Bare concrete in fish room?

Jasper05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the word "room" loosely. Its a 16 x 4 ft wide unfinished section of my basement with a sump pit at the end. Finished room is on the other side of the wall. Planning an in wall tank (40 breeder). 20 gallon sump and 30 gallon refugium as well.

Right now the floor is painted (latex). In a flooding scenario would the floor be fine as is? I know best practice would be to epoxy the floor, but then I'd have to strip the paint, acid wash the floor, then use epoxy. I'm worried about ventilation and the boiler is not too far away as well. Thoughts?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the condition of the floor paint and type it might be ok. The first issue you will have is if you need to scrub the floor. Certain latex paints will come off. Most latex enamels that are made for floors should be ok.
I would use a wet dry for big spills.

OP
OP
J

Jasper05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the condition of the floor paint and type it might be ok. The first issue you will have is if you need to scrub the floor. Certain latex paints will come off. Most latex enamels that are made for floors should be ok.
I would use a wet dry for big spills.
Well this paint is already flaking off. Especially where water was sitting at one point

OP
OP
J

Jasper05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can strip it they do make concrete sealers and a 2 part epoxy like finish that does not require acid washing. Primer then coating.
Something like this
Thanks I'll check this out. I guess my other option would to be grind the floor. I do have a concrete wheel for an angle grinder. Not sure if it would take forever to do by hand, as opppsed to renting one of those machines. Only about 65 square feet though. The other concern is how much those wheels would take off. Can i go light or would I be left with a bumpy surface? I can test out in a corner of the basement or something.

OP
OP
J

Jasper05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lapin provided what I was thinking. On the other hand maybe throwing down a waterproof vinyl or laminate floor?
Yeah I threw that idea around in my head. I do have luxury vinyl planks leftover from another project (not enough though) If there was a sitting water scenario I believe water could still get through those cracks. I always wondered when people put vinyl flooring down for their tanks... Are they siliconung the perimeter? Id have to imagine water can get underneath as well.

Not sure if I would want a floor transition either, but it would be minimal

U

User1

View Badges
Yeah I threw that idea around in my head. I do have luxury vinyl planks leftover from another project (not enough though) If there was a sitting water scenario I believe water could still get through those cracks. I always wondered when people put vinyl flooring down for their tanks... Are they siliconung the perimeter? Id have to imagine water can get underneath as well.

Not sure if I would want a floor transition either, but it would be minimal

Yeah - I would think they would be doing something or at least I would. Vinyl would be an option like the old 70's flooring such that they just roll it out :D

nickman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on my experience, whatever you plan on doing, do the whole floor from the start. I used a one part epoxy floor paint and it was flaking within 3 years at the edges due to spills. This was on brand new concrete. While the paint may not hold up perfectly in the long run it will at least protect the concrete from the corrosive effects of saltwater.

I would also strongly encourage you to isolate the fish room from the rest of your basement by creating a waterproof barrier at the wall. This will help contain any major spills which is really just a matter or "when" and not "if" in my fish keeping career. I used hardy board/concrete backer board painted with the same paint as the floor and sealed the bottom seam with silicone. It saved me from wet carpet more than once while my tank was running.

OP
OP
J

Jasper05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on my experience, whatever you plan on doing, do the whole floor from the start. I used a one part epoxy floor paint and it was flaking within 3 years at the edges due to spills. This was on brand new concrete. While the paint may not hold up perfectly in the long run it will at least protect the concrete from the corrosive effects of saltwater.

I would also strongly encourage you to isolate the fish room from the rest of your basement by creating a waterproof barrier at the wall. This will help contain any major spills which is really just a matter or "when" and not "if" in my fish keeping career. I used hardy board/concrete backer board painted with the same paint as the floor and sealed the bottom seam with silicone. It saved me from wet carpet more than once while my tank was running.
Thanks for the input.

Did you prep the floor before painting? (Etching/grinding)

I'm definitely going to water proof the wall that borders the finished part of the basement. Going to tear down existing unfinished drywall (easier for electric too). Not going to use cement board - dont want to paint over it or tile the whole wall.

Plan is to use green board. Then use a waterproof membrane (kerdi) about 6 inches up. Then i will tile maybe a foot up the wall. I cant imagine standing water going up over 6 inches. Then I'll have 6 more inches for splashes. I have a sump pit that should make quick work of any major flooding scenario. The rest of the wall will be with paint that will be able to handle some splashing (type is TBD). I'm going to silicone the bottom as you suggest.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to home depot and rent a diamond brushed floor polisher. It will remove any paint quickly and scratch the floor so u can epoxy. $70 for like a day rental. U could do a few hour rental.

I used "restoreagarage" or something like that epoxy, two part, mail order only Very nice very durable. The concrete will come up before the epoxy.Check out my build thread theres a photo in there of the before and after.

Eyching helps a lot too, i used this:

Screenshot_20201218-225818_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Wet floor, open windows, dump on full strength, spread with broom, let sit for a few minutes, get wet again and wet dry up. Pretty simple.

Last edited:

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I endorse this message very much. I silicone sealed my bottom sil plate with silicone, then ran my latex painted plywood walls down to the floor. Then sealed edges with silicone. Then added a baseboard, latex painted, then sealed that. I also didn’t cut my sill plate at the door way, so I have a 1.5” sealed rim around the whole floor. With the footprint, that would contain 96 gallons, and my sump runs at 73. So in theory I could have a total sump failure and not know it until I walked into a puddle in my fishroom.

I did drop a 5 g bucket one time and it all splashed against the bottom of the wall and there was no evidence of it happening outside the room

nickman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input.

Did you prep the floor before painting? (Etching/grinding)

I'm definitely going to water proof the wall that borders the finished part of the basement. Going to tear down existing unfinished drywall (easier for electric too). Not going to use cement board - dont want to paint over it or tile the whole wall.

Plan is to use green board. Then use a waterproof membrane (kerdi) about 6 inches up. Then i will tile maybe a foot up the wall. I cant imagine standing water going up over 6 inches. Then I'll have 6 more inches for splashes. I have a sump pit that should make quick work of any major flooding scenario. The rest of the wall will be with paint that will be able to handle some splashing (type is TBD). I'm going to silicone the bottom as you suggest.
I did not prep the floor as it was literally brand new concrete, had only been walked on a few times before the epoxy was laid down. In any other scenario I would etch to ensure proper adhesion.
The flaking was only an issue at the edges as the saltwater soaked into the floor and was able to attack the epoxy from underneath. I was lazy and didnt epoxy the whole floor immediately as the room was full of gear and a temporary system holding all of my livestock and tanks curing dry rock while the display was being built out. Never underestimate the power of projects that are more fun than completely emptying an entire room and painting the floor ;)

The wall covering doesn't matter provided you can effectively seal the surface and the seam between it and the floor. Just remember to seal the floor and wall first as the paint/epoxy will likely NOT stick to the silicone if you apply that first.

nickman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I endorse this message very much. I silicone sealed my bottom sil plate with silicone, then ran my latex painted plywood walls down to the floor. Then sealed edges with silicone. Then added a baseboard, latex painted, then sealed that. I also didn’t cut my sill plate at the door way, so I have a 1.5” sealed rim around the whole floor. With the footprint, that would contain 96 gallons, and my sump runs at 73. So in theory I could have a total sump failure and not know it until I walked into a puddle in my fishroom.

I did drop a 5 g bucket one time and it all splashed against the bottom of the wall and there was no evidence of it happening outside the room
Neil, you went all out on containment! I need to do this on my next build as I have a long track record of spills, floods, ect. Mainly running my RODI without a float valve. To illustrate my point, I used to routinely overfill my RODI reservoir in college. I easily convinced my roommate to split a wet/dry vac with me instead of buying a regular vacuum. That was less of a issue when I didnt live on the first floor, then it was more of a problem for my downstairs neighbor. lol

BigRed78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do fire water restoration for a living. The concrete will be fine in a flood. If it sits for a long time it may stain the paint a bit but that’s all. Also in my experience the waterproof vinyl floor really doesn’t work. Although it may not buckle like wood it still creates issues when it gets flooded. Water gets trapped under it and creates mold issues because it never dries.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jasper05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do fire water restoration for a living. The concrete will be fine in a flood. If it sits for a long time it may stain the paint a bit but that’s all. Also in my experience the waterproof vinyl floor really doesn’t work. Although it may not buckle like wood it still creates issues when it gets flooded. Water gets trapped under it and creates mold issues because it never dries.
I can attest to this. In a non-fish related matter, our power went out late Christmas eve/early morning (luckily I borrowed a generator later in the day). Because of all the rain and melted snow, we had water come in (where the proposed fish room is). That water leaked into the finished area and under all the vinyl planks. My understanding is if the water is on top of the planks that's fine. It's when the water goes under.

I spent my Christmas taking the furniture out and removing all the planks. Thankfully they came up very easy. The floor is still drying out underneath.

I'm in the process of getting a inverter/charger and battery back up for the sump pump (not cheap! I could be buying an Apex and more). Also picking up a generator. Need to seal the walls as well. Can't let this happen again. I've been plagued with water issues the last few years (failed sump pump when I moved in. Driveway redone and contractor sloped towards house). In am rethinking if I even want a tank down there.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are making way to much out of this unless you just like to build (like I do)

I epoxied a few floors like mine here over cement and that is nice, but overkill especially in a small unused "closet" like you are building. (That is not me there)

It may be a good idea to change the inside sheetrock to green board and put a coat of something like "Thompsons Water Seal" on it.
(I used that in my last house where my 100 gallon tank was in a small closet for 40 years and nothing happened to the sheetrock).

I would definitely make sure there was a grill or some way the water can go into your sump in case of a catastrophic failure and I would most certainly install an exhaust fan in that room that runs all the time. (Also what I did) Or you will grow grass in there.
Leave the floor as it is or sand it if you don't like the look. If you want to make it look a little better put vinyl tile in there. Very cheap, easy to install and the water won't hurt it. It will also make spills easier to clean up and dead fish easier to find. If you do that, put a vinyl sealer over it before you install the tank. Good Luck

OP
OP
J

Jasper05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are making way to much out of this unless you just like to build (like I do)

I epoxied a few floors like mine here over cement and that is nice, but overkill especially in a small unused "closet" like you are building. (That is not me there)

It may be a good idea to change the inside sheetrock to green board and put a coat of something like "Thompsons Water Seal" on it.
(I used that in my last house where my 100 gallon tank was in a small closet for 40 years and nothing happened to the sheetrock).

I would definitely make sure there was a grill or some way the water can go into your sump in case of a catastrophic failure and I would most certainly install an exhaust fan in that room that runs all the time. (Also what I did) Or you will grow grass in there.
Leave the floor as it is or sand it if you don't like the look. If you want to make it look a little better put vinyl tile in there. Very cheap, easy to install and the water won't hurt it. It will also make spills easier to clean up and dead fish easier to find. If you do that, put a vinyl sealer over it before you install the tank. Good Luck

Thanks for your input. Yeah honestly I don't care much about the floors. I just wanted to make sure I wouldnt damage them if there is a flood. If they are fine the way they are, less work for me! My big concern however is water leaking into the finished room.

In regards to a fan, I thought about an inlone fan on Amazon. There is a boiler near by. Is Negative pressure a concern? I dont know anything about the topic.

And yes, I do enjoy building! Room is pictured below for reference.
0411201343.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back