Clownfish Ich

Isaac_Tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I just wanted more input but I’ve been trying to keep clownfish in my tank, I’ve been taking my water weekly to WWC and LFS for test and everything is fine, all my parameters are fine, I’ve been able to keep in the tank a Hippo Blue tang, purple tang, chromis and a blue throat trigger. I’ve been wanting to have clownfish but everytime I get them they get ich within a week of being in the tank. The other fish don't get ich they eat perfectly fine but I even added a mandarin goby and he’s been fine for over 2 months no problem but I’ve ran through 3 pairs of clowns, any ideas? I thought clowns being so tough they can fight through ich compared to tangs but I’ve had more luck keeping tangs than clowns. I’ve also had a mimic chocolate tang but I sold him bc I had someone who wanted him

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why you should qt all fish in copper before adding to your dt sorry for your situation, but I would recommend removing all fish and treating in a separate quarantine system for copper therapeutic level for 30 days make your DT fallow for min 72 days and should be good after that

OP
OP
Isaac_Tang

Isaac_Tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the clowns get ich and die in the DT while all the other fish are perfectly fine? This happened 3 times?
Yes, and only the clownfish, I’ve bought the trigger on the 1st round of clownfish and the trigger never got ich, had flukes but I did a freshwater dip 2 days straight and now he’s healthy eating (had him for about 1 month) I treated the tank to kill all adults and eggs of ich from what WWC gave me I have a UV sterilization in the sump, I’m doing water changes every 3 days doing a 20% water change and cleaning the sand every time, my fish look healthy I’m just worried if I add another pair of clowns they’ll just die

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
That's odd that just the clownfish are effected and no other fish. Do the other fish have spots?

Like the other member mentioned, you should pull all your fish and run in a quarantine for 30 days at therapeutic levels.

You dont have many fish so its not that much of a hassle.

OP
OP
Isaac_Tang

Isaac_Tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's odd that just the clownfish are effected and no other fish. Do the other fish have spots?

Like the other member mentioned, you should pull all your fish and run in a quarantine for 30 days at therapeutic levels.

You dont have many fish so its not that much of a hassle.
Other fish don’t have any spots at all, I bought stuff at my LFS for running a copper quarantine tank just to be safe

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Other fish don’t have any spots at all, I bought stuff at my LFS for running a copper quarantine tank just to be safe
They may be running low doses of Copper to keep ich at bay. When they come to your house and in your non copper tank, that's when they reveal that they been there. I'd definitely start your QT tank. Can you buy used 40 breeder near by?

OP
OP
Isaac_Tang

Isaac_Tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may be running low doses of Copper to keep ich at bay. When they come to your house and in your non copper tank, that's when they reveal that they been there. I'd definitely start your QT tank. Can you buy used 40 breeder near by?
I have the tank set up already I actually moved the fish in the QT tank today so I’m going to follow through and do a fallow period for the DT, would it be advised if I do a 90% water change? I’ve mainly done 20% changes for the past 2 weeks every 3 days would doing a large water change help at all or would that be too drastic?

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I have the tank set up already I actually moved the fish in the QT tank today so I’m going to follow through and do a fallow period for the DT, would it be advised if I do a 90% water change? I’ve mainly done 20% changes for the past 2 weeks every 3 days would doing a large water change help at all or would that be too drastic?
I'd just run it fallow. Someone else may chime in, but as long as the parasite does not have a host for 72-76 days you should be good to go.

The water changes in the quarantine is recommended. Do you have Seachem badges yet? Those will be very helpful to let you know when you need a water change.

I was recently educated on Seachem Prime. This product allows you to bypass water changes in your quarantine by removing Ammonia and Nitrates/Nitrites. I still do water changes on the quarantine but not as much. I was literally doing 10% every other day and going through RODI / Salt like crazy. It's really up to you, but you definitely want ammonia to never be present in dangerous levels.

OP
OP
Isaac_Tang

Isaac_Tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just run it fallow. Someone else may chime in, but as long as the parasite does not have a host for 72-76 days you should be good to go.

The water changes in the quarantine is recommended. Do you have Seachem badges yet? Those will be very helpful to let you know when you need a water change.

I was recently educated on Seachem Prime. This product allows you to bypass water changes in your quarantine by removing Ammonia and Nitrates/Nitrites. I still do water changes on the quarantine but not as much. I was literally doing 10% every other day and going through RODI / Salt like crazy. It's really up to you, but you definitely want ammonia to never be present in dangerous levels.
Thank you so much, I don’t have a Seachem badge but I did a quick search and I can order one on Amazon for a same day delivery I’m working today so I know by the time I get off my LFS will be closed for the day

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back