Algae Scrubber Help!

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by landlocked303, Jul 23, 2017.

1. landlocked303

landlocked303 Member

I bought the Santa Monica Drop 1.4 for my BioCube 29 a few weeks ago. I have been running it for about 6 hours a night the last month and have ZERO growth... I have green hair algae on the rocks and glass, so I know there's nutrients. Any Ideas why I can't get any growth in the scrubber? Should I increase the photoperiod or decrease? Any thoughts?

2. abstractxx02195

abstractxx02195 Member

Mine is on 10pm to 4pm everyday , it takes time .. and I had plenty of nutrients lol

I think mine kicked in almost 2 months later and now I am removing algae every week

3. landlocked303

landlocked303 Member

How big of a tank do you have? So you're thinking I increase the photoperiod and then be patient?

4. abstractxx02195

abstractxx02195 Member

79 gallons Red Sea

Yes , just increase the time. After your initial growth , the black slime , clean it up and put it back ..

If you really want to speed up the process , after that black algae , u can maybe put a pinch of chaeto or other type to speed it up .. I saw one of my buddies do that and he was way faster than me lol .

5. landlocked303

landlocked303 Member

Okay, thanks for the help. Maybe I'll seed it to speed it up. Does Chaeto grow under this spectrum?

6. abstractxx02195

abstractxx02195 Member

According to what I see in his tank , completely yes lol

Draft saved Draft deleted