60G Peninsula lighting options

Kelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I just bought a waterbox peninsula 3620, and am currently looking at lighting. There are so many viable options, or atleast I think so, and am really unsure which one to buy. Its a 60g 35.4"×19.7"×21.7" peninsula tank and I would like to keep the lightspill to a minimum.

Lifestock will be
Corals:
1 green monti cap,
1 red monti cap,
1 green polyp stylophora,
1 big hammer/frogspawn,
rest possibly lps and zoas
Eventually in a year orso an acro or 2 at the top parts.

Further lifestock:
some snails and hermits,
1-2 cleaner shrimp
1 blenny,
2 clownfish,
2 Pseudocheilinops Ataenia,
maybe a juvenile tomini tang.

I live in europe and lighting is priced a bit differently then in the states,

3 prime 16, 1 hydra 64, 1 philips coralcare, 2 reefled 90's all cost the same.
For 250 usd extra I can get 2 hydra 32 or 1 xr30, for 400 usd extra 2 xr15.

For my lifestock choices, will any of these options do? Im guessing the primes or reefleds would be best because of the spread. And would 2 prime 16s be enough if I place my corals correctly?

Kind Regards,
Kelp

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick whichever of those lights is visually pleasing to you. They will all to the job. The only one I would eliminate would be a hydra 64 as you would be much better suited with 2 or 3 primes.

OP
OP
K

Kelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply! I think im going with either the primes + 3d printed light guards or the reefleds, the coralcare will probably give too much light spill when I use just one on the tank.

What lights do you use? And would you think 3 lower watt lights (ai primes or reefled 50s) are better than 2 90w lights? (reefled 90).

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply! I think im going with either the primes + 3d printed light guards or the reefleds, the coralcare will probably give too much light spill when I use just one on the tank.

What lights do you use? And would you think 3 lower watt lights (ai primes or reefled 50s) are better than 2 90w lights? (reefled 90).

I use ocean revives (basically slightly better version of a black box LED fixture) as I started my tank on a budget but I am looking to switch to kessils with reef brites or radion g5's as my sps colonies grow larger. My current lighting set up works but I definitely have hot spot issues that are common with black box style lights, however I really don't have the money right now to spend on a new setup (I am traveling a lot for research I am doing)

As for 3 primes or reef led 50's vs 2 reef led 90's, multiple smaller fixtures usually is better in terms of spread but either will work just fine. As for which brand, I would see what features of the lights are most pleasant to you. If you like mixing colors to your liking, the primes are good. If you like wide shimmer lines and a light that doesn't waste space on colors you may not use, the red sea reef led is a good choice.

OP
OP
K

Kelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, going to look into the spectrum some more but will get either 3 ai prime 16s or 2 reefled 90s!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back