MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20211025_084424.jpg

IMG_20211025_084353.jpg
IMG_20211025_084415.jpg

Was cleaning my skimmer today and decided to see how it fit in the new build, seems like it was made to fit :) I left just enough room above the skimmer to get the cup off without sliding out the sump, but with how smooth everything travels I will probably slide it out anyways lol. I have been continuing to work on plumbing here and there, I want to be able to easily access and remove any part of the plumbing if needed, and that has added a bit of complexity to it. On top of the stand is my new overflow box, and because that is quite wide, I will have a pretty big gap between the back of the tank and the wall, plenty to fit my hand around to remove plumbing.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
IMG_20211025_084424.jpg

IMG_20211025_084353.jpg
IMG_20211025_084415.jpg

Was cleaning my skimmer today and decided to see how it fit in the new build, seems like it was made to fit :) I left just enough room above the skimmer to get the cup off without sliding out the sump, but with how smooth everything travels I will probably slide it out anyways lol. I have been continuing to work on plumbing here and there, I want to be able to easily access and remove any part of the plumbing if needed, and that has added a bit of complexity to it. On top of the stand is my new overflow box, and because that is quite wide, I will have a pretty big gap between the back of the tank and the wall, plenty to fit my hand around to remove plumbing.
Looking good!

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely, 100%, wholeheartedly agree lol.

From a broad design perspective this had to be made this way. To be honest the issues I have run into throughout the build were never a part of my consideration, and many of the issues I thought I would have, I just didn't. Without having built it, I never would have known, so the next one is likely to be multitudes more simple.

If this thing hits my target of 2 weeks without any intervention of mine, then I will consider it worth the time and effort. (Feeding is independent of maintenance)

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a broad design perspective this had to be made this way. To be honest the issues I have run into throughout the build were never a part of my consideration, and many of the issues I thought I would have, I just didn't. Without having built it, I never would have known, so the next one is likely to be multitudes more simple.
Yep, R&D at it's very core. ;Facepalm:rolleyes:;)
Speaking of which, how did the "ATO via bucket filling trough" work out? I see the door, is it operational?

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not tried dumping a bucket into it yet. As I don't intend to run yet another tube between the sump and stand, I will need to set something up from the output of the trough to just above the ATO reservoir. It's important to note that the trough cannot be used unless the sump is pushed back, or you will be dumping water directly onto the ground (via the trough) the trough is strong enough to hold up a full 5g bucket on its lip,so I think it will be fairly easy to dump when I have something to catch it!

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was going to order a mr aqua 60g cube, but international shipping had made that impossible. More recently I have been trading messages with glass cages to see if they can hook me up. I'd like to get the glass here so I can start finalizing plumbing and start work on side panels.

The festoon cable running to the rear outlet breakout is causing me issues, it sometimes will bend properly and not cause a hang up when sliding in the sump, but sometimes it does. I have been working out if this is something I can even fix with my current setup or if I need to reprint my cable management box.... The issue is that I attempted to keep the ribbon tucked under the extrusion directly under the tank, and it naturally wants to droop when the slide is pulled out. Because of this it will sometimes bend the wrong way and hang up when sliding in. Had I used a more typical festoon cable layout this would not have been an issue, but it would cause signal contamination to my sensor wires and take more space than what I have now. There is a simple solution that entails stopping the sump from sliding out all the way, but I don't consider that an option, as I have fought way too hard for every inch of extra slide out distance.

Thanks for checking in :)

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"If this thing hits my target of 2 weeks without any intervention of mine, then I will consider it worth the time and effort. (Feeding is independent of maintenance)"
Not as elborate however I did the slide out sump on my cube originally... This time around I put a sump in the basement...

I can relate to having a target.

It is nice... I have about a week cushion. However it is limited due to the top off water in a 10 gallon cube. I could run the line directly to my 30 gallon barrel RO reserve that is a couple of feet away. It would then give me 3 weeks for top off.

If going away I make sure it is dry skim, and auto water change container (it lasts several weeks) and top off is full. As long as the Kalk reactor is dialed in all is fine, eventually I will also have to supplement with 2 part (dose). My testing is manual, generally it can wait until I get back.

Wife does not have much interest, so I have to make sure it will run on it's own ;) Although she will feed the fish.... But I can set up the auto feeder if necessary.

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found setting up the DOS for auto water change and building a water mixing station to be the best items for me to automate and make the aquarium tasks easy.. Some times I get lazy and blow the whole scheduled water change thing.. The mixing station definitely makes everything easy. When I need to refill the auto mixing station simply run the hose and refill the container, same for the RO top off.

Only other thing I plan on doing. I am keeping my eye open for a canister filter. I will use that to vacuum out the gravel and clean up the sump every so often,,,

Looks like you are close! and.... coming up on a one year anniversary of your build progress. Our approach is the exact opposite ;) since coral grow so slow I wanted to get them in the water as soon as possible. You will have a nice set up once completed!

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back