taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also @bh750
You said you are noting increased pod presence. See if you can tell what sorts of critters are active in and at the margins of the dino patches. Some are definitely more willing to consume dinos than others.

For me: isopods, amphipods, tanaids are what grazed on our at edges of dino patch.

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...and to a lesser extent, a large cerith ate some too.
I shouldn't say that. The cerith was moving his mouth in the same area where amphidinium dinos were, but I never saw any ingestion. So I shouldn't say I saw something I didn't actually observe.

Javamahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also @bh750
You said you are noting increased pod presence. See if you can tell what sorts of critters are active in and at the margins of the dino patches. Some are definitely more willing to consume dinos than others.

For me: isopods, amphipods, tanaids are what grazed on our at edges of dino patch.
Taricha what product are you using to add pods specifically those wonderful tanaids. I want an army of those lil critters

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. My conch was great at clearing patches of the brown dinos coating the sand grains, and to a lesser extent, a large cerith ate some too.

Amazing breakthrough (at least for me). So excited. I have two of them and had this hunch they might be responsible for some of the damage to my Dinos.

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also @bh750

Sorry, I've never actually seen them on my sand or inspected under my scope. I just see them all over my fuge(s), in chaeto, sump. I also now have two fish that survive 100% on them (theyve never eaten anything I feed the tank).

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a couple of live rocks labeled "Caribbean" years ago.
Almost all my cool hitchhikers - baby urchin, tanaids, chitons that graze the film algae only under the sand, a kind of pistol shrimp that lives entire life in a groove in the rock - came from these three live rocks.
Probably dinos too, but whatever.
You can order gammarus shrimp (amphipods) a few places. Or just buy a bag of chaeto from another hobbyist, and ask if it comes with amphipods in it.
Taricha what product are you using to add pods specifically those wonderful tanaids. I want an army of those lil critters

piehunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this is Amphidinium due to its movements although would love a second opinion
Thanks

piehunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got myself a bottle of Spongexcel so ready to give it a go

Current results : 40 to 50 ppm No3
0.50 ppm Po4
0 ppm Silicates

I have the sandbed removed and the dinos is only on the rocks

Are them test results perfect for nutrients in the system ?

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of nutrients.
Got myself a bottle of Spongexcel so ready to give it a go

Current results : 40 to 50 ppm No3
0.50 ppm Po4
0 ppm Silicates

I have the sandbed removed and the dinos is only on the rocks

Are them test results perfect for nutrients in the system ?

piehunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
32349596_10211237570955836_6898298440422260736_n.jpg

Mine sticks to the rocks oddly .. nice cocktail of cyano and gha :)

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was to blast the rocks off can UV kill the cells that go through it or not ?

It would kill anything that stayed suspended and went through UV.

Waterbourn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

piehunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

piehunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been dosing silicates for the past week or more and haven’t seen a full on diatom bloom yet although dinos are reducing vastly and not returning like usual when I blow rocks of forcing them into the UV .. Could I maybe be turning a corner and need to maybe up the dose and outcompete the dinos instead of essentially pausing them so to say

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Same here, I’ve been dosing for two weeks and have not seen any diatoms. I increased my dosage of silica but still nothing.

piehunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, I’ve been dosing for two weeks and have not seen any diatoms. I increased my dosage of silica but still nothing.

Have you noticed that your dinos have reduced or is everything just like it was ?

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have you noticed that your dinos have reduced or is everything just like it was ?

It looks like all my Dino’s on the sand are staying the same. I’m dozing about 50 drops of silica in my 180g. Not getting any Diatoms and also not getting any readings of silica when I use the test kit (salifert). Might need to get a Hanna like everyone said to really see how much silica I have. Salifert has been reading 0. Marinedepot sent me a replacement test kit and I’m still getting a reading of 0. Possibly my brightwell silica is a bad batch and not doing anything?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 84.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back