Cloudy water?

force_of_echo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey team!

So a few days ago I decided to buy 25kg live rock due to my tank being cloudy etc, the tank has been established for near 2 weeks now! I been doing the prawn method LOL

anyway to cut the story short I bought the 25KG live rock and instantly put colony to seriously get things going!

m tank has been cloudy since day 2 and still now it’s cloudy! I’ve literally done a few water changes to no avail!
My friend gave me this bottle but NOT a sure if it can be used on marine tanks as it doesn’t state! But I’ve heard others used it on marine tank but I just wanted to ask the geniuses here rather then reading comments from untrusted sources!

the colony was used on day 10 then day 13 I put the live rock! But the cloudiness has been going since day 2.

thank you everyone :)

1A4AF79E-7DD8-4C4E-8889-8B8F9CAAE410.jpeg F717A593-CF1E-4FFC-A117-841F767073B7.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its cloudy because bacteria was eating the prawn (the cloudiness is the heterotrophic bacteria). Clearing up products won't do anything. I assume there is no fish in there? Also, the prawn isn't still in there right?

OP
OP
force_of_echo

force_of_echo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply!
Nope the prawn came out and then a day later I added the ATM colony, as I wanted to kickstart things quicker! And with colony apparently you can add fish on the same day but I left it for 3 days to ensure its 100% safe! I checked ammonia and nitrites and everything is perfect as well!
There is an all red shrimp (forgot the name!)
And 2 platinum clownies as recommended by my lfs to have some fish to keep the cycle going before I stock up etc and I really loved the platinum clownies
Any idea how long before the water clears up?
Thank you for all your help! :)

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply!
Nope the prawn came out and then a day later I added the ATM colony, as I wanted to kickstart things quicker! And with colony apparently you can add fish on the same day but I left it for 3 days to ensure its 100% safe! I checked ammonia and nitrites and everything is perfect as well!
And 2 platinum clownies as recommended by my lfs to have some fish to keep the cycle going before I stock up etc and I really loved the platinum clownies
I agree with spare time that it will probably be the new bacteria in a new tank. Just be patient it will eventually go away, mine took a few weeks when I started both of my tanks

As for the interpet quick clear I wouldnt advise using it in a marine tank, they are products that are aimed at the freshwater market, I spoke to one of their reps before and he recommended I didn't use many of their products in a reef tank.

The shrimp sounds like a fire shrimp/blood shrimp

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply!

You can add a cheap uv sterilizer. I like the green killing machine. Make sure to have pumps or wavemakers going and aimed to agitate the water surface. Other than that, make sure you rinse filter pads once a day to keep any "food" for the bacteria at a minimum.

OP
OP
force_of_echo

force_of_echo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing reply from all of you thank you so so very much! I’ll steer clear from the interpet liquid! I’ll just let nature do it’s thing!
I have a 6000Lp/h wave maker and the clownies love it!! It’s pointing at the top part to agitate the water as stated so it provides excellent water circulation!
So the filter has only been running for a maximum of only 2 weeks I wouldn’t see how it would have any food considering I only had the prawn in there? I also have put in an activated carbon bag! You recon I should take the filter and give the sponges a nice clean tomorrow?

thank you so much for the replies!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back