Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys and Gals!

My first R2R Post!

So a little background:

My name is Brandon and I've been into aquariums for nearly my entire life, ( Sounds like an AA intro I know ) saltwater though, for years, has been my main infatuation. After putting myself through college and living in anti-tank apartments, I've finally purchased my first home! TANK TIME! I consider myself an experienced amateur and have successfully kept soft corals and some LPS with great success, so I know the basics, but have never surpassed the 30 gallon mark. I know larger aquariums are less prone to environmental swings and are generally easier to maintain, but there is just something about a smaller aquarium that feels more "personal" to me. So with that being said I had difficulty deciding on what tank I would like, believe me there are a ton of beautiful "standard" size aquariums but something about shallow builds and cubes captivated me. Considering budget, location in my home, and overall dimensions of the aquarium I wanted, I decided on the shallow water build.

My budget was minimal ( For reef standards anyway ) I have been " collecting " new and used equipment via Black Friday sales, eBay auctions, and checking craigslist and Facebook for over year.

So here is what I've collected or made:

Equipment List:

Tank: Deep Blue 45 Gallon 48" X 18" X 12"
Stand: DIY
Lighting: (3) Gen 3 Ecotech Radion XR15 W/ RMS Mount
Powerheads: (2) Ecotech Vortech MP10W QD
Sump W/Fuge: (1) DIY 20 Gallon Long with Baffles
Skimmer: Vertex Omega 130
Return Pump: (1) Ecotech Vectra M1
Doser: (2) BRS Doser W/ Two Part
Biopellet: (1) CPR Nano Biopellet Tumbler
GFO and Carbon: BRS (1) Dual Reactor W/ MJ1200 Return
Top Off: (1) Tunze Osmolator 3155
Top Off Container: (1) 5 Gallon Aquarium
Chiller: (1) Current USA 1/15 HP
(1) Vertex Grounding Probe

(More to be added)

I wanted the stand to be tall (as I am fairly tall myself) and hoped it would keep my curious felines from putting their paws in the tank, plus I wanted everything I needed to be housed in the stand.

I am leaning towards some of the aquascaping coming out of the water as the "volcano tank" has resonated with me since seeing it, but I'm not totally decided, mangroves maybe? Looking on keeping the tank load fairly light with maybe just two fish (rare goby or designer clown?) and some high end soft corals, LPS, and who knows down the road maybe a SPS or clam?

Honestly I wasn't very confident in my build so I don't have too many "in the making" shots but Im starting to near the end and can see my vision forming. I have perused a few saltwater reef forums in the past months and think R2R is my kinda place. So I hope to share my progress and try to keep you guys updated. ( I work three jobs so Ill try to update when I can )

Here is where I stood after the weekend ( Work in Progress)

IMG_9268.JPG

Happy Reefing!

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love shallow tanks, can't wait tinder this progress!

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what you want to keep in it?

OP
OP
GraphicReefer

GraphicReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what you want to keep in it?

I'm torn right now currently. I want to keep it an open top so anything that's an escape artist or jumper is out. I've found some really cool blennies that I am interested in or maybe just a pair of clowns. Not 100% decided yet, I would love input or recommendations though!

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gold assessors are awesome and you can never go wrong with a pair of clowns. Have you looked at some of the different types of cardinal fish?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice work on the total project.

OP
OP
GraphicReefer

GraphicReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys! Not that I'm putting it in this weekend but my sand should be delivered tomorrow! With such a shallow tank I would love to experiment with a "Lagoonish/Mangrove" aquascape, which had me thinking. I know the great debate between DSP and SSB but has anyone every seen a tank that has much more sand on one side and slops to a shallower sand bed? Like a 5" sand bed that gradually slants into a 2" sand bed? Would gasses build up in the deeper sections and cause issues? I have never had a DSP before. I know it would have to be aquascaped in a manner that would "hold back" and maintain the different depths. Excuse the crude sketch but this is kinda my first brainstorm draft... Any input? Thanks!
Tank-01.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Guys! Not that I'm putting it in this weekend but my sand should be delivered tomorrow! With such a shallow tank I would love to experiment with a "Lagoonish/Mangrove" aquascape, which had me thinking. I know the great debate between DSP and SSB but has anyone every seen a tank that has much more sand on one side and slops to a shallower sand bed? Like a 5" sand bed that gradually slants into a 2" sand bed? Would gasses build up in the deeper sections and cause issues? I have never had a DSP before. I know it would have to be aquascaped in a manner that would "hold back" and maintain the different depths. Excuse the crude sketch but this is kinda my first brainstorm draft... Any input? Thanks!
Tank-01.jpg

Ooh looking forward to this!

listen2bob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank-01.jpg
My 80 has 5 inches or so on one end and bare glass on the other due to flow

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back