Chromis/Damselfish reef tank?

FISHYLove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am tired of spending tons of money on fish. I am a college student so money and time are limited and I want to be able to put all my focus and money into my coral. so I was thinking of just getting a lot of different kinds of Chromis and Damselfish. it seems like a good way to get an active looking reef. I have a 90g tank. I was wondering if anyone has done this? and I would love to hear some thoughts on it or recommendations.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done this, but I can definitely say that I really appreciate my school of chromis. They have really great temperaments - they haven't ever bothered anything else in the tank and very rarely bicker among themselves. There are so many chromis to choose from as well! Some aren't as common (or cheap) as the blues, but they're not outrageous! I'm a college student as well, so I understand the appeal of saving some cash.

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you had enough numbers you would be alright, and I like the idea!

ss95003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blue green Chromis yes, any other Damselfish I think you will regret later. Any will likely start to pick off your chromis.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never kept them with Chromis, but I've got a trio of azure damsels (Chrysiptera hemicyanea) in my 65 gallon reef. They get along for the most part, keeping their bickering to themselves - but they have been proper jerks to just a couple of newer introductions: a social fairy wrasse and a royal gramma, of all things. I've heard good things about Allen's damsels and Talbot's damsels, and plan to add a trio of the latter when I ever get the big tank up and running. Don't forget that clownfish are also damsels . . . Abudefduf and Dascyllis damsels (think Sgt. Majors and Dominos / two-three-or-four-striped damselfish) have a reputation for getting big and very cranky.

For myself, although damsels are bright and active, hovering and darting just above the rocks, they're only part of the diversity that drew me to the salty side. My tank contains everything from wrasses and dartfish who cruise just below the surface to gobies on the sandbed; from the slim shrimpgobies to the billboard bodies of dwarf angelfish.

~Bruce

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 66 gallon tank where I am trying to figure which small damsels could fit. My intention is to have many individuals of different species to keep aggressiveness in level.
Now I have Chromis wanderbiltii, Pomacentrus alleni, Chrysiptera rollandi - fiji and Pomacentrus mollucensis. I have to take out the mollucensis. They are to aggressive. I ordered Chrysiptera talboti and got those.
I thought an Wholesaler would see the difference so I didn´t check before adding them. Stupid I know.
Next addition will be Chromis dimidiata. Aggressive species but will be the smallest fishes. Maybe I will add Chrysiptera parasema too but they might be too aggressive compared to the other.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back