Amphidinium Dinoflagellate Treatment Methods

Arthur_Dent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone care to weigh in on what flavor of dino I am dealing with here? Small cell or large cell?

20201204_183329.jpg

20201204_200345.jpg

20201204_183455.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone care to weigh in on what flavor of dino I am dealing with here? Small cell or large cell?

20201204_183329.jpg

20201204_200345.jpg

20201204_183455.jpg

Curved beak in first photo is a tell for LC Amphids.

You know it is getting rough out there when folks are shooting dino photos under heavy blues, through and orange filter, and photoshopping to saturate. :) Good photos. I could not get the video to play. I could hear some audio though.

Arthur_Dent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Scott! Will handle appropriately. And yeah, I can't snap a Pic without photoshop. Lol.

I'll re-upload the vid. Not sure what the issue is, but r2r doesn't seem to like footage straight off my phone.

Arthur_Dent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the videos in case anyone can benefit from them. Hopefully they work this time.

Jason_1982

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. totally possible without Si additions. Some just outcompete with close proximity algae. Some have had success with persistent export and other interventions. I'd personally use Si if I got them again, but not necessary.

This is the right philosophy, most amphidnium outbreaks are not harmful, and so attempts to treat it shouldn't be too aggressive. Export is a great primary tool.
To this point i am finding my small cell amph. Like the tips of sps corals causing them to recede. They may not be toxic but they kill my sps :(

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To this point i am finding my small cell amph. Like the tips of sps corals causing them to recede. They may not be toxic but they kill my sps
the mechanisms for how exactly direct dino contact kills corals is unknown. We assume toxins, but we don't know for sure, and other guesses seem less likely.
Amphidinium can be toxic, small cell has more reports of toxin-like effects than large.

BC1906

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the mechanisms for how exactly direct dino contact kills corals is unknown. We assume toxins, but we don't know for sure, and other guesses seem less likely.
Amphidinium can be toxic, small cell has more reports of toxin-like effects than large.
These small cell? Haven't really been able to get confident answer yet.

Attachments

• 20201028_190715.mp4
    22.8 MB
OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These small cell? Haven't really been able to get confident answer yet.
well since you asked for a confident answer. I can confidently tell you that neither of those are problem dinos.
The two in center having a tickle fight with their flagella might be something like a euglena. They have the shape-changing blobby-ness, but they lack the orange eyespot, so I don't think euglena is exactly right.
The other cigar shaped zooming flagellates are probably cryptomonas or similar.
No problem cells in that video. :)

BC1906

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well since you asked for a confident answer. I can confidently tell you that neither of those are problem dinos.
The two in center having a tickle fight with their flagella might be something like a euglena. They have the shape-changing blobby-ness, but they lack the orange eyespot, so I don't think euglena is exactly right.
The other cigar shaped zooming flagellates are probably cryptomonas or similar.
No problem cells in that video. :)
So would what you see be causing this? Makes it look like a mat of diatoms.

Attachments

• 20201217_193746.jpg
    20201217_193746.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 80
OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The previous video was from the brown patch on the sand? @BC1906

BC1906

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The previous video was from the brown patch on the sand? @BC1906
Yeah. Here's a new sample from about 30mins ago. I scooped up right where that patch is in the pic. I cut and trimmed a couple of vids in this one that shows some differently things I saw.

Attachments

• YouCut_20201217_215007031.mp4
    21.8 MB
OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a new sample from about 30mins ago. I scooped up right where that patch is in the pic.
Now we're cooking.
Large cell amphidinium. A few other things here and there. But mostly those.

BC1906

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now we're cooking.
Large cell amphidinium. A few other things here and there. But mostly those.

Thank you very much! I did my first dose of silica last week so hopefully that will start to help. I appreciate your help!

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bit of a double dip between and the main Dino thread.

I've been sharing a 120g apartment with Large Cell for a couple of weeks now. So far I've been dosing nutrients and keeping NO3 around 10 and PO4 about 0.1-0.14 with daily dosing. I'm getting a ton of hair algea on the rock work, have to brush it off weekly and then empty the clogged floss cups. So I have brown crud on the sand (dinos) and hair algea all over the rocks which leaves the tank looking like a metaphor for 2020.

So, to get to the point, I have silica coming today so I'll start dosing that, but as far as hair algea... Do I just "suck it up, buttercup" and just keep dosing nutrients and keep brushing the stuff off every week? Do I slow down the dosing, since nutrients are obviously available since this stuff grows back like weeds.

I've got 6 golf ball sized turbos which love the stuff, but theyve been mostly eating off the back glass and leave the rock work alone... I've gone as far as plucking them off the back and transplanting them to the rocks, only to find them back in their spot within hours. And when they do eat it, they can't keep up it seems... I don't see them move during the day, they just sit in the corner..... Not sure if they don't wanna touch it because of dinos... But I don't really see any dinos on the GHA, just the sandbed.

Halp? Lol

20201218_161105.jpg

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit of a double dip between and the main Dino thread.

I've been sharing a 120g apartment with Large Cell for a couple of weeks now. So far I've been dosing nutrients and keeping NO3 around 10 and PO4 about 0.1-0.14 with daily dosing. I'm getting a ton of hair algea on the rock work, have to brush it off weekly and then empty the clogged floss cups. So I have brown crud on the sand (dinos) and hair algea all over the rocks which leaves the tank looking like a metaphor for 2020.

So, to get to the point, I have silica coming today so I'll start dosing that, but as far as hair algea... Do I just "suck it up, buttercup" and just keep dosing nutrients and keep brushing the stuff off every week? Do I slow down the dosing, since nutrients are obviously available since this stuff grows back like weeds.

I've got 6 golf ball sized turbos which love the stuff, but theyve been mostly eating off the back glass and leave the rock work alone... I've gone as far as plucking them off the back and transplanting them to the rocks, only to find them back in their spot within hours. And when they do eat it, they can't keep up it seems... I don't see them move during the day, they just sit in the corner..... Not sure if they don't wanna touch it because of dinos... But I don't really see any dinos on the GHA, just the sandbed.

Halp? Lol

20201218_161105.jpg
Silica will help. I my case that was a breakthrough in the fighting. Good luck with your fight

Last edited:
OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Herbivores will try to avoid Foods if distasteful microalgae is growing as epiphyte on it. Also one of the pretty widespread responses to toxins in many invertebrates is that grazing slows way down or stops.

So for a little while you may need to export the GHA manually.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Herbivores will try to avoid Foods if distasteful microalgae is growing as epiphyte on it. Also one of the pretty widespread responses to toxins in many invertebrates is that grazing slows way down or stops.

So for a little while you may need to export the GHA manually.

Got it. OK, back to brushing. I'm assuming I need to continue dosing no3/PO4 along with silicates?

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. Bottoming out PO4 and NO3 prevents the system from moving out of the dino phase.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, I got my Hanna Silica LR in and to my surprise my source water is 0.34ppm silica (took 2 readings 0.37 and 0.31). Tank reading 0.20-0.21. Which would explain the abundance of sponges in my sump.

That being said what are good alternatives (within $ reason) for Si test kits? Talking to Hanna, they don't advise using their kit on saltwater and can't guarantee the accuracy of the result. What is everyone using?

Rodi (6 stage) is showing 0 TDS, DI still looks "OK", but I'm wondering if I need to change all the filters once LC have cleared...all the filters and membranes are just over a year old, DI changed every few months.

Goong to start dosing Sponge Excel at 0.1ppm/day and see how things go.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back