AI Prime or?

05FLSTCI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm setting up an EVO 13.5, the AI Prime seems to be the goto light, not worried about pennies on a dollar just looking for the right light the first time. So I guess my question is "AI Prime" or?

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres a section of people in this forum that all have this tank you can tag that part of the forum but my friend has an AI Prime on his and another has a kessil A80. Theres a couple LED strips that are perfect for that tank and can't remember the name.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running the AI Prime (not the 16) over my 5g and I love it. My first light was a cheap knockoff which was doing an OK job on my corals but there was no way to customize any of the settings nor could I do simple stuff like ramp up/down or do any type of acclimation setting. I purchased a used Prime and my only regret is that I should've done it sooner and saved myself $90 I spent on the other light. My corals are fluffier with much better polyp extension and are generally looking so much healthier. I didn't change anything else in the tank so I attribute this to the light. If you buy a used one make sure the owner removes the light from their account. If they don't you can't add it to yours. Good luck and keep us posted

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So I'm setting up an EVO 13.5, the AI Prime seems to be the goto light, not worried about pennies on a dollar just looking for the right light the first time. So I guess my question is "AI Prime" or?
This should work well. Also look at Kessil A160 and Noopschye

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of the tank, and what corals are you keeping?

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some also find the Redsea ReefLed 50 to be in the running for good lights in this application.

paulgriffin971

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI prime 16 is the way to go for your size tank. I would say if you really wanted to pinch pennies, a current marine light would be OK, but since you're not worried about he $ aspect, get the AI prime. Adjustable, price is reasonable, has a great warranty, customer support from AI is outstanding, and a LOT of people use them--so we share schedules and spectrums.

As a bonus, the AI Prime 16 (or a Kessill which is a little more $) can be transferred to your next tank when you upsize. Then you won't have to buy two lights because you'll already have the one.

Oh, and the used resale market for AI Primes' is solid because they're a proven product.

OP
OP
05FLSTCI

05FLSTCI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 22"L x 15"H x 11.5W. I just started to get things together. The plan is to fill it with softies, LSP's. 2 clowns and a CUC. I'd like to do an anem, but haven't read enough on them and believe I read that not all anems will host clowns. But I also believe an anem isn't necessary for clowns.

What arm are you guys using? I'm trying to keep the overflow of light down so I may add a shade. Thanks again guys.

Last edited:

paulgriffin971

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 22"L x 15"H x 11.5W. I just started to get things together. The plan is to fill it with softies, LSP's. 2 clowns and a CUC. I'd like to do an anem, but haven't read enough on them and believe I read that not all anems will host clowns. But I also believe an anem isn't necessary for clowns.

What arm are you guys using? I'm trying to keep the overflow of light down so I may add a shade. Thanks again guys.

Just go with the standard AI flex mount that's made for them. You could hang them from the ceiling or a home made shelf bracket (think angled closet rod holder), but that's typically done for much larger tanks or when the tank is super shallow.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you want in the tank?

It has been awhile since I owned an AI. I have a 12x12x12 cube that was running a Kessil A160 Tuna blue. At 100% my bubble tips moved to the top of the rock work stretching for light and had their tentacles on the surface.

I am now running an XR15 at 60-75% and everything is much happier.

I will caution you to buy a light that’s larger than what you need and run it at 50-80%. Too many of these newer lights (looking at you Kessil) are not meant to run 8-12 hours a day at 100%….despite the fact that they’re happy to do benchmarking and give numbers based on 100%.

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I was looking at the 12" flex.
I had 3 flex arms and didn’t like them at all. Too much bending and adjusting and can never seem to get it perfect. Check out the rigid arm before you make a purchase, only a few bucks more.

Daftendire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with ai prime 16hds is that the uv and violet LEDs will melt through the lenses even under low-moderate intensity. 1 out of 3 of my units also developed a fan rattle and had to be replaced at about a year mark. The fans are noisy in general.

However, the light output and spectrum is very nice and works well for nano tanks. The app is also very well put together. I have 3 over a 22 gallon aquamaxx and grow sps well. Overall a decent budget option if you don't mind replacing lenses.

If I were to do it again and was not on a budget, I would look into kessil a360x or reefi uno and tune the intensity down.

OP
OP
05FLSTCI

05FLSTCI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@srobertb The plan is to fill it with softies, LSP's. 2 clowns and a CUC. I'd like to do an anem, but haven't read enough on them and believe I read that not all anems will host clowns. But I also believe an anem isn't necessary for clowns.

OP
OP
05FLSTCI

05FLSTCI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to thank everyone for all the responses, this has been helpful. I was into the Reef Tank days when Halides, T5's/VHO's were hot. We had a 55 and 125. All Belgium method tanks. I'd love to go bigger but my complex allows 10 gal max. I really like the look of Bio 16, I'd rather have a hood because of light spill. I really don't want my small place flooded with blue light but not sure I can avoid that. I don't have a budget, but not wealthy either, lol. I know I won't be expanding because of rules, but just want to do it right the first time. Thanks again.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like AI prime. Syncs with the same app as the nero powerheads (both use my AI).

OP
OP
05FLSTCI

05FLSTCI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to get my hands on Nero 3 but out of stock everywhere

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want Nero 3 go AI prime 16hd or find a used AI prime non HD and that way you can use the integration on the App you'll be happier that way.

As far as the Nem you should wait probably 6months after your tank is cycled and gone through the ugly phase to get one. They aren't great with unstable tanks. Let it get stable and then you'll be fine. So you've got 6months to find out what kind you like. @AquaSD has some great priced anemones when you get ready or you can probably find one from a local reefer.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back