Apex Salinity Probe not calibrating....

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think there is a glass sleeve inside the probe that probably broke. All the salinity electrodes consist of two platinum electrodes a specific distance apart from each other. The current flow between these two electrodes is what is measured to get the conductivity of the water. Basically the resistance of the water. The more salts and stuff the more conductive it is. Air bubbles accumulating on or between the electrodes, critters or other substances getting between the electrodes will affect the readings. Also any stray voltages in the water will also affect this reading. These issues will always be an issue with a conductivity probe. Changing where it is placed in the system may be all that is needed to get more consistent readings. That being said I would not use it to control anything. You never know when a air bubble will accumulate or some small critter will decide to hide up in the probe causing a reading shift.
Maybe they can send me a new sleeve. There was a little glass on the floor. I did move it around the sump. With all brand new equipment I hope I don’t have stray voltage. I’ll see what they say. Thanks

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s frustrating I know just stick with it and don’t give up. Took me many searches on this site and Neptune’s, many videos until I found the one advice that actually works for the 2016 model. I also found through searches and trial and error was my probe got too many bubbles from where I placed it. Since my only option is HOB I had to rig an extra filter as a overflow for the probes just to keep bubbles out. Since. Did this and calibrated as mentioned above, no issues.

Mjminino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% crap that this is even remotely happening on an 800$ system

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
resurecting this one... i am done trying to calibrate with solution... i have a hanna hand held and a refractometer.. i use those to check my water.. when they confirm 1.025 or 1.026 i manually calibrate and calibrate in tank water and do not pull it out... I toy around with the temp comp adjust and get it to match my hanna and refractometer.. I do not even trust it to show me a patterns.. was out of town and got message it went up to 47... sent mother in law to the house to find out.. the water level was fine. top off fine ect.. Do not recommend this probe..

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibrating the salinity probe is horrible. It won't even calibrate past step 2 when probe is completely dry (and yes I have watched the videos). I will only use this for trends. My refractrometer calibrated my tank at 35. I will just subtract 9 because apex believes it's 44 ???

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have explained countless times how to calibrate them. Make sure its dry for a few hours, even 24h if you want to be sure. If I can recall correctly its only one solution you need to calibrate on. So when it's dry and it shows you need to put it in the calibration fluid, make sure the calibration fluid is on aquariumwater temperature. Cut a small corner of the calibration fluid bag, put the probe and push out most of the air. Then use tape so you can hold the calibration fluid upside down so all air can go out of the probe. Wiggle it (without hitting something) so all air is out and it will calibrate easily.
When placing in the sump, same thing. Keep it UPSIDE DOWN so bubbles can escape.

After doing these steps, salinity probe shows stable results for years.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have explained countless times how to calibrate them. Make sure its dry for a few hours, even 24h if you want to be sure. If I can recall correctly its only one solution you need to calibrate on. So when it's dry and it shows you need to put it in the calibration fluid, make sure the calibration fluid is on aquariumwater temperature. Cut a small corner of the calibration fluid bag, put the probe and push out most of the air. Then use tape so you can hold the calibration fluid upside down so all air can go out of the probe. Wiggle it (without hitting something) so all air is out and it will calibrate easily.
When placing in the sump, same thing. Keep it UPSIDE DOWN so bubbles can escape.

After doing these steps, salinity probe shows stable results for years.

Been there done that. Maybe 3rd time is a charm.

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there done that. Maybe 3rd time is a charm.
Make sure you have no cables crossing the salinity probe and PH probe cables. Because it can also be external (electrical) interference. But if you checked those things, it should work. It needs to be dry and clean for some time before starting calibration. I also failed at first but after doing it upside down it worked and got stable readings of 34 and going up and down when salinity changes. If it shows 44 I think you had a bubble during calibration. I remember a similar value.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try again tomorrow. Good thing I saved the calibration packet and will put it in a zip lock bag. crap that they charge 10 dollars a packet and they only send one with the unit! Same for the ph calibration fluid. I think the liquid probably costs 2 cents.

Mkeller088

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I do when calibrating and it works every time. I do it every 3-4 months when the probe goes crazy!

With my trusty Red Sea refractometer, that I’ve used since I started, I wait until the tank salinity is at 35ppm.

I then follow all of steps on ‘manual’ calibration but when it gets to the stage of putting the probe in the calibration solution, it goes into its bracket in the tank water, and then leave it for a few minutes and then finish the calibration. And then it stays in line with my refractometer.

This works every time, as I just couldn’t get an accurate reading using the solution.
I’ve been fighting this for hours. I tried your method, and it’s dead on. Thank you. The cal solution just won’t work.

Mkeller088

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I do when calibrating and it works every time. I do it every 3-4 months when the probe goes crazy!

With my trusty Red Sea refractometer, that I’ve used since I started, I wait until the tank salinity is at 35ppm.

I then follow all of steps on ‘manual’ calibration but when it gets to the stage of putting the probe in the calibration solution, it goes into its bracket in the tank water, and then leave it for a few minutes and then finish the calibration. And then it stays in line with my refractometer.

This works every time, as I just couldn’t get an accurate reading using the solution.
After hours of wasted time, your method put me spot on. 34.9 apex, 34.9 Hanna. I’m good, thank you

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back