AI PRIME 16hd settings

Jarrito

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, just set up a 10g cube just starting the cycle ut was wondering after the cycle is done how I should set my light, tank is 11.8x15x13. Pretty new to reefing so I was wondering what my light schedule, ramp time, and how to use the myAI app. I watched a few videos but don't rlly understand the power usage feature as well as the spectrum stuff just wondering what I should set all of those at specific levels.

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI's AB+ spectrum, which Ecotech emulated in their lab and then Bulk Reef Supply and everybody else in the ocean emulated after that, is a well tested spectrum, albeit on the blue side aesthetically:

With such a shallow tank you are going to want to run your daily maximum at a percentage of each of those levels to start and then very slowly increase them over the course of several weeks (once corals are in, not before then). Maybe start at 40% times the final value for a maximum, so 0.4 x (119, 116, 79, 80, 4, 4, and 19), or:

48 UV
46 V
32 Royal
32 B
2 G
2 R
8 W

(Those are the peak values for the day). A good lighting schedule would be to start at 0 across the board, ramp over 2 hours to those max values, sustain max for 4 hours, then ramp down over 2 hours. Eventually you may want to extend that duration a bit, but that would be a good starting point to avoid an algae outbreak. In terms of intensity, I would increase each channel only by a few percent every week until you start approaching 100% for the UV and V channels. Depending on what you keep will dictate whether you need to be lower or higher than that in the end, but that is a conversation for another day.

Note, if you are fish only or no corals for sometime, I wouldn't run the lights for that long nor that intensely, as you will only be feeding potential algae until there are inhabitants to compete for nutrients. Maybe just a couple hours a day for your enjoyment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jarrito

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, just set up a 10g cube just starting the cycle ut was wondering after the cycle is done how I should set my light, tank is 11.8x15x13. Pretty new to reefing so I was wondering what my light schedule, ramp time, and how to use the myAI app. I watched a few videos but don't rlly understand the power usage feature as well as the spectrum stuff just wondering what I should set all of those at specific levels.
as well as the kelvins

OP
OP
J

Jarrito

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI's AB+ spectrum, which Ecotech emulated in their lab and then Bulk Reef Supply and everybody else in the ocean emulated after that, is a well tested spectrum, albeit on the blue side aesthetically:

With such a shallow tank you are going to want to run your daily maximum at a percentage of each of those levels to start and then very slowly increase them over the course of several weeks (once corals are in, not before then). Maybe start at 40% times the final value for a maximum, so 0.4 x (119, 116, 79, 80, 4, 4, and 19), or:

48 UV
46 V
32 Royal
32 B
2 G
2 R
8 W

(Those are the peak values for the day). A good lighting schedule would be to start at 0 across the board, ramp over 2 hours to those max values, sustain max for 4 hours, then ramp down over 2 hours. Eventually you may want to extend that duration a bit, but that would be a good starting point to avoid an algae outbreak. In terms of intensity, I would increase each channel only by a few percent every week until you start approaching 100% for the UV and V channels. Depending on what you keep will dictate whether you need to be lower or higher than that in the end, but that is a conversation for another day.

Note, if you are fish only or no corals for sometime, I wouldn't run the lights for that long nor that intensely, as you will only be feeding potential algae until there are inhabitants to compete for nutrients. Maybe just a couple hours a day for your enjoyment.

Thank you!

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as well as the kelvins
If you decide to configure your LED using the channels to a fairly recognized output, you can disregard the Kelvin rating. But just as an FYI, most modern spectral configurations (using the individual channels) are going to be putting the light into a range of 10K to 20K kelvin wise, probably more so to the bluer 20K. This is simply trying to mimic what most corals experience in the wild and what they have adapted to, which may be completely contrary to what most aquarists would desire from an aesthetic standpoint. On the one hand a blue setting (especially regards the UV channel) makes greenish corals really "pop", like a blacklight, but on the other hand such a setting makes brighter colors (e.g. yellow, orange, red) really look dull. So many will add a bit more of the white channel in to adjust the "look" of the lighting to their taste. Many will say that the white/green/red bands tend to promote more algae growth, and there is probably something to that (hence why freshwater planted aquarium keepers use lights in the 6500K range, much more yellow/green, not necessarily cool white).

OP
OP
J

Jarrito

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to configure your LED using the channels to a fairly recognized output, you can disregard the Kelvin rating. But just as an FYI, most modern spectral configurations (using the individual channels) are going to be putting the light into a range of 10K to 20K kelvin wise, probably more so to the bluer 20K. This is simply trying to mimic what most corals experience in the wild and what they have adapted to, which may be completely contrary to what most aquarists would desire from an aesthetic standpoint. On the one hand a blue setting (especially regards the UV channel) makes greenish corals really "pop", like a blacklight, but on the other hand such a setting makes brighter colors (e.g. yellow, orange, red) really look dull. So many will add a bit more of the white channel in to adjust the "look" of the lighting to their taste. Many will say that the white/green/red bands tend to promote more algae growth, and there is probably something to that (hence why freshwater planted aquarium keepers use lights in the 6500K range, much more yellow/green, not necessarily cool white).
Thank You, This has helped a lot

OP
OP
J

Jarrito

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, just wondering if coral selection would make any difference to any of the things you have told me... I will only have lps and softies

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely, you need to learn what the lighting needs are for the particular species you will keep. Lower light species lower in the tank, higher light ones up higher. Softies are not so demanding, LPS a bit more, but anemones and SPS are all light hungry, some more than others.

OP
OP
J

Jarrito

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have 1 more question how high should I mount my light for my size of a tank. Sorry for asking so many questions just want to make sure I'm doing things right.

OP
OP
J

Jarrito

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely, you need to learn what the lighting needs are for the particular species you will keep. Lower light species lower in the tank, higher light ones up higher. Softies are not so demanding, LPS a bit more, but anemones and SPS are all light hungry, some more than others.
Thanks

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have 1 more question how high should I mount my light for my size of a tank. Sorry for asking so many questions just want to make sure I'm doing things right.
@Jarrito - See this video at the marked time:

I believe they cover a 12" cube tank's recommended height, which is the dimension you would probably want to use since it is closest to your tank's height.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back