Aiptasia question

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a slight aiptasia problem that I’ve managed to keep under control for a while but with my upgrade steadily moving a long, I’m debating whether or not I want to use a shock and awe method here with my live rock and replacing whatever bio media and plumbing that’s on the current set up. My concern is preserving nitrifying bacteria as my fish and coral will be continuing on to the upgrade. Is there any way I can nuke these things out of the rock without killing the beneficial stuff or am I limited to either battling them for the rest of my life, or killing everything off and starting a fresh cycle?

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s 125 upgrading to a 240. I’ve only tried peppermint shrimp but they seemed to have disappeared. I just figured if there’s a way to handle it during the upgrade I might as well try.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While mobing rocks take a lighter, torch lighter works better as its flame is pointed and burn deep into the cavity where aiptasia is. Rinse with saltwater and place it into the tank.

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had amazing luck battling aiptasia in my 32gal with a single peppermint shrimp aiptasia was gone within a few weeks and have yet to see it come back I will warn you that after it’s all gone the shrimp will steal food from corals and other tank mates I try to target feed mine first so it stays occupied during feeding

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had amazing luck battling aiptasia in my 32gal with a single peppermint shrimp aiptasia was gone within a few weeks and have yet to see it come back I will warn you that after it’s all gone the shrimp will steal food from corals and other tank mates I try to target feed mine first so it stays occupied during feeding

Maybe I can keep the rock in a container with some power heads and throw a few shrimp in there let them feast for a few weeks.

I think I placed 6-8 of them in the display and never said them again. The aiptasia spread so I’m assuming the shrimp are no longer a live.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are, IIRC, a couple of very similar looking "peppermint" shrimp - some of which eat Aiptasia, and some of which don't. (And some of which snack on only the very finest of rock-flower anemones . . . )

~Bruce

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I can keep the rock in a container with some power heads and throw a few shrimp in there let them feast for a few weeks.

I think I placed 6-8 of them in the display and never said them again. The aiptasia spread so I’m assuming the shrimp are no longer a live.
Worth a try I guess

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would avoid full blown sterilization of the tank, plumbing, etc. For the upgrade. Just try to get as many as you can manually and add some natural predators. It would really stink to do all the work to sterilize the whole tank and kill everything, then down the road one sneaks in on something and you have aiptasia popping up places again. My opinion is there's enough options out there, with some effort and good management, you can contol the glass anemone to where it's not a major problem, if not get rid of it completely through these means.

If you do go shock and awe on them, a very good quarantine protocol on the upgraded tank would be wise!

Last edited:

goatcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feels like it takes a dead rock tank like 1 1/2 years to bake in— even with bacteria. I’d avoid the shock and awe as well. Superglue them, aptasia x, Kalk, nudis, peppermints.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Berghia's work wonders. I'm currently using them and they are doing a spectacular job. I bought 4 (1/2") berghia's at the end of July and they have multiplied and nearly wiped out all of the aiptasia. Only a few large aiptasia are left in the display, but there are plenty of tiny ones in my chaeto, so I've been moving them down to the sump (some have migrated on their own) and they are still munching along. It will take them a while to build numbers, but once they do, it's game over!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2bc20b13be63eb1faa31534bd9325ff8.jpg

6433599ac2195d6381a36afc07c5d3c5.jpg

This is from two nights ago. They ganged up on one aiptasia.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are probably right. I went ahead and ordered a little over a dozen peppermints and will start them off in the refugium and slowly move them to the display.

For those using berghia, have you had problems with wrasses eating them?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Berghia's are active at night, so they're usually safe, but that's not to say an overzealous wrasse can't find them?
I have 3 flashers and one Tanaka pygmy wrasse and the berghia's are fine.

Ghost463

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While mobing rocks take a lighter, torch lighter works better as its flame is pointed and burn deep into the cavity where aiptasia is. Rinse with saltwater and place it into the tank.
Tjats a great idea!! Thanks for that one.

Back