CCOMBS FIRST REEF!

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your anemone is just doing what anemones do! The monti looks like it’s in pretty rough shape, probably well passed being able to save it, though only time will tell. Not sure what the grey funk is! (See it didn’t take long for your tank to stump me) :p

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your anemone is just doing what anemones do! The monti looks like it’s in pretty rough shape, probably well passed being able to save it, though only time will tell. Not sure what the grey funk is! (See it didn’t take long for your tank to stump me) :p
I was kinda thinking the same thing on the monti. It is crazy how quick it turned. It was starting to grow off the plug and showing great color, then I decided to move it so it wouldn't get sand dumped on it all the time. Next thing I know it turned white overnight practically.

I have a feeling that they grey stuff is algae that has been coated in some sort of detritus. Time for that blenny to earn his pay!

Luckily the Softies and LPS seem to be flourishing.

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, in the immediate future I am going 2 days (from when I stirred up all the gunk) without feeding. There was plenty of junk washed into the display that the fish can eat. Until I get my nitrates sorted I am reducing feeding (I was feeding too much per day) in size and frequency. I am doing smaller feedings every other day to try to get this controlled.

I am also amazed by how much better my return pumps function now that they are clean!

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since cleaning out the back and reducing feeding, my nitrates are now at 40ppm. Not great, but with a little more work I think I can get it where it needs to be!

EDIT-

I have also identified all algae in tank that I need to get rid of... surprise surprise, they are the ones that feed of nitrates. I work so hard on my tank, I don't understand why proper nitrate levels elude me.

I have the following:
Gelidlopsis (Wire Algae)
Bubble Algae

Shout out to @Steven R for such a great algae write up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone is not doing well, and of course it happens the first day I am out of town. Everything else looks great, my wife promises me that she does not poison the tank when I am gone lol. The tank is always looking great when I am home haha. I have a thread going in tank emergency.

Basically the first day I am out of town, the anemone develops a white spot. Today it has almost covered the whole thing.

Ignore the bubble algae. I have been doing manual removal, but I didn't know I had it in this part of the tank since it is hidden.

Yesterday-
IMG_4069.JPG

Today-
IMG_4068.JPG

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, anemone dissolved as my wife pulled it out of the tank. Unfortunately the rip was too much to heal from.

I had her drop some fresh carbon in to hopefully help with any toxin issues.

I am going to focus on my nitrate issue, once I get that under control I will probably try an anemone again.

Anyone have any ideas beyond my reduced feeding schedule? I can't figure out why everyone can get their nitrates in check, but I am constantly struggling, even with good husbandry.

Finally, shout out to @samnaz for not knowing the difference between production equipment and an anemone (separate PM ;Shamefullyembarrased ;Shamefullyembarrased :D:D)

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, shout out to @samnaz for always giving me great advice. We talked about this issue outside of this thread already and came up with a game plan.

I bought a purple hammer today for a steal of a price and am super pumped about it. While removing it from the plug after dipping, I accidentally split the coral. You will see in the first picture the big crack on the base. The next picture shows hairline cracks going up to the top.

After discussing this issue with her, this is what my game plan is. Tomorrow (or whenever) the coral shows any sign of decaying tissue or worse... brown jelly, I will immediately remove and take this as a lesson learned. Hopefully the coral will re-calcify and I will be good to go! In theory it is kind of like I fragged my own new coral... right?

I am most worried about BJD, but so far there are no signs of it, and I guess it would be pretty immediate.

I put some glue in the crack to hopefully keep it in one piece. Also, my dang Goby already dumped sand on the thing... way to add insult to injury.

@Rick.45cal, @Hemmdog and @dantimdad also know their stuff like Sam. What do y'all think???

IMG_4112.jpg
IMG_4113.jpg

In regards to my other tank developments, I replaced my filter floss with a Nitrate pad that will theoretically absorb Nitrate and act as mechanical filtration. For physical removal of the current bubble algae, I added an emerald crab.

I also re-seeded my chaeto that @Eagle_Steve was kind enough to provide awhile back. It filled my tank with pods, but they were eaten rather quickly. I am hoping to seed a few more times over the next few weeks and keep up a population.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’ve done everything you can for it, now you just have to wait and see what happens. Ill keep my fingers crossed for you.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your anemone, once they start going they go quick. Nothing smells worse than a dead anemone. (You should buy your wife flowers and dinner for getting it out of the tank and not divorcing you afterwards).

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your anemone, once they start going they go quick. Nothing smells worse than a dead anemone. (You should buy your wife flowers and dinner for getting it out of the tank and not divorcing you afterwards).
Didn't realize it was that bad lol

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news! Last night I checked on the coral and it opened up from a 'I am mad about being transported and cut' stage to a 'I am partially closed because the lights are off' stage. Let's see what happens when lights come on in a few hours.

This picture is this morning, lights still off.

IMG_4116.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super cool update-

The hammer has formed almost like a clear scab over a large section of the break. You can still kind of see the break underneath, but it is crazy how much it calcified in a day.

Overall I am feeling better about the coral. It is still relatively retracted compared to the store, but nothing outside of normal expectations during acclimation.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super cool update-

The hammer has formed almost like a clear scab over a large section of the break. You can still kind of see the break underneath, but it is crazy how much it calcified in a day.

Overall I am feeling better about the coral. It is still relatively retracted compared to the store, but nothing outside of normal expectations during acclimation.
Hoping for the best! Keep us updated! ;-)

OP
OP
ccombs

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunate news, the purple hammer got brown jelly disease while I was out of town. My wife quickly removed it and so far it appears the disease did not spread. I guess only time will tell. I called my LFS and they are ordering another purple hammer for me. Hopefully I can put this one in without incident.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back