Anyone using Dr. Sochting's Oxydator

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically, its a slow dose of h202 depending on how many catalystis are producing gas to push out the h202 from the bottom. Then the h202 is broken down in the water column.
Not quite. Sure the peroxide is pushed out but as it leaves the plexiglass container due to the action of the catalysts breaking it down and pressuring much of the rest of the peroxide the existing peroxide is broken down by the ceramic beaker or in the case of the smaller Oxydators the ceramic base. Some peroxide will still exit the Oxydator depending on the % of peroxide used along with the number of catalysts. The % of peroxide used is an important factor.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I've been using the 3% peroxide in my w model oxidator with 4 catalyst in my 120 gallon tank with a 55 gallon sump as I was having trouble getting 6% or 12%. I finally found some 12% food grade gallons and they should be here by next week. My total water volume is probably around 110 gallons. I plan to dilute it down to 6%. My question is, at 6%, should I be running 2 or 3 catalyst in my w model? Thanks for the advice as always!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I've been using the 3% peroxide in my w model oxidator with 4 catalyst in my 120 gallon tank with a 55 gallon sump as I was having trouble getting 6% or 12%. I finally found some 12% food grade gallons and they should be here by next week. My total water volume is probably around 110 gallons. I plan to dilute it down to 6%. My question is, at 6%, should I be running 2 or 3 catalyst in my w model? Thanks for the advice as always!
I think 'it depends'. I have a 140 gallon (total) tank - I use 2 catalysts and 12 percent. It works well. I would try 6 percent - if all is good - then you can try the 12. I used to dilute with with RODI to 6 percent

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you also have a w? If you do, how long does the 12% last before needing to be refilled? I'm just trying to get the most use out of the 12% because it's difficult for me to get it and the longer I can stretch it out the better!

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think 'it depends'. I have a 140 gallon (total) tank - I use 2 catalysts and 12 percent. It works well. I would try 6 percent - if all is good - then you can try the 12. I used to dilute with with RODI to 6 percent
Do you also have a w model?

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oxydator Fans - I have a 600 liter (150 gal) reef setup. Do I need the "W" model or the "A" model? Some sites say the A model is rated for only up to 400 litres, but other sites include a picture of the box which says it is appropriate for up to 800 liters? When I read the Oxydator.de website, they say the A is only good for up to 400 litres (however, the box in the pictures has it labelled, again, for up to 800 litres). Please advise.

If I add a catalyst to the A (and use 2 or 3) instead of 1, is that equivalent to owning the W model? I imagine I would have to replace the hydrogen peroxide more frequently, but concerned that the W may be too large. Thoughts?

I will buy one of these immediately, if I can get some clarification on the specs on these models.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oxydator Fans - I have a 600 liter (150 gal) reef setup. Do I need the "W" model or the "A" model? Some sites say the A model is rated for only up to 400 litres, but other sites include a picture of the box which says it is appropriate for up to 800 liters? When I read the Oxydator.de website, they say the A is only good for up to 400 litres (however, the box in the pictures has it labelled, again, for up to 800 litres). Please advise.

If I add a catalyst to the A (and use 2 or 3) instead of 1, is that equivalent to owning the W model? I imagine I would have to replace the hydrogen peroxide more frequently, but concerned that the W may be too large. Thoughts?

I will buy one of these immediately, if I can get some clarification on the specs on these models.
If you can accommodate it then use the model W with 12% peroxide and at least 2 catalysts but 3 or even 4 might be more appropriate with a heavily stocked and fed tank.
You can use the model A using 12% and a similar number of catalysts. With 2 catalysts in the A you will find the peroxide will last approximately a week. I run an A in my 115g using 12% and 2 catalysts, I don't have room in my sump for the W model.
BTW there is an Oxydator user group on facebook with lots if information on Oxydator's well worth checking out esp the files section.

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
If you can accommodate it then use the model W with 12% peroxide and at least 2 catalysts but 3 or even 4 might be more appropriate with a heavily stocked and fed tank.
You can use the model A using 12% and a similar number of catalysts. With 2 catalysts in the A you will find the peroxide will last approximately a week. I run an A in my 115g using 12% and 2 catalysts, I don't have room in my sump for the W model.
BTW there is an Oxydator user group on facebook with lots if information on Oxydator's well worth checking out esp the files section.
I thought I heard it was better to put the oxydator in the aquarium and not in the sump. Make any difference in O2 levels if I keep it in the sump? Don't know the W size but I'll find out.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

I thought I heard it was better to put the oxydator in the aquarium and not in the sump. Make any difference in O2 levels if I keep it in the sump? Don't know the W size but I'll find out.
Yes better in the DT but they wirk fine in the sump. I have mine ight next to the return pump in my sump. Most people prefer to put them in the sump out of sight there.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The drawback with having them in the sump is that if you lose power - the oxydator will not save your livestock if you do not move it up.

But of cause - I have mine in the sump too :D:D

Sincerely Lasse
Yes Lasse, I forgot that point so thank you for pointing it out. In the event of a power loss the Oxydator could always be moved into the DT perhaps with some rearranging of reef work to accommodate it.

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phew, I have read every page on this thread over the last 3 days and enjoyed it very much.

I have a system I started from 2007 that is 280 gallon (240-50 gallons with displacement) (see my thread for more details if you like).
Main nutrient export and cycling is 2x ATS that sit above my DT, with water fed from my DT.
I have a UVC fed from the sump to DT on a dedicated S1 pump and it has definitely improved water clarity.
I use a skimmer but the skimmate is not collected. This is for oxygen exchange and emergency nutrient export. Air is fed to the skimmer from outside the house.

After reading this thread and numerous other shared experiences on the web, I will be implementing the W model as I have the space in my sump. I have ordered the W model and the special liquid at 12% (same one as @atoll).

My question is this, where in the 3-compartment sump will be the best location? (The Return pump is in the 3rd compartment.)
Options I have are:
1-in the first compartment where the skimmer is. It can go just behind the skimmer.
2-in the second compartment just after the skimmer.
3-in the second compartment just before the 3rd compartment.
*the middle compartment is split by two pumps that sits in the middle - (a L1 for my closed loop and a S1 pump that feeds the UVC).

I have also applied to join the FB Oxydator group as GazuntaiReef.

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

Dx

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phew, I have read every page on this thread over the last 3 days and enjoyed it very much.

I have a system I started from 2007 that is 280 gallon (240-50 gallons with displacement) (see my thread for more details if you like).
Main nutrient export and cycling is 2x ATS that sit above my DT, with water fed from my DT.
I have a UVC fed from the sump to DT on a dedicated S1 pump and it has definitely improved water clarity.
I use a skimmer but the skimmate is not collected. This is for oxygen exchange and emergency nutrient export. Air is fed to the skimmer from outside the house.

After reading this thread and numerous other shared experiences on the web, I will be implementing the W model as I have the space in my sump. I have ordered the W model and the special liquid at 12% (same one as @atoll).

My question is this, where in the 3-compartment sump will be the best location? (The Return pump is in the 3rd compartment.)
Options I have are:
1-in the first compartment where the skimmer is. It can go just behind the skimmer.
2-in the second compartment just after the skimmer.
3-in the second compartment just before the 3rd compartment.
*the middle compartment is split by two pumps that sits in the middle - (a L1 for my closed loop and a S1 pump that feeds the UVC).

I have also applied to join the FB Oxydator group as GazuntaiReef.

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

Dx

I use an A and a D in approx 125 G water volume, the D is in the sump by my skimmer inlet like poor man's ozone?!

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an A and a D in approx 125 G water volume, the D is in the sump by my skimmer inlet like poor man's ozone?!

For your skimmer, do you collect the skimmate?

If I have the Oxydator in option 1 and 2, the S1 pump that feeds my UVC will collect that the Oxydator produces. Is this a good/bad/indifferent?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go option 1, I have never read about how it reacts with UV, I collect if my engineer goby is very busy or just release to my refugium with flow in the skimmer up.

DSC_0017 (1024x683).jpg

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can´t get any information about the technology of their lamps. However they are probably low or medium pressure mercury lamps and those lamps is very effective to catalyst the breakdown of hydrogen peroxide.

As I see it - you have two options - either in the second or the third section. If you place it in the second - you will have very little uncatalyzed H2O2 in the tank water. Sometimes it could be a advantage and sometimes a disadvantage - IMO.

If you want an effective spread of active oxygen radicals in the aquarium - it is an advantage that the catalysis happens in the DT water - not in a tube. If you want 150 % effectiveness of your UVC light - its good with instant production of the radicals in the tube - IMO. By the way - you do not need to clean your UV-C if you use peroxide :D

Sincerely Lasse

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back