Colorada vs Chicago sunburst

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen either of them in person, and I was wanting to get the opinion of those who have.

Also what is your favorite Bta?

images (3).jpeg download (1).jpeg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colorados seem much more vibrant in my experience even thou I’ve never owned a Chicago personally…a couple of friends have chicagos and they’re beautiful and look similar but just don’t have that yellow on the tips as much and not as vibrant! It could be water quality I’m not positive but any of the colorados I’ve owned including current one just glow compared to Chicago

OP
OP
T

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colorados seem much more vibrant in my experience even thou I’ve never owned a Chicago personally…a couple of friends have chicagos and they’re beautiful and look similar but just don’t have that yellow on the tips as much and not as vibrant! It could be water quality I’m not positive but any of the colorados I’ve owned including current one just glow compared to Chicago
I have heard opinions that people like chicacos because they have streaks on the tentacles. Are they that prominent and do they make them look that much better?

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen both in person, they're both very brightly colored compared to standard rainbow BTAs. I like Chicago better because it has a nice lemon yellow coloring to it, where the Colorado is more orange in color.

OP
OP
T

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what this nem is? It is just labeled blue striped bta.

Attachments

• BlueStripesBubbleApprox3-4_-_200_900x.png
    BlueStripesBubbleApprox3-4_-_200_900x.png
    664.7 KB · Views: 91

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what this nem is? It is just labeled blue striped bta.
All of these anemones are Entacmaea quadricolor with different color variations. They are all the same species, the naming is just an indicator it is a clone from some lineage, meaning it has been aquacultured and sold that way. AquaSD has a few aquacultured bubble-tip anemones (which they label as such) but most of them are from the wild which is why they are just described by their color. In theory all colorado sunbursts originated from 1 anemone that was imported from the wild, its not like you can go out into the wild looking for a colorado sunburst or a "Nexus" bubble-tip anemone. You can find something similar in color but it will not be a clone of the one that sold in the trade.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of these anemones are Entacmaea quadricolor with different color variations. They are all the same species, the naming is just an indicator it is a clone from some lineage, meaning it has been aquacultured and sold that way. AquaSD has a few aquacultured bubble-tip anemones (which they label as such) but most of them are from the wild which is why they are just described by their color. In theory all colorado sunbursts originated from 1 anemone that was imported from the wild, its not like you can go out into the wild looking for a colorado sunburst or a "Nexus" bubble-tip anemone. You can find something similar in color but it will not be a clone of the one that sold in the trade.
LOL am I the only one not seeing the blue stripes on that so-called "blue striped BTA"? ;)

Any wild anemone that has characteristics of a CSB can be called a sunburst, but never a Colorado Sunburst.

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL am I the only one not seeing the blue stripes on that so-called "blue striped BTA"? ;)

Any wild anemone that has characteristics of a CSB can be called a sunburst, but never a Colorado Sunburst.
Agree the I did not see the blue but maybe under a different lighting? Lol

Also yes true but the characteristics are only based on color and since color perception is subjective we could call anything remotely similar a sunburst. In some people’s eyes we could call the one above a purple stripe sunburst. I don’t mind the naming but the marketing side kills me because there are so many factors that influence what you see in the picture on the internet. I have picked up some bland looking anemones from LFS labeled as just “RBTA” but colored up in my tank like some of the high end anemones out there.

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6556.jpeg

This one is from tidal gardens, some kind of “Speckled Bubble Tip Anemone”. This is an iPhone photo but I bet if I had a fancy camera with great filters I could market this as something crazy and charge $500.

OP
OP
T

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6556.jpeg

This one is from tidal gardens, some kind of “Speckled Bubble Tip Anemone”. This is an iPhone photo but I bet if I had a fancy camera with great filters I could market this as something crazy and charge $500.
That might be a supernova. I think they have white spots. What you stated is kinda exactly what people do.

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally the Nexus Burst Anemone is the only one I think is worth the money because it is truly a rare occurrence to find an anemone or even corals to display this color pattern naturally. Usually one becomes predominant.

OP
OP
T

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally the Nexus Burst Anemone is the only one I think is worth the money because it is truly a rare occurrence to find an anemone or even corals to display this color pattern naturally. Usually one becomes predominant.
I agree. Sadly with the nexus burst whenever it splits it loses the color mix little by little. So they just become one color.

jmoneyyy703

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So nexus has the potential to split colors but it can also gain back split colors even with an 99% green or 99% orange. I have several that were split poorly (almost all green or orange), but came back as new splits or growing into 50-50, 60-40, 70-30.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That might be a supernova. I think they have white spots. What you stated is kinda exactly what people do.
Not really. For some, yes. But the lineages discussed here, CSB, ChiSB, CC Supernova are very specific and identifiable by certain traits.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i have a colorado SB. i definitely believe they are more vibrant than the chicago and seem to have color phases as well, where they shift from bright orange to bright gold/yellow tips (inappropriatereefer mentions this in a few of his videos).

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back