Amphidinium Dinoflagellate Treatment Methods

aras

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was away for a few days and here is what I came back to... Certainly, some new life going on, none of it pretty... If somebody could id some of these that would be great. I only had large cell amphidinium as of about a week ago. Stopped NOPOX, current nitrate level 8, phosphate 0.1. Also stopped water changes and microelement dosing.

Sand
1.jpg

Rocks
2.jpg

This is stuff from the sand under a microscope (250x). This used to be only large cell amphidinium recently.
3.jpg

This is snotty stuff that appeared on some rocks (1000x). They are much smaller than my normal amphidinium and don't seem to move much.
4.jpg

This is the purple stuff (250x), I assume cyano.
5.jpg

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was away for a few days and here is what I came back to... Certainly, some new life going on, none of it pretty... If somebody could id some of these that would be great. I only had large cell amphidinium as of about a week ago. Stopped NOPOX, current nitrate level 8, phosphate 0.1. Also stopped water changes and microelement dosing.

Sand
1.jpg

Rocks
2.jpg

This is stuff from the sand under a microscope (250x). This used to be only large cell amphidinium recently.
3.jpg

This is snotty stuff that appeared on some rocks (1000x). They are much smaller than my normal amphidinium and don't seem to move much.
4.jpg

5.jpg
I only see a few dinos and lots of other stuff. That’s good.

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this diatom growth or something else?
Those are diatoms. squirmier than the ones I normally see, but yes diatoms move much faster than we expect.

Chrysophytes!

yes. cyano.

Shallow Planet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I would like to report back after about 3 months I think I am finally dino free! I had a bad case of amphidinium and [URL='https://www.reef2reef.com/search/3404245/?searchform=1&q=ostreopsis&t=post&o=relevance&c%5Buser%5D%5B0%5D=55449&c%5Buser%5D%5B1%5D=69455&c%5Bthread%5D=293318']ostreopsis that I confirmed under a microscope. I think identification is important to eliminate the guess work out of what you are doing.[/URL]

First, what did not work. DinoX. I believe this product might reduce their numbers or keep them in check, but I mostly believe this product to be a waste of time and money.

UV Sterilizer. I have mixed opinions on what this did or did not do. I cant prove much since I was doing other things at the same time. What I can say is that if I turned it off and forgot to turn it back on for more than 12 hours it seemed like the dinos flared up. When left running it seemed to almost maintain the current population and prevent as much spreading. All of this is just a guess tho.

What I believe worked and would recommend. BIOIDIVERSITY!!!
I think the biggest problem is our tanks start out too clean now days. I used dry rock and dry sand and let my nitrates and phosphates completely bottom out. I saw very little results until I maintained Nitrates at 5-10ppm(got as high as 25ppm) and phosphates at 0.2 ppm. Dosing Microbacteria7 and Silicates. Added a bunch of pods and dosed live phyto. Now it was not an overnight fix and I think too many give up because it doesn't fix the issue right away. I dosed both microbacteria7 and silicates for maybe 2 months until I got to the point I am at today.

I was constantly checking microscope samples and after a couple of weeks of dosing silicates I started noticing diatoms popping up. What I noticed was as their numbers grew the number of dinos started to go down. At one point it was almost all diatoms and a few dinos. Now its no dinos and the diatoms are starting to disappear as I have started cutting back on silicates.

Anyway I now have clean rock, clean glass, and bright white sand again. It is possible! Conquer this the natural way. It was frustrating along the way. I lost some inverts and coral, but I learned a lot. Hopefully my experience can help others get back control of their tanks.

If you have any questions just let me know.

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I would like to report back after about 3 months I think I am finally dino free! I had a bad case of amphidinium and [URL='https://www.reef2reef.com/search/3404245/?searchform=1&q=ostreopsis&t=post&o=relevance&c%5Buser%5D%5B0%5D=55449&c%5Buser%5D%5B1%5D=69455&c%5Bthread%5D=293318']ostreopsis that I confirmed under a microscope. I think identification is important to eliminate the guess work out of what you are doing.[/URL]

First, what did not work. DinoX. I believe this product might reduce their numbers or keep them in check, but I mostly believe this product to be a waste of time and money.

UV Sterilizer. I have mixed opinions on what this did or did not do. I cant prove much since I was doing other things at the same time. What I can say is that if I turned it off and forgot to turn it back on for more than 12 hours it seemed like the dinos flared up. When left running it seemed to almost maintain the current population and prevent as much spreading. All of this is just a guess tho.

What I believe worked and would recommend. BIOIDIVERSITY!!!
I think the biggest problem is our tanks start out too clean now days. I used dry rock and dry sand and let my nitrates and phosphates completely bottom out. I saw very little results until I maintained Nitrates at 5-10ppm(got as high as 25ppm) and phosphates at 0.2 ppm. Dosing Microbacteria7 and Silicates. Added a bunch of pods and dosed live phyto. Now it was not an overnight fix and I think too many give up because it doesn't fix the issue right away. I dosed both microbacteria7 and silicates for maybe 2 months until I got to the point I am at today.

I was constantly checking microscope samples and after a couple of weeks of dosing silicates I started noticing diatoms popping up. What I noticed was as their numbers grew the number of dinos started to go down. At one point it was almost all diatoms and a few dinos. Now its no dinos and the diatoms are starting to disappear as I have started cutting back on silicates.

Anyway I now have clean rock, clean glass, and bright white sand again. It is possible! Conquer this the natural way. It was frustrating along the way. I lost some inverts and coral, but I learned a lot. Hopefully my experience can help others get back control of their tanks.

If you have any questions just let me know.
Did you dose untill you had a diatom bloom then stop or just dose untill you saw no more dinos

Shallow Planet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you dose untill you had a diatom bloom then stop or just dose untill you saw no more dinos
Good question. I actually purchased a hanna silicate monitor. I kept dosing the entire time and was aiming to maintain 2ppm of silicates. However i only tested a couple of times and sort of figured out what the dose was to maintain.

David_Cool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shallow Planet, what did you use for dosing for silicates, and did you keep lighting up to increase competitive algae growth? I care for a saltwater tank at a college and we have small cell amphidinium. Unfortunately the budget they give me is pretty small so I can't just start buying things without a solid course of action and a good chance of positive results.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shallow Planet, what did you use for dosing for silicates, and did you keep lighting up to increase competitive algae growth? I care for a saltwater tank at a college and we have small cell amphidinium. Unfortunately the budget they give me is pretty small so I can't just start buying things without a solid course of action and a good chance of positive results.
Most of us used brightwells sponge excel. If you have a really large system, there are likely better options. Sorry, I’m not Shallow Planet, but welcome to R2R!

David_Cool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of us used brightwells sponge excel. If you have a really large system, there are likely better options. Sorry, I’m not Shallow Planet, but welcome to R2R!

Thanks! I went down the rabbit hole quite a ways and found an article that talked about it being safe to dose 1ppm every 1-2 weeks using a sodium silicate solution. We only have a 50 gallon tank and have sodium silicate on hand. Doing the math, I figured out how much I would need for a dose of .3ppm just to be on the safe side and to see if the existing diatoms react well to it. Luckily I have the Navicula diatoms that are mentioned in another part of this thread that exhibit allelopathic inhibition of dinos.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I went down the rabbit hole quite a ways and found an article that talked about it being safe to dose 1ppm every 1-2 weeks using a sodium silicate solution. We only have a 50 gallon tank and have sodium silicate on hand. Doing the math, I figured out how much I would need for a dose of .3ppm just to be on the safe side and to see if the existing diatoms react well to it. Luckily I have the Navicula diatoms that are mentioned in another part of this thread that exhibit allelopathic inhibition of dinos.
Sounds like you have what you need. They will likely consume lots of silicates, so lots of redosing will likely be required. I don’t know if you need a Si tester or not, but the Hanna gets good reviews.

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponge excell is what most of us start with, and hannah checker. Sailfert test are no good. I have a crazy diatom bloom happening g right now.. also dont have a test kit

David_Cool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponge excell is what most of us start with, and hannah checker. Sailfert test are no good. I have a crazy diatom bloom happening g right now.. also dont have a test kit
Do you have any issues with dinos? If so, what effect is the bloom having on them?

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any issues with dinos? If so, what effect is the bloom having on them?
I have little to no Dinos left in my sand bed, only diatoms. Diatoms totally outcompeted them, just letting it ride its course and will see if they return.

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So an update: I let my sanded enjoy the diatoms for a week. Tonight after lights out for a few hours I noticed it was becoming a bit stringing and the Dinos are starting to return, so I started back my silicate dosing to hopefully keep them at bay, however, from what I can see they are ostreopsis now and not small cell amphiduym. So maybe I have won the battle, but not the war.

David_Cool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So an update: I let my sanded enjoy the diatoms for a week. Tonight after lights out for a few hours I noticed it was becoming a bit stringing and the Dinos are starting to return, so I started back my silicate dosing to hopefully keep them at bay, however, from what I can see they are ostreopsis now and not small cell amphiduym. So maybe I have won the battle, but not the war.
Well crap! Isn't ostreopsis worse and more toxic?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back