Carbon spilled in sump. Problem?

  • Thread starter Thread starter EpicWin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

EpicWin

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 8, 2011
Messages
468
Reaction score
17
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a bag of carbon somehow open up and spill in a very difficult place in my sump to get to. I am moving in 5 months and am hoping it's ok to just leave it until then when I can get to it when I have to tear down. Any thoughts anyone?
 
It happened too me I cleaned what I could the problem it caused was it got sucked into my skimmer pump!
 
Epic, while not an immediate danger I would definitely try to siphon it out (Via water-change) if you can. Carbon catches a lot of "stuff" quickly, and can also "fill up" quickly... eventually it will just let loose everything it caught should it stay in the water column too long.
 
I'd try and suck it out with a wet/dry shop vac.
 
So I had to finally tear down and get it out. It was really fine grade carbon and my skimmer has just eaten it all into its main chamber. Man always something in this hobby lol
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new