DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna go the safe route and pick up some Prazi from the LFS today and start. Just in case. I love this fairy and dont want to lose another fish.

Questions on using prazi in DT-- will this affect the inverts???

Do you have Focus to bind the meds with the food?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, but I can order some. I’m gonna do prazi pro first, see how that does. Don’t wanna OD the fish with adding two meds that could exponentially grow more lethal when combined.

Focus isn't a medication. It's a binding agent.
Focus keeps the meds from going into the water column.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used prazi in the display, but every wrasse gets run through prazi for me. Wrasses in general, and fairy wrasses specifically are very prone to fluke infestations. If I remember right, most inverts will be alright with prazi in the display, but tube worms and such will not survive the treatment.

If you can catch the wrasse (I know that is not going to be easy) a freshwater dip will confirm the presence of flukes. Most of the time they attach to the gills so watch for labored breathing in your Solernarius. I wish you the best of luck. Your wrasse is gorgeous. Hope he pulls through.

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used prazi in the display, but every wrasse gets run through prazi for me. Wrasses in general, and fairy wrasses specifically are very prone to fluke infestations. If I remember right, most inverts will be alright with prazi in the display, but tube worms and such will not survive the treatment.

If you can catch the wrasse (I know that is not going to be easy) a freshwater dip will confirm the presence of flukes. Most of the time they attach to the gills so watch for labored breathing in your Solernarius. I wish you the best of luck. Your wrasse is gorgeous. Hope he pulls through.

thank you! No labored breathing yet, just very lathargic and sleeping all day. Just came home from picking up prazi and he’s already wedged between rocks in his sleep spot.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m confused as to why I need a binding agent for the prazi, it’s not going on the food, it’s getting doses based on tank size and running through the whole system.

I've only used prazi by soaking the food and feeding to the fish. I wouldn't recommend dosing your display with prazi.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

You do prazi pro into the tank but wrasse generally do not do well with prazi. I am not the greatest with wrasses. I would hold off on prazi though. See if @Big G or maybe @saltyhog @Billldg is around @evolved

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @alimac122
here’s information I pulled from humblefish and Big G. I realize you are dosing your display. It doesn’t affect biofilter or inverts except tube worms, feather worms, bristleworms. If you have a lot of those, it could cause an ammonia spike. Also note that wrasses are considered sensitive to praziquantel.

From humblefish: note the water change time and use of carbon
If you are treating a known prazi sensitive species (e.g. wrasse), you can run carbon or perform a water change 24 hours after dosing in order to limit exposure time. While praziquantel does remain active in the water column for up to 72 hours, only 24 hours are needed for it to eradicate external worms. Don’t forget to still do the second round though!

from big g.
PraziPro works best in a QT with a longer soak time. Prazi remains very active in the QT for 24 hours or so and then declines rapidly. And in that QT, highly recommend using a powerhead aimed up at the surface with it actively rippling the water to compensate for the O2 the oxybispropanol is absorbing/using.
Dose the Prazi. Wait 5-7 days. Then do a 25% water change. Dose again. Wait 5-7 days. Then do a 25% water change. Then observe for 10 days. We've seen prazi resistant flukes lately

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @alimac122
here’s information I pulled from humblefish and Big G. I realize you are dosing your display. It doesn’t affect biofilter or inverts except tube worms, feather worms, bristleworms. If you have a lot of those, it could cause an ammonia spike. Also note that wrasses are considered sensitive to praziquantel.

From humblefish: note the water change time and use of carbon
If you are treating a known prazi sensitive species (e.g. wrasse), you can run carbon or perform a water change 24 hours after dosing in order to limit exposure time. While praziquantel does remain active in the water column for up to 72 hours, only 24 hours are needed for it to eradicate external worms. Don’t forget to still do the second round though!

from big g.
PraziPro works best in a QT with a longer soak time. Prazi remains very active in the QT for 24 hours or so and then declines rapidly. And in that QT, highly recommend using a powerhead aimed up at the surface with it actively rippling the water to compensate for the O2 the oxybispropanol is absorbing/using.
Dose the Prazi. Wait 5-7 days. Then do a 25% water change. Dose again. Wait 5-7 days. Then do a 25% water change. Then observe for 10 days. We've seen prazi resistant flukes lately

Thank you! I dosed at 6pm so I will add carbon tomorrow at 6pm! Should I throw back in the chemipure blue I already had in the sump or should I get a fresh one to ensure optimal adsorption???

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi is fine in the DT if you don't have any desired worms of any kind. As noted above, your skimmer will go crazy, sometimes for a few days. Aeration is important because of the alcohol it's dissolved in causing a bacterial bloom.

My concern is that type of behavior is not what I've typically seen in my wrasses with flukes. Usually they are flashing(scratching on the sand).

How long has he been in the tank? Are any other fish acting unusual also?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I dosed at 6pm so I will add carbon tomorrow at 6pm! Should I throw back in the chemipure blue I already had in the sump or should I get a fresh one to ensure optimal adsorption???
If it’s fairly new it’s probably fine. If not, probably pick up a new one or a few since you will have to dose prazi again

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi is fine in the DT if you don't have any desired worms of any kind. As noted above, your skimmer will go crazy, sometimes for a few days. Aeration is important because of the alcohol it's dissolved in causing a bacterial bloom.

My concern is that type of behavior is not what I've typically seen in my wrasses with flukes. Usually they are flashing(scratching on the sand).

How long has he been in the tank? Are any other fish acting unusual also?

He's new I got him on the 16th and this is the first day he has been acting like this.
All other fish are acting completely normal.
Valentini puffer was removed on the 20th.

OP
OP
alimac122

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, little man just woke up and is swimming around the tank. Still acting funny. Occasionally twitching. Flashed against some rocks a couple times. Likes to be by the power heads (maybe he's itchy and likes the heavy flow?). But is swimming fine overall.

Did a small feed of garlic coated mysis and he seemed interested and followed the other fish around but did not eat any himself.
Saw him butt the window a couple times (think he's picking copepods but not certain).

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 73 78.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.6%
Back