_4873.JPG

IMG_4872.JPG

IMG_4871.JPG

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 74 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 57 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back