!!!7000+ POUNDS OF GLASS!! YOU GUYS UP FOR A BUILD OR WHAT??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So is changing out both sediment filters all three different carbon filters and both di canisters month being overly paranoid about keeping clean water?

We are in the same boat for sure with our city water. You may want to look into one of these. I have really bad sediment in my water. Literally every time i made water sed filter got orange. I actually ran a sediment prefilter stage becaus I used them up so fast. literally One time use only, and the calorie I can smell from across the room sometimes.

A friend recommended one of these And i am on month 6 now and my sed filter is still pure white. and I haven't had a whiff of chlorine since either. Between this and a softener, your RO will thank you

it will pay for itself in a couple years easily.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-Whole-House-Complete-Filtration-System/1082883

edit: er wait looks like you may already have one. is this what you have and you can still smell the chlorine?

Test led

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second one since we moved in 3 years ago actually. Thought the first one was bad. I get all the fun stuff in my water line being at the end of a main run, high chlorine, low ph, high co2, high magnesium and high iron. And various other stuff I am sure. I almost bought a commercial ro/di unit just couldn't justify the cost to the wife.
20170922_203801.jpg

Test led

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Just keep buying more filters and add on housings. I told myself when I get to 12 ten inch filters I will switch to the 20 inch housings. But so far tds stays 0 and my sand in my tank is still white so there is that.

Last edited:

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to pull up my water report from when we had our water tested, does that thing work kind of like a sand filter for a pool, but with media?

Test led

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to pull up my water report from when we had our water tested, does that thing work kind of like a sand filter for a pool, but with media?

Kinda, it is supposed to remove sediment and the chlorine/iron taste and smell from your water. It has a timer that back flushes the unit weekly or can manually do it everyday like I do. Between this and the water softener our water is so much better than what city water over in this area is normally.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't feel so bad about my well water. Out of the tap it's 55-65 TDS, after RO its 3.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL poor Adam and his build thread, I'm just over here giggling, but trying to get some serious help here :p

Sadly I have no place to run such a unit except for the pump house outside. This seems like it would be a great idea, but I saw some comments from people that talked about it getting gummed up from too much sediment. I was considering an acid neutralizer for hour house, but then am I just adding more ions that my RO and DI membranes will need to pull out. I think I'm starting to stray into Randy territory. I shall go ask him.

Also fwiw I looked up my water report, 5.7pH and 9.24 ppm silica :(

montethemoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are in the same boat for sure with our city water. You may want to look into one of these. I have really bad sediment in my water. Literally every time i made water sed filter got orange. I actually ran a sediment prefilter stage becaus I used them up so fast. literally One time use only, and the calorie I can smell from across the room sometimes.

A friend recommended one of these And i am on month 6 now and my sed filter is still pure white. and I haven't had a whiff of chlorine since either. Between this and a softener, your RO will thank you

it will pay for itself in a couple years easily.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-Whole-House-Complete-Filtration-System/1082883

edit: er wait looks like you may already have one. is this what you have and you can still smell the chlorine?

Do you have a prefilter before the whirlpool?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you have a prefilter before the whirlpool?

I don't. It' taking the brunt for sure but mine is only on the line that feeds the RO in the New facility so id expect it toast much longer than if it was filtering every drop we used in the house, wash, showers etc. however i liked it so much that I got another for the rest of the house.

I'll know pretty quickly when the Carbon capacity is exhausted I'm guessing but they claim you get roughly 10 years. No so sure about that but we'll see.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't. It' taking the brunt for sure but mine is only on the line that feeds the RO in the New facility so id expect it toast much longer than if it was filtering every drop we used in the house, wash, showers etc. however i liked it so much that I got another for the rest of the house.

I'll know pretty quickly when the Carbon capacity is exhausted I'm guessing but they claim you get roughly 10 years. No so sure about that but we'll see.
I added an Iron removal system that is carbon based and injects air into the system to oxidize the iron for it to be flushed out.

I think this helped greatly with degassing by well water (in addition to the iron removal).

montethemoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm definitely tempted to give it a try, for the price, i guess I would be happy to get 5 yrs out of it, if it significantly improves filter/di life. How was the install?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi Adam, can you show us your CO2 and regulator setup for your Geo?

Sure thing! Nothing fancy at al really. Just a reef fanatic regulator, a 20 lb tank and a 10 lb back up. Have gone through few regulators over the years but this simple reg, needle valve and solenoid set up is what I've been using for many year snow.

IMG_5087.JPG

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is changing out both sediment filters all three different carbon filters and both di canisters month being overly paranoid about keeping clean water?

Do you do any kind of testing to verify?

There are simple was to know exactly when each filter needs replacing.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you do any kind of testing to verify?

There are simple was to know exactly when each filter needs replacing.

I think I also depends on how much water is passing through them, but in his case, it sounds like the water is pretty terrible and erring on the side of extra caution may not be a bad route to take. again dependent on the water used though, Id say still.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link to these tests? I'd love to learn about them, thanks!

Sediment filter: is bad when the PSI drops by 3-5% or more. If it fluctuates I would go with averages. Color has no meaning.

Carbon blocks: test for chlorine with a total chlorine test strips for preseance. If chlorine is detected in the waste water change carbon.

RO: change RO membrane when the rejection rate rises. Calculate by using the incoming TDS and TDS directly out of the RO before DI.

DI: change when detecting TDI. I have a meter after each DI canister and change out the first one when there are TDS, the place the second in the first position.

Sorry took so long to get back to you.

Jlahr16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sediment filter: is bad when the PSI drops by 3-5% or more. If it fluctuates I would go with averages. Color has no meaning.

Carbon blocks: test for chlorine with a total chlorine test strips for preseance. If chlorine is detected in the waste water change carbon.

RO: change RO membrane when the rejection rate rises. Calculate by using the incoming TDS and TDS directly out of the RO before DI.

DI: change when detecting TDI. I have a meter after each DI canister and change out the first one when there are TDS, the place the second in the first position.

Sorry took so long to get back to you.
Awesome! Thanks for the knowledge :)

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read through this thread a couple time and pick up different things along the way . One thing that comes to mind is what your maintanece schedule looks like.
What do you do for physical nutrient removal? And how often

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back