Basement set-ups! Show and tell time!!!!

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by Justin84, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Justin84

Justin84 Active Member

For those that have the luxury of setting up their filtration (refugiums, sumps, and equipment) in their basement, what does it look like? How do you accomplish your water changes? What type of equipment or methods do you use to make your reefing experience more enjoyable? Ive scoured youtube a 100 times over to get ideas, or adapt my own to successful ones but I'd like to see what you guys have! Friday I'm about to install a new utility sink with a laundry pump to make my water changes and equipment cleaning so much easier! No more vinegar baths and stinky protein skimmer cups in my kitchen!!! :D

Flippers4pups, doc_b and joseserrano like this.

2. JimFuller

JimFuller Active Member

Well, This is just the start. An RO/DI water Station with two 70 Gallon tanks and the space for the Sump Stand under the RO/DI unit. Planning to plumb the current 75 Gallon tank in the living room down here and the new Office tank to here. It should improve water changes and maintenance.
    20170902_134326.jpg

3. Justin84

Justin84 Active Member

I like it! I have 2 55 gal containers next to my refugium and sump area along with 2 brute containers for ATO and fresh water storage! I'll have to post some pics a little later tonite!

Flippers4pups likes this.
  4. Dan McNertney

Dan McNertney Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Dont have a show now but I can tell.
    In my basement, I have two 55 gallon trashcans. I use a 5 stage RO/DI by Spectrapure to make my water. One can is for salt and another is for fresh. Each can has a heater and power head which are always on. My tank sits on the first floor. I have a drain and return that goes to nd from my fish room to the basement. I use float valves on each can to automate the water making so I dont have to monitor it. Fairly standard setup I'd say.

doc_b and Justin84 like this.
  5. FugeTown

FugeTown Well-Known Member

It's nothing fancy but here's my 40 gal breeder of course in the basement which is filtered by a hob skimmer with the air inlet tube ran outside and a 4bulb t5 fixture. I used to have a fuge tank below with chaeto but got sick and tired of my overflow screwing up so now I keep it simple. IMG_2045.JPG

doc_b and Justin84 like this.
  6. Fudsey

Fudsey Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Just got this running a couple days ago. It's a 40B sump and my RODI and mixing station is right there as well. Only problem is I have no sink in my basement :(

Sump7.jpg

doc_b, Kent12456 and Justin84 like this.
  7. ithk21620

ithk21620 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Flippers4pups, doc_b and Justin84 like this.
  8. Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis Well-Known Member

Not to shabby

IMG_7807.JPG

9. Justin84

Justin84 Active Member

Well today I am going to try and redo some plumbing to allow a greater turnover rate in my tank. I had a 40g breeder laying around that I had my LFS drill for some drains and I'm going to turn it into my frag tank (for when I actually decide to put coral in it) I may start a build thread considering this has been a 2+ year project of constant tinkering and I have several pics and videos I've taken over the past 2 years... I'll try and post some pics later today! Thanks everyone so far for the cool pics and sharing of your set-ups! Keep em coming! ;)

Flippers4pups and doc_b like this.
  10. joporeefpro

joporeefpro Well-Known Member

My fuge and sump right after it was put together while it was clean neat and organized. I could use to do some cleaning down there now...
    IMG_1011.JPG

IMG_1012.JPG

Elder1945, Justin84 and Flippers4pups like this.
  11. Flippers4pups

Flippers4pups Flipping it since 93 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

12. SteadyC

SteadyC Well-Known Member

Basement sump, filtration, dosing, etc. setup. Let me know if you have any questions. Drain line comes in from left, through ATS, then chaeto and sand area with couple of new mangroves, ceramic biomedia and live rock, protein skimmer, two heaters, then two DC return pumps plumbed inline with one pump in the sump and then one external Sicce 9.0 on the right, through the manifold with one line going to GAC. Additionally, the Apex and modules on the wall, cable management on the right shelf with fan (cheap chiller) up higher, and small first line UPS on the right. Big white container is ATO, blue container is overflow protection to catch water when/if pumps turn off.

20170911_090618.jpg

Justin84, joseserrano and Elder1945 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted